GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,425
3 members and 1,422 guests
PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034

Old 01-18-2008, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
First, powerful article.

Second, you impress me, NB!

*takes a bow* Well thank ya kindly I've been on top of this Jena case like sugar on a cookie since it began. This is my generation and I feel as if people look at us like we will be the ruin of all humanity so I have to support the kinfolk.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-18-2008, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I thought I was the only one who thought "awww" when they thought of Ziasha! Awwwww......

And I am SO waiting for the day when we read her "announcement" lol..... I just hope we don't have to wait too terribly long!
I KNOW!!! Now I HAVE to pm her and tell her to read this thread! LOL
Old 01-18-2008, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NappyBison View Post
like sugar on a cookie
LOL!!!! (I'm so stealing this)
Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Oh lawd, now you want to go and "jock my phrases" lol Don't you go around telling people you thought of that on your own.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh lawd, now you want to go and "jock my phrases" lol Don't you go around telling people you thought of that on your own.
Holy crap, she put me in my place! You'll do JUST FINE here, NB!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
/smalljack
Eventhough I don't like 49Cent I am still CTFU at "I love you like a fat kid love cake" ROTFLMAOBBQ
Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

----->*In best Jim Carey voice* They like me, they really like me!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
----->*In best Jim Carey voice* They like me, they really like me!!!
*us old folks cringe that that's her frame of reference and not Sally Field...*
Old 01-18-2008, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908Revelations View Post
/smalljack
Eventhough I don't like 49Cent I am still CTFU at "I love you like a fat kid love cake" ROTFLMAOBBQ
No she didn't SMH I have started something now, I better go to bed before I have y'all reminiscing about middle school and other random foolishness :rolling:
Old 01-18-2008, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Yep.

Minorities groups take back words all the time and reassign definitions.
That's what I'm saying! How come these reassigned definition words in reference to AA's seem to start with "N"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Like the old t-shirts say: I'm happy to be nappy. It has never been a pejorative in my family or in my community.
More like Stevie Wonder's song as he refers to "nappy headed boy"? So we really shouldn't be angry with Imus for what he said regarding women, some who are of African descent?

Quote:
Nappy doesn't strike me as a negative term because that is a term used to describe the texture of my hair. African-Americans have been taught to dislike their hair because it doesn't stand up to "European standards of beauty". We've been conditioned to "tame" it and keep it's natural kinks and coils hidden through chemical processing. No disrespect to those who chemically process their hair, I just have different views. I also have a pretty decent grasp on my African-American history as well. Don't count the high schooler out just yet, she's gained a plethora of knowledge despite this horrid public school system
Your opinions stated here conflicts your comments made in other threads, there is a dichotomy of caring what the KKK does and how you have chosen to present yourself to my Sorority on GC. Now, if you think you will be able to impress my sorors on Howard's campus with the way you have chosen to present yourself, be my guest. Let us hope you are as intelligent as you think you are...

The word "nappy" comes from a certain derivation to describe Africans who were enslaved. The true designs and shapes of hair from Africans transcend the nascent truth of one's one self-discovery of his or her "roots". Because there was strong salt water interaction on the slave ships the true coiffure was mangled. Then the heads were shaved as well as jewelery and other accouterments of the "savage" nature... So when the kid"napper" and enslaver choose to define your nascent self, know where it comes from and why...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
That's what I'm saying! How come these reassigned definition words in reference to AA's seem to start with "N"?

More like Stevie Wonder's song as he refers to "nappy headed boy"? So we really shouldn't be angry with Imus for what he said regarding women, some who are of African descent?

Your opinions stated here conflicts your comments made in other threads, there is a dichotomy of caring what the KKK does and how you have chosen to present yourself to my Sorority on GC. Now, if you think you will be able to impress my sorors on Howard's campus with the way you have chosen to present yourself, be my guest. Let us hope you are as intelligent as you think you are...

The word "nappy" comes from a certain derivation to describe Africans who were enslaved. The true designs and shapes of hair from Africans transcend the nascent truth of one's one self-discovery of his or her "roots". Because there was strong salt water interaction on the slave ships the true coiffure was mangled. Then the heads were shaved as well as jewelery and other accouterments of the "savage" nature... So when the kid"napper" and enslaver choose to define your nascent self, know where it comes from and why...
Admittidly, didn't know that last piece of information, learn something new everyday. But I'm still confident that I haven't contradicted myself in previous threads. I maintain that KKK is wrong for their pursuit of "white supremacy" and that their actions, as usual, are in dissonance with I beleive in. The fact that I am not pained over the term nappy, is still the same despite how it is viewed by the KKK themselves or otherwise.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But I'm still confident that I haven't contradicted myself in previous threads. I maintain that KKK is wrong for their pursuit of "white supremacy" and that their actions, as usual, are in dissonance with I beleive in. The fact that I am not pained over the term nappy, is still the same despite how it is viewed by the KKK themselves or otherwise.
There will 2 worlds you will have to decide: one that says just as you are and how your think of yourself is cool; and one that says you much transcend beyond all concepts of oneself. Remember, "not being pained" when a bigoted white male calls you the same... That is what the rappers say with the "N-word" currently...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 01-18-2008, 03:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
According to this site: http://www.billcasselman.com/wording_room/nappy.htm
Quote:
The word nappy began its life innocently enough as the adjectival offspring of the word nap. Nap is a fuzzy surface layer on yarn or cloth. Nap is teased up or raised higher by brushing the cloth against a rough surface. Our common weed teasel is named because it was used long ago to tease up the nap on cloth. Nap on wool was often shaved off and used to fill pillows. A number of words were brought to England during the 14th and 15th centuries by Dutch weavers who came to Britain to ply their trade. One of these words from Middle Dutch was noppich , ‘nappy’ an adjective referring to cloth that had a fiber-thick surface layer that could be trimmed down or teased up and cut even
And then that this transitioned into talking about African hair.

Unfortunately nearly everything with the word Nappy in a google search comes up Don Imus. But I saw at least one other site that mentioned that the true etymology of the word isn't known.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Thank you, Drolefille.

Well, it seems as though NappyBison is confident, smart, and not easily bullied. I like her.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^^-------He is one of the nappiest headed people here....hehehehe

And sadly enough some folks need the word 'nappy' explained to just like they need the word 'ghetto' explained.

This thread reminds me of one of the times I had to 'educate' one of my more 'ig'nant melanin deficient associates on the finer points of that word usage a few years ago in Atlanta....altho no bones were broken....some feelings got seriously hurt.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

Last edited by DaemonSeid; 01-18-2008 at 07:56 AM.