GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,432
3 members and 1,429 guests
aantonygooglet9, John

Old 05-02-2000, 02:32 AM

Question NPC 2000 - What do you think?

At Oregon State University, NPC 2000 is being implemented at the end of Spring Term 2000. It declares that fraternities and sororities at our university can't have parties with alcohol together anymore. UNLESS, we go to a remote location and get a third party vendor. Also, if more than two greek women are over at a Fraternity with alcohol and partying, they're in big trouble, because that's not allowed either. If we do party at a frat, we must have them remove all alcohol from the house before the party begins. Just curious to see what all of you Greeks out there think of this situation we're in here at Oregon State. Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-02-2000, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
NPC2000 is an agreement that the national officers of all 26 NPC fraternities support and is the wave of the future. Fraternity life used to be completely "dry". Maybe by eliminating some of the things that give us a negative stereotype, we can concentrate on those things our Founders had in mind when they created our GLOs.

Old 05-02-2000, 09:59 AM

Thumbs down

The third party vendor part is in line with the national NPC resolution, which I’ve already spouted off my thoughts about in other threads. I assume this applies to things that are voted on and approved by the chapter. I don’t agree with it, but I suppose everyone’s doing it.

But the part about more than two women being at a fraternity house….that’s bleeping ridiculous. You mean to tell me that if you and 2 of your sisters all independently show up at an open party, they’ve got to get rid of the alcohol? Yeah, that’s gonna happen…more likely you will be asked to leave! That is a complete violation of your individual civil rights. You didn’t give up being Amber when you joined a sorority, and if you want to go to a fraternity party, that’s your choice. Not only that, what is the point of being in a sorority if you can’t hang out and have fun with your sisters? It’s dumb-ass policies like this that are ruining the Greek experience.

There were a heck of a lot of nights, completely spontaneous, where 20+ of my sisters ended up at the same fraternity house, for OBVIOUS reasons…we were all friends and liked to hang out at the same places with the same people. That’s always been the way it is and always will be. What in God’s name have we come to when you can’t be friends with your sisters anymore?

Like I said, this is completely against your individual rights. I would fight it tooth and nail.
Old 05-02-2000, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs down

Not that it matters much, as I'm not even part of an NPC group, but here's my 2 cents anyways...

I totally understand the reasoning behind the initiative. Even more, I understand the desired results.
I think the problem lies within some of the means of getting there (Do the ends always justify the means?). Saying that all NPC sororities are going dry is one thing: meaning that they don't throw parties with alcohol or have alcohol in the house. (Although, as I've stated before, I think that adults should be treated as such, and this doesn't do that). If the sororites decided on this, then that's what they decided. Several fraternities have "gone dry" or are working on it by a specific deadline anyways.

Not being allowed to attend a party, however, is ridiculous. I could almost see if the initiative prevented the sorority going, as a unified group, to parties. But I agree with 33.. what happens when my friend and I show up at XYZ's fraternity party, where there happens to be alcohol, and find that 2 of our sisters are already there. Do you think anyone's going to be like:
"ok everyone.. PUT DOWN YOUR DRINKS.. there are now 4 sisters of ABC sorority here, and there will be no more alcohol at this party AS OF NOW".
And then everyone will just stop drinking? Uh huh.

I don't know if you could legally say this violates your civil rights, but it theoretically sounds like it violates my (anyone's) civil rights to me.

I would (and did) join a dry GLO. That wasn't even an issue for me. But if they would have informed me that I couldn't be present at ANYONE ELSE'S parties where alchohol was served, even when I am OF LEGAL DRINKING AGE, I would think twice. What does that say about the leaders' (nationally and locally) opinions of us as undergraduate members? What if it's just a couple of my friends and I getting together for dinner + we each have a drink or 2? And we're also sisters or brothers?

The other aspect that concerns me is that fraternities + sororities can have parties w/ alcohol through "3rd party vendors".. my understanding is that, basically, they can have events + parties at bars or other locations that serve alcohol. While the idea of Greeks being portrayed as "dry" this is all fine + good, it seems to me that this wasn't thought through a whole lot. At least not from many perspectives. My little school didn't have housing to begin with. The social GLOs were all locals. Almost all of their parties were held off-campus. The number of students who went to these events were few. Who wants to get all the way downtown (or wherever the event is at) + then have to find a safe way to get home (especially if they've been drinking)? I never would.. I would rather stay close enough to campus that I felt safe walking. You can talk about designated drivers + such, but we all know that plans can change, + it might not be your fault. But things do happen. The whole 3rd party idea, to me, seems to encourage off-campus drinking, which has obvious (+ not-so-obvious) negative sides.

I respect the fact that NPC wants to see changes... this is a good thing. But not at the expense of trust and respect with your members. What I've noticed with "zero tolerance" type policies is that they are initiated by a governing body because things have gotten out of hand.. and things wouldn't have gotten out of hand if they would have been dealt with properly in the 1st place.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter

[This message has been edited by SilverTurtle (edited May 02, 2000).]