GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,014
1 members and 1,013 guests
sabellashulzez9

Old 01-23-2000, 03:42 PM
Artimis

Question Responsiblity of Hazing

To start a discussion on Hazing -

With recent attempts of most National Organizations to remove all forms of hazing from its chapters, the question of responsiblity comes up. When an incident occurs within a GLO that could be construde as hazing, where should the responsiblity for the action be placed? -- The individuals invovled? The University? All members of the local chapter? National officers? The National Organization?

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-23-2000, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I personaly feel that the responsibility of the hazing should be placed on those conducting the actions. If someone is determined to haze, the National Officers, the National Organizaion, and even the University is not going to stop them. I feel the only ones who should be punished are those who are hazing. I do have one question. If the person who is being hazed does not mind the hazing or does not consider it hazing, but the University or National Organization does, can those involved still be punished? I don't think they should be since it does not seem to be bothering anyone, but I think I'm wrong. Thanks

Allison

------------------
Somewhere, somehow, it should be possible to touch someone and never let go again. To hold someone, not for a moment but forever.

Old 01-24-2000, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I think the majority of the responsibility should fall on the persons actually involved in the hazing activity, however, the chapter must be disciplined to some extent for allowing this type of behavior to happen in the first place. Too often there can be an environment of "don't see, don't tell", and that cycle must be broken.

In addition, new members need to more thoroughly educated that this is not the way things are done and what avenues they have to safely report an activity that may be considered hazing.

Whether or not the person that was hazed considers him/herself abused is irrelevant - if the behaviors are in conflict with organization, univeristy or state/federal law, the hazing is wrong and the 'hazee' should be punished for accepting or even encouraging this behavior.

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.

Old 01-24-2000, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Hazing takes many forms and in some cases, I don't believe that it is possible to punish just those who are doing the crime. In some cases it is necessary to find the whole chapter guilty. When hazing takes place there is the "don't tell anyone we did this or else" factor. Or else what? Well, that can be quite frightening. In that case, the "pledges" will not come forward and state who the offenders are. I don't believe that a chapter should be allowed to stay on campus if there is a threat there. I don't care if it is only one person doing the hazing. Nobody should be put through a hazing experience and then told "don't tell or else." That is where the complication lies. The term "hazing" was defined to me as actions that were unwanted to the "Pledge." Or unsafe, physically or emotionally damaging. Now, the scavanger hunt issue can be both hazing and not hazing acording to the definition that was given. It really depends on the "pledge" class. (please forgive me for using the word "pledge" that was what it was called when i was in school and i realize that it is no longer in use, but i don't know what else to say). You might have a bunch of girls that will say "haze me! I want this to be a fun experience" Now according to my definition, that is not possible. But we can come up with fun things to do that we don't have to say "don't tell or else" We can ask what kind of things the girls want to do. Give the girls a list of traditions (without telling them they are traditions) and say, now check the ones that you want to do, cross out the ones that you don't. Then they will know what to expect, but keep the date of the deeds confidential. That way there is the mystery, but they aren't going to do things they don't want to do or didn't concent to do. Hazing is just such a touchy topic. But if we follow the definition, we are safe. Anything that does not make a "pledge" uncomfortable, emotionally or physically damaging, or is unsafe is acceptable. Hever, we then get in to ethics. What is ethical, and what is not? I believe that is the real question. We will never find the answer to that.

------------------
"Unless it's mad, passionate, extraordinary love, than it's a waste of your time. There are too many mediocre things in life. Love shouldn't be one of them."

--From "Dream for an Insomniac"
Old 01-25-2000, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

The whole issue of hazing is stupid, If we were to ask a pledge to do something that is dangerous to themself or their pledge classand they actually contemplated on doing it, that would be the end of their pledging stint. We don't need people who are that stupid. We respect that not all girls are capable of the same things, and we, if need be, make arrangements for them. Asking or telling someone to do something harmful is one thing, but they ALWAYS have the right to refuse and say no. There is no reason that any organization should disrespect their opinion and kick them out, they are watching out for themselves and their pledge sisters and that is what we are going to respect. Not the girl that is dying to be in a group and will sacrifice her morals and values to be in it.

------------------
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, which is, which was, which is to come.

Old 03-22-2000, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Recently one of my sorority sisters and i got into trouble with my sorority for what they thought was hazing. The event which they were referring to was when one of our friends called a couple of pledges up and told them that their older sisters loved them and wanted them to sing a song. He made it very clear that they did not have to do this, and was very nice about it. The only reason that this event even occured was because we were talking to pledges that very night, and they felt as if they were being left out because no one had asked them to do anything yet. A lot of girls were sent on a scavenger hunt, from which they returned drunk that same night.(but no one got into trouble for hazing as a result of that) So the girls did this, but did not do what we asked them if they had wanted to do. instead of just going outside, they went up to a frat house and sang our sorority songs. we could not believe what we were hearing. we never asked them to do this and felt bad if this is what they thought we wanted them to do. i am very upset that people thought we hazed when we really didnt intend to. Would you considered this hazing? we told them they didnt have to do anything. i am just confused.
Old 10-09-2000, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

To start a discussion on Hazing -
With recent attempts of most National Organizations to remove all forms of hazing from its chapters, the question of responsiblity comes up. When an incident occurs within a GLO that could be construde as hazing, where should the responsiblity for the action be placed? -- The individuals invovled? The University? All members of the local chapter? National officers? The National Organization?
---------------------------
I think that the Universities need to be involved more, with the members of the chapters on their campuses. They need to know what is really going on. Disciplinary actions need to be taken by the university AND the national organization. Those who have been accused of hazing, need to be dealt with by the authorities. Stricter rules against hazing need to be applied so that this problem can be better controlled.