GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,657
2 members and 1,655 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 12-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Christmas Thread--Random

I must have set the record for shopping yesterday. We have a huge family and the teachers at my school don't even get out until December 22nd.

I do love the Christmas music on the radio! I'm getting real sick of "There's No Place Like Home For the Holidays"--that line "Pennsylvania and some homemade pumpkin pie" won't get out of my head.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I used to love Christmas music too. However, I've had to pick up a part time retail job and now I would be happy to never hear another Christmas song again. My store plays several different versions of about 10 songs total. It doesn't matter if it is a different arrangement by a different artist,it is still the same annoying song being played over and over again.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterngirl View Post
I used to love Christmas music too. However, I've had to pick up a part time retail job and now I would be happy to never hear another Christmas song again. My store plays several different versions of about 10 songs total. It doesn't matter if it is a different arrangement by a different artist,it is still the same annoying song being played over and over again.
I remember those days! I would like to hear the music much more if a) the lite music station didn't play it beginning Nov 1st (yes, all Christmas ALL the time -- geez, give Thanksgiving a chance people!) and b) they didn't try to put a rock edge on Away in a Manger like I heard yesterday on my contemporary Christian station

We have shopped for the kid pretty much all year, so he was taken care of for the most part. I got hubby's stuff done early as well. Now I am forced to either not tell him any hints & get who-knows-what or, tell him exactly what I want & spend yet another Christmas opening every gift knowing exactly what is inside Guys - girls are NOT hard to buy for - you just don't want to put the effort into it.

Everything is wrapped but can't go under the tree because of a certain lab puppy who thinks that the tree is her indoor playhouse (yes, she tries to climb THE tree!) The cats have never bothered the tree - none of my cats have actually - but the puppy thinks its fair game. We have the bottom half bare of ornaments now after we found her pulling them off one at a time & hiding them. Beneath our bed (don't ask me how she can still get under there - she is huge!) is like a treasure trove.

Here she is half in/half out of the tree!

Old 12-10-2006, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXO Alum View Post

This is the cutest picture!!!!!

I actually love Christmas music. I start playing it before Thanksgiving and until Christmas. My students love the Chipmunks song ("Me I want a hula hoop").

They are learning Feliz Navidad for a show. It's quite humerous because they sing it "Feliz Navada". Then when it comes to the "Prospero ano y Felicidad" they don't sing any of the begining and come in "Felicida". Hey, what can you do, their 1st graders.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 12-10-2006, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

So, here's my annual Christmas gift to everyone: recipes.

1)THESE ARE AWESOME
Easy Sausage Pinwheels

1 large can pillsbury crescent rolls
1 pkg cream cheese, softened
1 lb sausage, cooked, crumbled

Take crescent roll dough out of pkg, leave whole, and lay on flat surface covered with waxed paper. Pinch all the seams closed and use a rolling pin to flatten and stretch a little. Spread cream cheese over dough and top with sausage. Roll dough, tightly, into a log. Slice in, about, ½” slices. Place rounds on cookie sheet and place in 375F oven for 15 minutes.

2) Easy Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Meatballs:
2 lb hamburger
1 cup crackers, crushed
2 eggs
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tbsp onion

Sauce:
1 can jellied cranberry sauce 12 oz. bottle chili sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice

Mix meatball ingredients and form into balls. Can be frozen until ready to use.
For sauce: mix all ingredients with mixer, cook over medium heat until smooth. Pour over meatballs and bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Or put in crock pot to cook and keep hot for a party.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Those meatball recipes sound awesome Tippiechick. I may have to make them this week.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:24 PM

Those sweet and sour meatballs sound awesome.

I haven't done all my gift buying yet. Fortunately we don't have too many people to buy for. So far I have chocolates as a hostess gift for my mom, and... uh, that's it. I was also planning on making some cross stitch and needlepoint items as gifts... hasn't happened. In my defense, I've spent the last couple of months interviewing for a new job.

Call me Scrooge, but I cannot stand Christmas music. I don't know how the folks in retail handle the continuous loops of the same old songs. I like the hymns, but songs like "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" make me want to stick toothpicks in my ears. I <3 my iPod.

Merry Christmas... Happy Hanukkah... or as one of my mother's friends likes to say, "Happy Merry."
Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippiechick View Post
1)THESE ARE AWESOME
Easy Sausage Pinwheels
LOL!! Just before our first Christmas as a married couple, I got that recipe from my MIL with a note telling me that these were *ALWAYS* made on Christmas morning - LOL - they have yet to make an appearance in my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
This is the cutest picture!!!!!
Thanks, but this one (my little tomboy as I call her) is the cutest picture - she was out playing in the mud:

I would have used that for our Christmas cards, but hubby says we should at least have the kid in the picture -- so I ordered ones of the kid & Abby (the puppy) with Santa (AOII Alum & Carnation will be getting them shortly - Xylochick, GP, OTW, and kddani - PM/email me your addy's & I'll send them out

And y'all can thank GP for giving me the power to post pics everywhere
Old 12-10-2006, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I have absolutely no idea what to get my father or brother-in-law. Everyone else is done, but somehow I know Christmas Eve I'll be running around Target frantically trying to find something for each of them. Something that'll they'll never use, of course.

It's the thought that counts, right?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

So really wanted to go to San Francisco and get everyone presents from there? Why? I don't have any freakin idea, its not like SF has things we can't find anywhere else, but I just thought it be cool to say "yeah i got that in SF." But the closer I get to leaving back home for the holidays, the less i actually want to go and venture into the city. lol.

That means i'm gonna be stuck shopping at home in the malls with all the late shoppers

I need to learn how to use the BART! lol

P.S. my favorite thing to hear for the holidays is the Christmas story by Cheech and Chong

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

First, love those sausage pinwheels....I make them everytime I have to take a dish for work and everyone loves them....so easy too!!!

Second, I am waiting to get my tree until my husband gets home from a deployment (not anything war related). I decided to wait for him and because my three male dogs think their Christmas gift is that I brought a place to pee into the house for them. We can't put anything under the tree except newspaper until the night before Christmas for fear of someone marking their territory!!

I have to ship gifts to family all over, so gifts have to get bought and wrapped early. They were all sent last week, and I am done with the husband too. So now I feel completely bored and like I am forgetting to do something.

I had the WORST time with my father- and brother-in laws.....I ended up getting an indoor herb garden for the father because he likes to garden but can only do so a few months out of the year.....and the brother in law got a book.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

We just got our Christmas tree tonight! It really put me in the Christmas spirit . I have a little x-mas shopping done, but this is the first year that I've really struggled on what to get people.
I have no idea what to get my boyfriend's parents. The last couple of years I got them joint presents. This year I think I'm going to get them separate presents. My boyfriend doesn't even know what to get them himself, so he's little help.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

oh yeah.. P.S. i want to get all my sisters a little something, but what? What's the best thing to give 40+ girls? lol.

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Um hon, BART is one of the easiest systems to use, EVAH!

Oh yeah, I am over standing in the line at the post office! All of our friends and family are far away and I get stuck doing Mr. 1228's dirty work...shipping gifts to his family in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post

I need to learn how to use the BART! lol
Old 12-10-2006, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Every year it seems harder and harder to get people gifts for christmas- especially my mom and bf's mom! If they want anything, they basically just buy it for themselves. Eek and I need to make my mom's christmas extra special because her birthday gift was not so good.
What's worse is that I need to help my dad out this year especially (mom's turning 50 and 30th wedding aniversary), but he won't take the initiative. eek people need to stop buying things they want from about labor day on!