GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,191
1 members and 2,190 guests
No Members online

Old 09-16-2005, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Man
and as far as DSTCHAOS being my wife, she ain't the one.

This solidifies your weirdo status.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-2005, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS

This solidifies your weirdo status.

whoa
Old 09-16-2005, 09:52 AM

Didn't Susan Richardson freak out and run naked through a state park or something?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

she had a mental episode of some sort (not sure if it included streaking) but it was reported that she suffers from mental illness.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Man
as far as DSTCHAOS being my wife, she ain't the one.
your wife is a lucky woman if you show her as much diligence, care, and patience as you have shown us in presenting now defunct greeks.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ProPhetic1 Send a message via Yahoo to ProPhetic1
NPHC unanimously accepts Latino fraternity Gamma Phi Sigma
By PATRICIA TISAK
Collegian Staff Writer

The National Pan-Hellenic Council unanimously voted to accept Gamma Phi Sigma Inc. fraternity, a Latino organization, as a local chapter in its meeting this week.

Gamma Phi Sigma fraternity's six active members were elated when they first heard that they had been accepted into the NPHC, they said.

"I'm overwhelmed and happy that we've been given the opportunity to continue proving ourselves to the community," said Angel Parissi, fraternity president." It's a moment of extreme satisfaction" Rubén Bermejo, member of Gamma Phi Sigma fraternity. The fraternity applied for membership in 1994 but was denied admission because it did not receive the unanimous vote, which was necessary according to NPHC bylaws. Since then the bylaws have changed, requiring only a majority vote for new chapters, said Albert Motley, co-president of NPHC. "It's a moment of extreme satisfaction," said Rubén Bermejo, a member of Gamma Phi Sigma fraternity. "It's a positive thing that we get to work with the NPHC organizations so that we can enhance the ties between our communities." The chapter's acceptance into the council will be instrumental in bridging the gap between African-American and Latino communities, said Kina Wallace, co-president of NPHC. The NPHC is the governing body of historically black Greek organizations. The new addition to NPHC will promote the organizations in a positive manner, as well as uplift the group's sense of community, Motley said. This recent event for NPHC goes to show that two communities can come together to promote a common cause and to promote Greek life at Penn State, Motley said.

The recruitment techniques and the service reputation of NPHC as well as its smaller organizations may be some reasons why Gamma Phi Sigma chose to be recognized by it, said Stephen Rupprecht, NPHC adviser. I would say Gamma Phi Sigma applied for membership because this council could best meet the needs of that organization," Rupprecht said. The decision to accept the fraternity is beneficial for everyone involved, said Jason Rollins, president of Kappa Alpha Psi Inc. They're a very positive organization," he said, "and everybody comes out a winner with them coming to NPHC.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Although it happens all the time....

Quote:
Due to issues of liability, local organizations other than nationally affiliated organizations of NPHC, Inc. are strictly prohibited to sit on a local graduate or undergraduate council. If a council and/or college or university allows this violation that entity assume sole liability.

NPHC is by no means an exclusive organization. The NPHC Constitution and Bylaws and Task Force Summary report (October 1999) specifically outlines criteria for membership in NPHC, Inc. As is the case with the North-American Interfraternity Conference, Inc. (NAIC or NIC) and National Panhellenic Conference, Inc. (NPC), any national or international organization meeting the set criteria may petition for membership under the NPHC umbrella. The NPHC Constitution and Bylaws does allow for a category of membership known as an Associate Membership. However, under this category, membership is limited to businesses and/or individuals desiring to partner with NPHC, Inc. for mutually beneficial financial or in-kind gains; this affiliation does not include voting privileges.

Article IV - Membership, Section 2, of the current NPHC Constitution expounds upon this category of membership.
http://www.nphchq.org/resources.htm
Old 09-18-2005, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks R. That previous article confused me, because we had received no word that the NPHC was going to be considering a 10th organization at the convention. Then I realized it was talking about a local council of the NPHC.

Whew, it was misleading, and it may even be that they were admitted as an associate member, but the writer missed that.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 09-19-2005, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
it was misleading
Initially.

I assumed it was about a local affiliate or that this article was a hoax. LOL. I knew it wasn't about a 10th group. That is too "newsworthy" for a GC thread to be the first to really spill the beans.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ProPhetic1 Send a message via Yahoo to ProPhetic1
Im sorry to mislead U. I thought the artiocle was interesting considering the topic of inclusion of a 10 party. But I should have stated that it was @ a college/university.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ProPhetic1
Im sorry to mislead U. I thought the artiocle was interesting considering the topic of inclusion of a 10 party. But I should have stated that it was @ a college/university.
There are many, many local councils that include affiliate members at the college or university. This is NO WAY has any bearing on membership at the National level.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IOTA-4A'88F
This post is unbelievable. Everybody going back and forth about a tenth member this or not a tenth member that. Iota Phi Theta just celebrated their 42nd Anniversary and we are going strong into the future. We had our OWN identity for a long time and it did take a few tries to join on a NATIONAL level. The NPHC was the GREAT EIGHT(some called it the Elite Eight) for a long time and many INDIVIDUALS still feel that way today. Iotas are proud and honored to be part of the NPHC but sometimes we are not easily accepted because the NPHC was and to some to some is an elitist group.

Just the other day, I was wearing my letters and this older gentleman walked by me read my letters and said. "Iota Phi Theta, I didn't think yall would ever make it...yall don't have the same history as we do." I asked the gentleman if he was in a organization and he quickly replied with attitude that he was a --- and how his org. have a rich and long history. And walked away feeling good about himself. Unfortunately, many Iotas (especially the brothers from the 60's thru early 90's) have had similar experiences, but we know it is individuals that think that way. Not their orgs. Some paraphernalia sites still don't carry or design Iota products.

Does NPHC need or want a 10th member and are they elitists? I am not gonna say yes or no. I do know that NPHC as a whole and each of the Individual orgs have accopmplished some remarkable milestones in their history that they should be darn proud of. And to those orgs that are not NPHC...don't worry about it...as long as you are doing right by your organization, helping the community and loving your fellow frater or soror then you don't need the acceptance of another group.
Much respect and honor to all greek letter, non-greek letter and auxiliary orgs. Peace and Take Care.
MARCUS
That Spanish Harlem Iota Centaur Walking to Baltimore Iotaland.

Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. "OW~OW!!"
F&AM-PHA-MD "2B1~ASK1"
"I travel Li/G\ht and always follow the Polaris Star."

www.myspace.com/masdesigns06
Old 09-21-2005, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IotaNet
Nicely said, Frat.

Nicely said, indeed.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IotaNet
Nicely said, Frat.

Nicely said, indeed.
And what he said right there is why I admire the men of Iota Phi Theta!
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 09-21-2005, 04:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
And what he said right there is why I admire the men of Iota Phi Theta!
Strange thread.