GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,584
0 members and 1,584 guests
No Members online

Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Son of AGDee's College Search Thread

Today officially begins Son of AGDee's college search. We are going on a road trip along I-94 in Michigan to do quick drive by tours of Eastern Michigan, U of M, Albion College, Western Michigan, Kalamazoo College and Grand Valley State University. He has no idea what type of campus he would like, size, etc. so we're hitting some of everything just to help him get a clue. It's a beautiful day and we shall have fun with our ipods and hope to find a couple interesting restaurants along the way too. Round trip would be about 7 hours with no stops, but we'll have some short stops.

He will also bring his APUSH and AP Psych study flash cards to go over while we drive between schools.

Second round of ACT scores came yesterday. It was one point lower than he wants so he's taking it again in June. He got a lower score in Science than he did the first time around because his bladder didn't cooperate and he lost some time having to head to the men's room. He randomly bubbled the last 6 questions as a result. He believes he can do better and wants to retake it.

He is currently #2 in his class and expects he might maintain that because he has decided to take 3 more AP classes next year. He hasn't had the limitations that band presented Hypo so he has had a little more rigor in his course schedule but had room for some fun classes (to him... we're talking classes like World Wars).

So, the adventure begins! His sister is trying to talk him into places like Wash U - St. Louis. He might apply to Columbia just because. He thinks he'd prefer state flagship schools but at the same time, thinks the University of Michigan might be overwhelming.

Where Hypo was all about creativity- band, creative writing- poetry especially- and social activism, Halostar is all about government/politics and sciences. At one point he was obsessed with meteorology but that has died down. At one time, he was thinking video game design, but that has fallen aside also. He has been "making science" since he was about 2 1/2, conducting his own experiments at times. He is LOVING psychology right now and is fascinated with neuroscience so he is thinking neuro psych for a long term goal. He knows this will mean many, many years of school and a PhD. For those reasons, Mom is encouraging good schools, but those that will not lead to a ton of student loans.

Halostar should be an Eagle Scout by next fall- just has to do his project and board of review. He is Vice President of Business Professional's of America and just qualified for their National competition in Disney World in May. He is on student council and is running for Vice President of the Exec Board for next academic year. He plays tennis and will be on the Varsity team in the fall. Last year he did track and was a shot put thrower. I don't think he's doing track this year- he has an Eagle project to do. He's active with NHS. He does all the school spirit things and has huge school spirit- Powderpuff game cheerleader, Lipsynch contest between classes, homecoming float activities and powerbuff (boys play volleyball). He is known for his creative expression during spirit weeks.

Halostar was a kid who once sat in his room and played video games ALL the times with little motivation for anything else. He came into his own at the end of 9th grade and has blossomed into one of the most popular kids in his class too. Most think he will be on Homecoming Court next year. He has a great sense of humor and truly doesn't care what others think of him so he is unafraid to dress up as Rapunzel on Disney character day during Spirit Week, etc.

He is very entertaining and has been low maintenance and very funny. I have often said he was my gift of fun. He's also VERY into social issues and politics and thinks it is fun to watch CSPAN.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 AM

How fun! Halostar and my kiddo will be doing their college searching at the same time. Too bad they aren't considering the same schools, except for UM which won't be happening here (out of state = NO aid!)
Old 03-30-2013, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Is it bad that I'll only be rooting for schools with Delta Chi chapters?

With his interests in government/politics and psychology/neuroscience I think he should definitely look at George Mason (my alma mater, I guess I'm all about bias today...).

DC seems like a great fit for his interests, and students at Mason are very involved in social justice and political action. Basketball is huge at Mason, and there are a lot of opportunities for school spirit involvement. It's an area the university actively encourages and the recent move to the Atlantic 10 is only going to mean more growth in that area. There's also an undergraduate major in game design, if he decides he wants to get into that again.

My sister is a psych major at Mason right now, so I'd be happy to pick her brain if he wants to know more about that. I'm also an Alumni Ambassador for the Office of Admissions so I'd be happy to chat at length if he decides to look at Mason.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I know which 2 schools I'm rooting for from that list.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

The great thing about doing this like this is you have them stuck in a car with you for hours and hours so you have a chance to really talk about stuff that's going on! We had a good time on our very long drive. He really loved both of the very small private liberal arts colleges. He thought most of the state schools were totally overwhelming and too busy. He liked GVSU's campus because it is in the middle of nowhere, but he felt like it was still really big.

So, the schools he liked most were less than 5000 students. Kzoo College is only 1200-1300! That's going to make this interesting.

So, small quiet campuses, with some open green space, that provide some academic challenge (on the more selective side). Open to ideas... doesn't have to be in Michigan! He would prefer it wasn't. He's thinking midwest or northeast.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

If he'd like a smaller campus, Butler in Indianapolis is nice. If he likes larger schools, there's always Indiana. Fraternity rush is NOTHING like sorority recruitment. :-)
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

There are so many nice LACs and small CTCLs in the midwest: Wabash, Westminster, Grinnell, Hanover, Cornell College, Knox, Hendrix just to name a few.

I think the key is to make sure the student is relatively near mass transportation. back in the day, I went to school 12 hours away from home but it was a direct flight home to Boston. The airport was about 45 minutes from campus as it was in the suburbs and CMU is in the city. Kid1 went to college only 4 hours away but it was a bit more difficult as she was not near an airport or train route. Kid2 is 15 hours away but only an hour from the airport that provides direct flights to all 3 airports of the DC area.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Hey, I'm going to make a shameless plug for my Alma, Otterbein. SLAC in central Ohio. Not in the middle of nowhere, but not smack in the city. 3,000 ish students, residential, safe, welcoming, personal, nice mix of liberal and conservative students, lots of activities, Greek Life that's really affordable...State capitol, and I know at least one of our alum is a state rep, many more are staffers for politicians.

I had a really similar experience- my Mom and I drove all the way to Ball State from Pittsburgh...and hated it. HATED it. It was super underwhelming. On the same trip we stopped at Otterbein, and it immediately felt like putting on a pair of slippers. Home.

<--- Still loves the quiet peaceful village!
Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm obviously going to plug IU, but I would second Butler if he's looking for a LAC...plus nobody can resist Blue II/Trip as mascots! I might also toss in DePauw, especially if he's interested in Greek life.

Has he looked into Carleton, Beloit, or Macalester? Midwest SLACs tend to give REALLY good financial aid.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

My recommendation would be liberal arts colleges with strong alumni networks. Middlebury, Amherst, Wesleyan (CT), all come to mind. My undergrad has a great neuroscience program, but I feel bad about shameless plugs with a 9% admit rate. :-/
Old 03-31-2013, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely not Mason if he wants a smaller college. It seems like it could be good fit academically, but it is definitely not a small school!

I'd be out of my depth to recommend a smaller school - for grad and undergrad I'm a large university guy through and through!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
My recommendation would be liberal arts colleges with strong alumni networks. Middlebury, Amherst, Wesleyan (CT), all come to mind. My undergrad has a great neuroscience program, but I feel bad about shameless plugs with a 9% admit rate. :-/
I know your undergrad does I think he would love that campus too. I know I thought it was very relaxing and it was move in weekend when I was there.

For a reach, I'm going to have him look into Johns Hopkins too. He's really leaning more toward neurosciences/psychology for a major. It's not as big as the schools he said he thought were overwhelming, but it's not quite as small as Kzoo and Albion.

Otterbein is a definite thought as is Oberlin.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Shameless plug here, I attend Thiel College in Greenville, Pennsylvania. It's a tiny liberal arts college, about 1,500 students total. I am in very small classes. My largest class is Western Humanities, a requirement for freshman and for graduation, and it's a large lecture hall MWF, but TTh we meet in groups of about 20-30 for discussion with the professor. I know mostly everyone in my class, and the campus is very safe. There aren't really unfamiliar faces, though I might not know names I have at least seen almost everyone by now.

The campus is pretty quiet, but there is always something to do. Our campus activities board plans great activities, like grocery bingo where you play bingo for a chance to win a bin full of groceries (free!) , wings and sings where they provide karaoke and free wings, and free trips up to NYC. They also have a shuttle that can take you into nearby Greenville, where we have a wal mart, fast food, and the best chinese buffet.

And of course, we have active greek life on campus. There are three national fraternities (Delta Sigma Phi, Sigma Phi Epsilon, and Kappa Sigma) as well as a local. Greeks know greeks on our campus, and greek life at Thiel boasts of a higher than average GPA and great retention rate.

We also have the Dietrich honors institute, which sounds like it would interest your son. A few of my sisters are in it, they love it. They're also holding 4.0's, though not without a lot of work.

And, best of all, they offer a shuttle to the air port for breaks, so you wouldn't have to worry about coming to Greenville to get him, he could fly home.

thiel.edu

Oh, forgot! I am a psychology major at Thiel. You leave with a introduction to everything, with the intent to head to grad school. We also have a neuropsych program. I love it, I think the program is very strong and I am recieving a great liberal arts education.

Last edited by kateee; 03-31-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added major
Old 03-31-2013, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a proud UM grad, but if the small schools spoke to him, that's telling him a lot already. A big place like UM is not for everyone. While you can make a big school feel smaller but can't make a smaller school feel big, lots of folks just don't want to have to deal with that, and that is more than their prerogative. It's great that he's already listening to his heart.

I have several friends who went to Haverford College outside Philadelphia, which is an amazing small liberal arts college and may be worth a look for him.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I did a quick check of best schools for science and the only schools listed were either big or huge. I think for him what I'd look at is a solid all-around school where he's happy and can do well and think progressively larger schools for graduate and PhD work. I personally like the idea of changing schools as you progress to get a larger world view on your subject.

I think a major in one of the sciences with a minor in a liberal arts program would be a great mix. To become like my boyfriend Neil DeGrasse Tyson, you need both the hard geek ability AND the ability with the social sciences. And the outlook for the medical sciences is very good right now. If not for a career, what's it all worth?