GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,182
1 members and 1,181 guests
g41965

Old 01-01-2019, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Recruitment blog idea!

I’ve thought long and hard about this and I’d just like some feedback! It would be a hobby for me and I plan on doing this for pleasure in my leisure time if I do this as I just want to try something new and put my new skills to use doing some good

I love sorority recruitment with all of my heart, it‘s my favorite time during the year, I love watching recruitment videos, I was recruitment chair and now I’m slated to join the Panhellenic exec board as VP of Recruitment for 2019-2020. Recruitment was my favorite memory of freshman year and I’ve met my forever sisters through DG.

I want to make a blog about sorority recruitment for PNMs and future PNMs but I want to make it all inclusive. I didn’t need recruitment to be all inclusive, I’m white, thin, and blonde, there were thousands of makeup tutorials, rush videos, and blog posts that fit my demographic but none that really fit everyone’s demographic.

My younger sister is going through winter recruitment and she has a stoma. She can’t wear tight fitting clothes because then the bag shows and she has to have the ability to empty the bag of waste. We couldn’t find a single blog or video about sorority recruitment if you have a stoma or any type of medical device on your body.

My cousin has cystic fibrosis and can’t wear restrictive clothing and. she needed to have her oxygen. She also went through rush. How do you make your oxygen tank look fashionable and chic so it matches your outfit and you confident in yourself?

So here’s what I want to do. I’d find and list outfits for different body types (underweight, tall, plus size, “regular”, etc), examples of makeup for different skin tones (White, Asian, Black, Middle Eastern, Latin/Hispanic, Native, etc.), shoes (size 5 to size 15), outfits for different types of disabilities and outfits able to accommodate medical devices, and modest outfits for different types of religions.

I’m a fiend for jewelry and so I’d make a section for jewelry with cheaper options and then options made with hypoallergenic materials. I also love purses and so I’d make a section for cute accessories that can be used time and time again. And I’d find cute clear bags in case that’s what universities are requiring again.

I’d want to make compare and save posts. I’d find high end products and find cute and much cheaper options. I’d also list stores that have cute clothes and good prices, appropriate things to wear for rush, trendy options to fit the times, cute items that can be used from closets, and clothes that can be made, I’d also list choices of clothes to wear for every round.

I would list makeup products and sanitary/hygienic products that are tried and true. I use a lot of makeup and hair products and my freshman year roommate had chemo and I’d always style her wigs, so I’d list hair free and short hair options, options for natural hair, long hair options, religious garment options, sensitive skin products, products to cover large birthmarks, products for acne prone skin, products to cover scars, generally good makeup products, etc.

I would also find tutorials for different skin tones, different styles of makeup, applying makeup with various disabilities, applying makeup to cover blemishes and scars, makeup dos and don’ts, and examples of makeup that’s versatile and looks good on everyone.

I’d add in a section for transgender PNMs and list the sororities that currently have statements of acceptance written into their bylaws and how to style hair, makeup, and stylish outfits that will fit properly if you’re transgender.

I’d make lists of the things that PNMs can do to prepare for rush, a comprehensive list of all 26 NPC sororities and details, a list of how to secure recommendation letters and what should be in a recommendation request packet, basic details about grades and how to maintain a high GPA in university.

I’d talk about continuous open bidding, deferred recruitment, sorority’s values, being dropped from a sorority, being released from recruitment, big and little, financial planning, all of the different chapters for every sorority, new chapter openings and closings, just those sort of basic everyday things.

I’m still brainstorming ideas and making lists, it’s the new year and I want to begin making recruitment accessible and easy to get through for everyone. It may be dumb but I’ll have a plethora of time on my hands and I want to actually fulfill my New Years Resolutions this year.

Anyway! Thank you for listening to my first idea of 2019!
Old 01-01-2019, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Why would you need a separate blog or video about recruitment for people who need a stoma? If she needs advice on concealing it, she has probably already seen it in material relating to her condition. I can't figure out why she would be wearing tight clothing in a winter rush anyway.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Why would you need a separate blog or video about recruitment for people who need a stoma? If she needs advice on concealing it, she has probably already seen it in material relating to her condition. I can't figure out why she would be wearing tight clothing in a winter rush anyway.
It would be a blog post. I’m just taking the experience of my sister because I’ve been shopping with her and there’s nothing in the “material” that really gives you any advice. She can’t wear baggy sweaters and sweatpants everyday and wearing clothes that fit or have a tighter than usual fit so they aren’t falling off is important.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, it doesn't (shouldn't?) cost anything to start up a blog, right? So, if you think you see a need, go ahead and give your blog a try!

I agree with carnation that focusing on very rare circumstances, such as having a stoma, would net a very low readership. The chances of having a reader who falls into this category is extremely slim. However, the concept of including a PNM audience generally grouped as "women with additional considerations" (medical device, wheelchair, crutches, severe acne, etc) could make them feel included and be a viable topic for a blog post.

The other ideas for including different body types, ethnicities and locations (ie. winter wear for a northeast spring recruitment) could be helpful too. I've been out of the game for a very long time, but a lot of the blogs I've run across seem to be of the blond, Lilly-wearing, Southern girl type.

Again, the blog could be worth a try - your readers are the ones who will ultimately decide if it's a winner or not!

True and Constant
Old 01-02-2019, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree why not go for it. I think its commendable to try and look at things from the viewpoint of those who might not fit the "typical sorority profile" each campus is different as well as far as culture and competitiveness as many who have posted their recruitment stories here can attest to.

But even still having a place where you are addressing these issues that might not be super common and having a space for readers to get some ideas on how to put their best foot forward might be a welcome addition.

One other thought to consider is if you know other members of GLOs who have found their home and might have medical considerations, or from a different racial/ethnic background perhaps see if they might be open to share their ideas on your blog (i.e. as a guest blogger). Since sometimes advice might come easier from someone who has been there and managed to get through and be successful.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
One other thought to consider is if you know other members of GLOs who have found their home and might have medical considerations, or from a different racial/ethnic background perhaps see if they might be open to share their ideas on your blog (i.e. as a guest blogger). Since sometimes advice might come easier from someone who has been there and managed to get through and be successful.

Good point. I don't know the OP's race or ethnicity; but, I was thinking earlier that it might be a little problematic to have someone from one ethnicity giving hair and make-up pointers to people from another.

True and Constant
Old 01-02-2019, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Good point. I don't know the OP's race or ethnicity; but, I was thinking earlier that it might be a little problematic to have someone from one ethnicity giving hair and make-up pointers to people from another.
OP's statement:\ "I’m white, thin, and blonde, there were thousands of makeup tutorials, rush videos, and blog posts that fit my demographic but none that really fit everyone’s demographic. "
Old 01-02-2019, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I think this is a great idea! Though you have mentioned some pretty specific needs, I think a blog like this would send an overall message that you don't have to be the stereotypical "sorority girl" to take on recruitment! I love the idea of guest bloggers who can really represent the challenges and how to deal with them.

Go for it, AnchorsDGAway!
Old 01-02-2019, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
OP's statement:\ "I’m white, thin, and blonde, there were thousands of makeup tutorials, rush videos, and blog posts that fit my demographic but none that really fit everyone’s demographic. "

Oops! I missed that. So, even more reason to not tell a woman from another race or ethnicity how she should do her make-up. andthen's idea to have a "guest" on the blog post is one way to address that.

True and Constant
Old 01-02-2019, 10:49 PM

Unless you are a professional stylist or makeup artist that has had years of experience with all sorts of people, you are treading on a lot of things that are not your province. Guest posts would be essential to address a lot of the things you mentioned.

I would also caution against listing the sororities that accept transgender members. It could be misinterpreted to mean that they will always receive a bid and as we all know that’s not the case.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:30 AM
GreekChat Member

This is...odd. Am I alone here, in thinking this post is odd?
Old 01-06-2019, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
I'm not thinking it's odd, only idealistic.

OP, I'm thinking you may have bit off more than you can chew. I love the theme, but find it hard to envision any one person speaking with authority on any of those topics, especially in relation to all the chapters a young woman may be meeting. Perhaps you have both the expertise and the communicative ability; I just don't know.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
I'm not thinking it's odd, only idealistic.

OP, I'm thinking you may have bit off more than you can chew.
This.

I think you might need more of a narrowed focus. Your want to be inclusive (of all races, body types, physical abilities, etc.) is great, but I think you're going to struggle if you try to touch on everyone under the sun.

And as others have mentioned: I don't think a black woman is going to take hair and makeup advice from a white woman with blonde hair, for example, unless you've had some kind of formal training. There are so many hair and makeup tutorials online that I doubt many are going to seek out your blog for advice.

Don't try and find a solution for everyone and every individual situation. Think about what you truly know, find a "sub-theme", then run with it.

Good luck!

@~/~~~~
Old 01-09-2019, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I do think a sub theme is a good idea, but it's a bit of a landmine.

Say you want to do something about rushing when you have extenuating circumstances - like a prosthetic, a hearing aid, a health issue ... something that women rushing may want advice on how to present or bring up during rush. That could be helpful to people, especially if you highlight different issues or conditions.

The problem with this is that none of it is personal experience. You don't have these issues, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense for you, personally, to blog about it. So that aspect of your blog would need to be handed over to guest posters that you would need to find - and it would only make sense that they are sorority members already. You'd have to ensure that photos would feature people that actually have these issues. Sourcing for first-hand experience would be a majority of the blogging job, which may not be what you want to do. Nothing says you can't write some traditional sorority blog advice that applies to all women considering rush as well, but for sub theme stuff, I think it needs to be personal experience oriented.