GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,711
1 members and 1,710 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 03-13-2019, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy’s daughter, Sophia Grace, is a senior at a private high school in LA. Since acceptance letters/emails have gone out, anyone know where she was accepted?

Can (or should) Lori Loughlin’s daughters be expelled from USC since they didn’t get in on merits?

How is this different from Jared Kushner’s dad giving $2.5M to Harvard before Jared was accepted? Or Prez Trump’s dad giving money and using a family connection to get into Wharton?
I think it will be difficult to expel a lot of the students with the exception of Bob Zangrillo's daughter at USC (Bob is a Miami Real Estate developer). She was the one on the phone with her father trying to get someone to retake her Art History class for her online since she got an F in the class and needed to increase her GPA to get into USC. Reading the indictment phone transcript on this one turned my stomach.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I think it will be difficult to expel a lot of the students with the exception of Bob Zangrillo's daughter at USC (Bob is a Miami Real Estate developer). She was the one on the phone with her father trying to get someone to retake her Art History class for her online since she got an F in the class and needed to increase her GPA to get into USC. Reading the indictment phone transcript on this one turned my stomach.
Some of these kids seem to have been unaware but others certainly knew what was going on. The one student submitted a handwriting sample so that could be copied. Others posed for photos participating in "their" sport, etc. Not all of them were innocent victims. If the universities have honor codes they should be applied here.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

wow this is an interesting read. Our daughter was admitted to USC med school with no intervention on our part. She is a Chi Omega and went to very large state university.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
Some of these kids seem to have been unaware but others certainly knew what was going on. The one student submitted a handwriting sample so that could be copied. Others posed for photos participating in "their" sport, etc. Not all of them were innocent victims. If the universities have honor codes they should be applied here.
Yes, some were innocent and some were culpable.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Here are statements from UCLA and USC. Link at the bottom for the full article.

"BOSTON — Two of the colleges caught up in a sweeping admissions fraud investigation said on Wednesday that they were considering disciplining students who were connected to the scheme. And the fallout from the case was just beginning.

“If U.C.L.A. discovers that any prospective, admitted or enrolled student has misrepresented any aspect of his/her application, or that information about the applicant has been withheld, U.C.L.A. may take a number of disciplinary actions, up to and including cancellation of admission,” the university said in a statement.

"The University of Southern California, where three coaches and the senior associate athletic director were charged with taking bribes, said that it would reject any current applicants who are connected to the bribery scheme.

Wanda Austin, the school’s interim president, also said that current students whose parents have been charged with paying the bribes would also be investigated. It is unclear how many current or prospective U.S.C. students are implicated."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/13/u...DGYGAPaBEc75Tg
Old 03-13-2019, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
@Benzgirl, I think you typed too fast. Lori Loughlin & Mossimo Giannulli's daughters are Olivia Jade and Isabella Rose. Both daughters are USC Kappas.

Charlotte Todd, daughter of Todd & Diane Blake, is a USC Alpha Phi.

IF other affiliations are revealed, please update.
From what I can see (lurking), Amber Zangrillo is not affiliated however her older sister was a Kappa at USC but appears to have graduated. Amber may not have had the grades, considering she needed help to pass classes at a Junior College.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:

How is this different from Jared Kushner’s dad giving $2.5M to Harvard before Jared was accepted? Or Prez Trump’s dad giving money and using a family connection to get into Wharton?
Quote:
“If U.C.L.A. discovers that any prospective, admitted or enrolled student has misrepresented any aspect of his/her application, or that information about the applicant has been withheld, U.C.L.A. may take a number of disciplinary actions, up to and including cancellation of admission,” the university said in a statement.
Jared and DT didn’t falsify their qualifications or grades. The school chose to relax their normal admission standards.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Devil's advocate here ...

Really, what's the difference between an unqualified rich kid whose parents pay a coach, and an unqualified athlete whose sports alumnae pay the school?

When I first saw the stories, I heard only Harvard and Yale. Private institutions, who are free to do with their reputations whatever they like. After all, it's not like Boston University, whose graduates call their reputation into question. Then I saw the number of public, taxpayer-funded schools involved, and my perception changed.

But still - athletes do it; why not rich kids?
From what I've read, the main problem is the tax evasion. They disguised the payment as a charity contribution which allowed tax break. Uncle Sam don't like it when he doesn't get his.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post

Well, it’s NOT the Admissions dept at UCLA. I’ve known the Dean of Admissions at UCLA for over 15 years and couldn’t even help my goddaughter get in, even though she had a 4.5 GPA and an impeccable resume (graduated HS a year early, graduating college a year early and heading to med school).

UCLA has a 10% acceptance rate. That may be lower than the Ivies.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

This is per TMZ, apparently Sephora had partnered with Lori Laughlin's daughter Oliva Jade on a makeup line, as of a few moments ago Sephora has dropped Oliva Jade.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Apparently, one child is a Gamma Phi at UCLA too.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Lori Loughlin’s daughters both withdraw from USC
https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/14/lori-...llege-bribery/
Her younger daughter is 19. Is she a freshman and just joined Kappa (as Recruitment is now in January) and, if so, will she get initiated?

While my curiosity wants to know if any of the students are Greek, I’m not in favor of their names being public, especially if they didn’t know their parents were doing this.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Isabelle (Izzy) Henriquez is a Kappa at Georgetown.
Friends say she "gloated" about cheating on the SATs according to several articles that came out today.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Lori Loughlin’s daughters both withdraw from USC
https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/14/lori-...llege-bribery/
Her younger daughter is 19. Is she a freshman and just joined Kappa (as Recruitment is now in January) and, if so, will she get initiated?

While my curiosity wants to know if any of the students are Greek, I’m not in favor of their names being public, especially if they didn’t know their parents were doing this.
Depends on when she became a new member and how long Kappa's NM period is.

I realize many students didn't know. This one did. Many articles are coming out where friends say that a particular student knew.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

USC is in Spring Break this week, so even if she pledged in January, I believe she would have been initiated by now. USC is a semester university.

Kappas - how long is your NM period?