GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 955
1 members and 954 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-10-2003, 11:16 AM

$53 Billion Dollar Problem

I'm sure there will be something more concrete to copy soon, but I heard on NPR this morning that there is a new report out on young people and alcohol.

Given traffic accidents, illness, academic failure, suicide and crime, they estimate that this problem costs Americans $53 Billion (yes, with a "B") dollars a year.

Don't quote me on the stats -- I was in traffic when I heard the story, but something like 20% of eighth graders reported drinking, and 12% of that number say they drink "heavily."

For high school seniors, the overall number was about half, I think.

As an aside, I might question those numbers, because it's kind of an "in" thing -- especially for the eighth graders to say they drink. On the other hand, I was drinking in high school many years ago. Still, I think those numbers might be questionable.

The important message for the Greek System is a two headed monster. First, we're inheriting a large problem. Second, we're perpetuating it in some ways.

Given the findings of this survey, though, it's clear that underage drinking is much more than a fraternity and sorority challenge. But the "everybody does it" attitude will not help the problem -- which directly contributes to our Risk Management and liability troubles.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-10-2003, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I heard a story about underage drinking on the news last night. The solution: raise the taxes on alcohol so younger people can't afford it. So I guess that a $10 cocktail isn't expensive enough.

My friend's daughter is in highschool in NY. Due to the problems of teenager drinking and drug use, the parents are stongly encouraged to sign a paper stating that they will not permit this type of behavior in their homes. If they see a student engaging in this behavior, they will contact the parents. Parents are not required to sign this paper. If they do, they are listed as a safe home in the parent directory. I am not sure how effective this will be, but I think that it is a good start. At least parents will know in which homes their children will receive responsible parental guidence.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:58 PM

They talked about a potential tax on the broadcast I heard. The expert who was interviewed is of the opinion that the tax can help to pay for campaigns to combat the problem (Just Say No, DARE, etc.), but that it will not do much to stop underage drinking.

His take is that parents are the absolute key.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
DeltAlum- so very good points on the risk management problems.

I wanted to comment about the tax increase, though. The tax isn't going to help curb sales. Teenagers have the largest discretionary income of any demographic... meaning that out of what they make, most of it goes to fun- be it movies, video games, alcohol, etc. since they rarely have responsibilities like rent/mortgage, car payments, utility bills, etc.

I don't know how successful those programs are. I recently read that in Ohio, where there have been MAJOR anti-smoking campaigns targeting teenagers- we were one of the few states where teenage smoking was on the rise. (Unfortunately, I can't recall where I read that, though).

I think that the real solution would be to lower the drinking age and teach responsibility so alcohol isn't such a 'special' thing.. but that's in my world, i know.

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be
Old 09-10-2003, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Totaly F**King amazing!

This is an old argument,

You can Vote (which most teens dont) and you can be in the Military (Iraq-Afganistan) and get killed!

Give me a break! Dah!

Tell Young People NO YOU CANNOT DO THAT! Guess what, they will, in an excess!

Ah the joys of being an adult to try to tell kids what not to do when you did at their ages!

Damn, kids just dont listen do they?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-10-2003, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: $53 Billion Dollar Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum

Given traffic accidents, illness, academic failure, suicide and crime, they estimate that this problem costs Americans $53 Billion (yes, with a "B") dollars a year.
I'm not sure that academic failure, suicide and crime can be directly tied to alcohol use. Sure, alcohol definitely affects those -- but there's no saying that a student wouldn't have committed suicide even if he wasn't having alcohol abuse issues, you know?
Old 09-11-2003, 01:08 AM

S&S,

Only repeating what the guy who was part of the group who did the survey said on the broadcast.

I would certainly hope, though, that if they quote suicide as an outcome, that they would segregate suicides that they can quantify as being alcohol related -- not all suicides.

Seems to me that the others are fairly easily quantifiable -- and those have been proven.

By the way, I'm certainly not a test group of one, but I can tell you that my first quarter grades certainly suffered from too much drinking and partying.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

KC Star, and all local news media:

45 year old woman living in the Piper Area of KC Ks. a I am better than your are attitude, buys kids alchol, drives around with them and helps spray paint road signs.

Her 15 year old daughter and some friends were on the way to another party, (3rd) that night and were invloved in an accident.

Wow, Parenting at its worst!

Hey Mom, lets go get a 12 pack and spray some signs!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-11-2003, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

the attitude toward smoking

In my lifetime, one of the biggest changes is the attitude toward smoking.

Over the years, chiefly thru relentless commercials, higher taxes/prices, and education, smoking has been changed from cool to crummy.

Now, when I see a smoker, I think "how stupid they are"

Just as education, commercials, and higher prices have changed the attitudes towards smoking, similar actions will change the attitude towards booze.

Teen drinkers in many cases aren't price sensitive - they simply steal it from mommy and daddy.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverTurtle

I think that the real solution would be to lower the drinking age and teach responsibility so alcohol isn't such a 'special' thing.. but that's in my world, i know.
I agree with you. Just like prohibition didn't work, I believe that making alcohol a "forbidden fruit" increases its allure and leads to irresponsible use. My daughter, who isn't a drinker, went to France during her Senior year of high school. There are no drinking ages there and she went to clubs with her hosts and her classmates. The French kids nursed their one drink all night--many of the Americans from her school had several drinks and became loud and obnoxious. My daughter thought it was very embarassing and thought that the French had a much healthier attitude about alcohol.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
You can Vote (which most teens dont) and you can be in the Military (Iraq-Afganistan) and get killed!
Sorry, Tom, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on one point: if you're in the military, you can drink even if you're not yet twenty-one.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaKittyCat
Sorry, Tom, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on one point: if you're in the military, you can drink even if you're not yet twenty-one.
Actually, you may both be right.

They will probably serve you on post, but outside I think military are subject to the same laws as everyone else.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Correct DeltaAlum, off post, you are under the guidelines of the Federal drinking law as of 21 years of age!

Two edged situation. An adult on post. Kid in the real world.

Can still get shot in battle, bullets dont care how old you are

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-02-2003, 05:53 PM

Re: $53 Billion Dollar Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
I'm sure there will be something more concrete to copy soon, but I heard on NPR this morning that there is a new report out on young people and alcohol.

Do you have the more concrete copy?

53 billions sounds like a lot but it doens't mean anything without a test group or other groups to make a comparison. Maybe old people cost us 100 billion a year. I would bet old people cost us a hell of a lot more than young people.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:25 PM

Max,

No, I never saw anything more about it.

However, this isn't a contest between the young and old. Even if old folks cost a trillion dollars, $53 Billion is a significant problem. Both are.