GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,916
0 members and 1,916 guests
No Members online
View Poll Results: Chances of rerushing
no chance 16 51.61%
small chance 3 9.68%
only you can shape your life 12 38.71%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2010, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

It's been said before, but I think it bares repeating. Lets say you are really close with some of the brothers. Even so, a good friend does not necessarily a good Brother make. I have great friends who I love spending time with, that would not be a good fit for Psi U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmIII View Post
I really don't care if I failed to get into it. This doesn't mean I did anything wrong. It doesn't make you better than me. Whatever organization you are in doesn't make you superior to anyone. There is always a fraternity better than yours Vito or with guys who have more money. If you were the great great grandson of a founder that doesn't make you anymore special than anyone else.
I never once said I was better then you. I love Psi U and am proud of it, but do not think it makes me better then anybody else. And just to let you know, I actually was a three time rush before I got my bid. So I know I'm not special.

Last edited by Psi U MC Vito; 05-09-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:37 AM

Relax. I don't recall anyone saying they were better than you here. You're the only one saying that.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
You don't have to beat anything in my head. I should move on but really maybe for once in life it isn't that it was me who failed or it is my fault. I guess none of you have ever been screwed over and you get everything you want in life exactly how you wanted it. There is about 15 guys each grade level. It wasn't that I was so desperate to be their friends. I happen to live with 3 actives who have been members since 07 & 08. No, I can't explain why I am not in it when you would think I would be since I am close to the guys. That is why it was a big fucking deal to me! I didn't screw up and many did that were initiated but you know whatever lesson in life this was it SUCKS!
Lets accept that you didn't do anything wrong and that it sucks and all that. What is important now is what you are going to do about it. Either you let it eat at you and continue to make yourself miserable or you move on and leave it behind. Unless you have a better idea I vote for move on and leave it behind.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a newly initiated member of a fraternity and would love to give my input on the situation. We had a similar issue at our house, a certain pledge was a great person and knew tons of people within but certain people in the fraternity had issues with him hoping he would change/adapt to fit better but by the 7th week and nothing has change he was dropped. so this may not be in your control and like everyone says you should move on and allow time to play its role.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rly View Post
I'm a newly initiated member of a fraternity and would love to give my input on the situation. We had a similar issue at our house, a certain pledge was a great person and knew tons of people within but certain people in the fraternity had issues with him hoping he would change/adapt to fit better but by the 7th week and nothing has change he was dropped. so this may not be in your control and like everyone says you should move on and allow time to play its role.
This sounds like women who hope men will change after they get married. We all know how well that goes. HAHAHAHAHA

What was it that he didn't "adapt" to? Was he just sort of a hanger on, or didn't show up for things, or what?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This sounds like women who hope men will change after they get married. We all know how well that goes. HAHAHAHAHA
My chapter has a rule regarding this - "No projects." If they're not good enough when you're bid-voting they're not going to change in 8 weeks.

gmIII, you're right, this does suck. But its going to keep sucking if you wallow in it. Get up, find another fraternity for you, and live your life. The situation is all what you make of it, and right now you're making it suck.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess based on how most of you talk then by dad is a loser for not being Greek even though he is a vp at a health care company? I guess my mom failed at life for quitting DG even though she was panhellenic council representative and vp of recruitment? Being in a fraternity doesn't make you well liked or make a lot of money as a job. It is to make new friends and do some good in life and all of you have ruined that feeling. I am sure you aren't bad people but your attitudes on here is jusst about how special you are because you became something and how anyone who isn't like you is a failure.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
I guess based on how most of you talk then by dad is a loser for not being Greek even though he is a vp at a health care company? I guess my mom failed at life for quitting DG even though she was panhellenic council representative and vp of recruitment? Being in a fraternity doesn't make you well liked or make a lot of money as a job. It is to make new friends and do some good in life and all of you have ruined that feeling. I am sure you aren't bad people but your attitudes on here is jusst about how special you are because you became something and how anyone who isn't like you is a failure.
Yes, your parents are losers which is why you are pathetic and so paranoid over others' opinions of you.

FYI, some of us were always better than you and Greekdom just added to it.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
WTF? When did we say any of this? If you project these same feelings that everybody in Greekdom is arrogant and thinks they are better then everybody else, that might explain why you were dropped.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Seriously, gmIII. Stop being so defensive and reading so much crap into what everyone is posting. You came here for advice, and you are getting some great advice. No one is saying they are better than you or that you have to be Greek to be a "winner" at life. We have all assumed that you "want" to be Greek and have advised you to look elsewhere for that experience because Phi Kappa Tau is not going to work out for you. Don't get pissed off because we didn't tell you what you wanted to hear...you invited it when you said, "Fire away guys!"

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-09-2010, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
My chapter has a rule regarding this - "No projects."

Old 05-09-2010, 04:28 PM

^^^I'm done with you today.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post

Old 05-09-2010, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think you will find out who I am unless you happen to go to my school but then you still wouldn't know who I was since several people were cut. Nobody is bad mouthing anyone when this is coming from several guys who are members. I have known these guys forever and so sorry if I have a bad taste in my mouth when my best friends threw me under the bus. I don't need sympathy when I didn't do anything to be cut. The point from several of them is why does it even matter, I can still live in the apartment with them and be their friend. I didn't join to be close to a group of guys when I already am, I joined to be part of the PKE.

*If they didn't want me as a brother they would have gotten rid of me a few days in not 3 weeks before initiation after 6 weeks of pledging.
* My big never goes to meetings so the theory suggested was to punish him by not letting him have a family left when he graduates in 12 days now. This still isn't fair to me!
In all likelihood, you will never know why you were dropped. Your experience is unfortunate, but not all that unusual. Fraternity pledges can and do get dropped at any point of the pledging process.

I tend to accept people at face value, so I wouldn't hold it against your friends. If I were in your position, I would choose to believe (barring other evidence) that my friends fought vigorously for me among their brothers, but were, for some reason, overruled.

If you want to rush another chapter, or chapters, I would go ahead and try it. Ask for your friends' opinions about whether this is likely to be successful on your particular campus. I might even ask them for recommendations about what chapter might be a good fit, and why, along with anything that you can do to add some polish to your overall presentation. Asking these types of questions might give you some interesting insights.

Keep in mind that fraternity men often have very good friends, even best friends, in other chapters.

Also keep in mind that you can have a wonderful college experience whether or not you are in a social fraternity. My opinion is, if your dream chapter turns you down, then become the BMOC that they WISH they could call their own.

ETA: Every life has its share of disappointments. If this is your first major disappointment, then you've had a pretty good start. Please trust me when I say that even the guys around you who seem to be living charmed lives will get their fair share (divorce, job loss, business reversals, health issues, or what have you.) People gain respect from others when they handle disappointments with grace and dignity. Hold your head up, believe in yourself, and move on.

Last edited by Blue Skies; 05-09-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I love this little boy!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!