GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,154
1 members and 1,153 guests
3DGator

Old 06-10-2013, 06:29 PM

WTF is dynamic recruitment? That sounds like some sort of horrible corporatespeak.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
WTF is dynamic recruitment? That sounds like some sort of horrible corporatespeak.
Yeah. Like when I had one job but 5 bosses that didn't report to one another or even to the same C-Suite.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Phired Up refers to their style of recruitment as "dynamic." It basically promotes what you've said here regarding the fostering of more "normal" conversations and relationships.

Quote:
The more NORMAL contact PNMs have with sorority members, the more open minded they will be, as they will get to know them as normal human people. The more rules and garbage are put in the way, and the harder it is to make a simple person to person connection, the more closed-minded the PNMs will be.
I would guess it's not some weird kind of recruitment style that groovypg's campus Panhellenic created.

But I could be wrong...

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 06-10-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Truthfully, I have yet to figure it all out. Last fall for informal recruitment, it meant my chapter and one other, who only had 2-4 openings, recruited by meeting PNMs for lunch, coffee, etc. (hanging out with sisters) and then extending bids to fill the spots. The other two chapters, who had graduated large senior classes and had more spots, held open houses. There was still a bid day.

I didn't like this method because, even though it was only open to sophomores and above, I felt like it put my chapter at a disadvantage because, even if freshmen couldn't attend open houses, they'd at least be seeing the fliers/posters/Facebook invites and it would put a chapter's name in their heads. With my chapter not doing open houses, their name wasn't getting out there as much. Now, they had the rest of the semester to get to know freshman PNMs but still... first impressions.

Also, my chapter lost out on some great PNMs because they wanted the "experience" of going to open houses.

To me, it was too much of a free-for-all. I've been told by my chapter members who are Panhel exec members that it will be more coordinated this year. We'll see.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovypq View Post
Truthfully, I have yet to figure it all out. Last fall for informal recruitment, it meant my chapter and one other, who only had 2-4 openings, recruited by meeting PNMs for lunch, coffee, etc. (hanging out with sisters) and then extending bids to fill the spots. The other two chapters, who had graduated large senior classes and had more spots, held open houses. There was still a bid day.

I didn't like this method because, even though it was only open to sophomores and above, I felt like it put my chapter at a disadvantage because, even if freshmen couldn't attend open houses, they'd at least be seeing the fliers/posters/Facebook invites and it would put a chapter's name in their heads. With my chapter not doing open houses, their name wasn't getting out there as much. Now, they had the rest of the semester to get to know freshman PNMs but still... first impressions.

Also, my chapter lost out on some great PNMs because they wanted the "experience" of going to open houses.

To me, it was too much of a free-for-all. I've been told by my chapter members who are Panhel exec members that it will be more coordinated this year. We'll see.
That's wrong to hogtie the chapters by not allowing them all to do the same thing and call it any sort of organized effort. With truly open COB, not coordinated in any way by Panhel, it's up to the chapters how they want to rush. If ABC wants to have huge open houses and skits to fill 3 spots, they can. If XYZ wants to fill the 20 spots they have with the 20 girls on the softball team without throwing a single party, with just walking over to practice and giving the girls the bids, they can.

But if Panhellenic is coordinating an effort, there should be AT LEAST one night where ALL the rushees meet ALL the chapters, regardless of their current size. To do otherwise isn't very Panhellenic.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Frankly, I'm not a fan of Phirred Up in the first place. It was designed for the mens' groups and I don't think they've gotten the hang of the womens' groups.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Frankly, I'm not a fan of Phirred Up in the first place. It was designed for the mens' groups and I don't think they've gotten the hang of the womens' groups.
I agree. Yes, get rid of the ridiculous silence restrictions that some campi have had, but that doesn't mean a free-for-all, all the time. If a rushee complains about one round-robin night of rush where God forbid she might have to talk to women she has nothing in common with, that to me says she isn't a very good prospect for Greek life (or just life, period).

If you have a chapter that has no clue how to rush outside of formal, yes, PhiredUp can open their eyes, but that doesn't mean they can make it the be-all and end-all. You need to be skilled at both types of rush to truly succeed.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's wrong to hogtie the chapters by not allowing them all to do the same thing and call it any sort of organized effort. With truly open COB, not coordinated in any way by Panhel, it's up to the chapters how they want to rush. If ABC wants to have huge open houses and skits to fill 3 spots, they can. If XYZ wants to fill the 20 spots they have with the 20 girls on the softball team without throwing a single party, with just walking over to practice and giving the girls the bids, they can.

But if Panhellenic is coordinating an effort, there should be AT LEAST one night where ALL the rushees meet ALL the chapters, regardless of their current size. To do otherwise isn't very Panhellenic.
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I've actually seen it work for highly competitive chapters/schools. It would take forever to explain here, but they do cater to those environments and they alter their generic rules and lessons for such a group.

Quote:
I agree. Yes, get rid of the ridiculous silence restrictions ...
Ironically, if just this was done, a program like Phired Up could help immensely. It's not just about COB, but rather, they encourage "real" connections and relationships outside of a quick 20 minute conversation at a recruitment party.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-12-2013, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Somebody posted a couple of days ago on the Class of 2017 Facebook page asking "What sororities/fraternities are you guys rushing for?" Said somebody isn't rushing a Panhellenic sorority and probably doesn't know better... but there are plenty of people rushing for ABC and XYZ Panhellenics who are saying which one or two they're there to rush. Uh oh.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment starts for me tomorrow. I have heard these sort of comments all over the place. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked, "Which one are you rushing for?" When I try to explain that that's not how it works, they say, "No, no, no. I mean, which one do you want to be in?" And I'm like, "That's not how it works." Then I get confused looks as if I'm the one who doesn't know what I'm talking about. I think most of it stems from people's misperceptions about Greek Life. Some people could be confusing the formal recruitment process with the informal recruitment process (where you rush for a sorority who needs to meet quota).
Old 08-12-2013, 02:51 PM

Soomie, they may mean "Even though you have to go to all the parties, which one do you want?" Even some NPC alumnae use this terminology incorrectly.

A PNM I wrote a rec for this year is a legacy to a chapter and her sister just graduated 2 years ago. She told me that her own sister advised her to "only rush for the ones with a good reputation." For Pete's sake this is a recent alumna of a chapter at Oklahoma State. People say things wrong all the time.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Soomie, you are ahead of the game because you get it! I just heard of a young woman who will be rushing spring semester and several of us alums from different sororities volunteered to write recs. for her. She very politely thanked us, and then told us she would get in touch later after she decides which ones she wants to concentrate on ! :-0
Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter already had her recs sent for winter recruitment by this time last year. I'm afraid that young lady is in for a wake-up call. Having recs now will help the members know which PNMs they'd like to concentrate on this fall!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
My daughter already had her recs sent for winter recruitment by this time last year. I'm afraid that young lady is in for a wake-up call. Having recs now will help the members know which PNMs they'd like to concentrate on this fall!
Ding. Ding. Ding.

Our alumnae chapter's rec board will be mailing ALL spring recs in this Friday. You hit the nail on the head- the PNM must get on the chapter's radar.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Banned

ALL National GLO's have 'elite' chapters and 'struggling' chapters. There aren't any that are more exclusive than another. ABC is terrible at Everyday University and strong at Nearby University. There is pride in all the organizations, and some GLO's will claim they are stronger because of numbers, founding date, prominent members, or their 'manufactured image'. Go with your heart open and trust that you will learn something from everyone. Be sure to give something of yourself to every woman you meet. It can be a smile, a compliment, an inner appreciation and respect that is shown in your manner or by the twinkle in your eyes. We are all lucky to be a part of this fabulous experience. Panhell love…..