GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,410
1 members and 1,409 guests
Titchou

Old 09-19-2018, 06:43 AM
GreekChat Member

And that's also what a rec does for you. A member is vouching for you, calling the chapter's attention to you,announcing that you are coming and are wonderful! Get those recs.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Some things to consider

A recommendation is an introduction of you to the Chapter. It puts you on the Chapter's radar. A recommendation can never hurt you and can only help you. My school says that recs are not necessary but most chapters will courtesy invite you back to round two which gives them the opportunity to meet you again and gives you a second opportunity to look at the Chapter. Also, consider what some Universities do with grades. Some take years 9-11 only and some give the Chapters core class grades only. With a recommendation that information is listed on the form so the Chapter can use that GPA and not what the university is publishing for the Chapter use.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_made032 View Post
Recommendation letters aren't needed at my school, should I still get them?
Do your best to get recommendation letters for every group on your campus, even if they "aren't needed." This will make your life easier and can be equivalent to a member "vouching for you."

The ways that sororities select members is secret to each organization, but I don't think that knowing someone puts the PNM at that much of an advantage. Can it be a positive thing if a member has a good impression? For sure, but it usually won't make that much of a difference for freshmen. It matters more for upperclassmen and also for anyone doing COB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_made032 View Post
Also if I don't know any of the girls because I am out of state how will I get current members to vouch for me?
You will need to make a good impression at recruitment. Like everyone else who is an out of state (OOS) freshman.

This is one of those things that you have no control over. So I recommend that you do what you can and stop worrying about it. This means getting recs in order and also going to any pre-recruitment and the tabling events that you are able to attend. Other than that, all you can do is make your very best impression at recruitment and you will land where you are meant to be. Other OOS women will be in the same boat as you. There is not much you can do about it, and sororities understand that.

Also, as a counterpoint (playing devil's advocate here)...would you want to be part of a chapter that places significant weight on something as superficial as whether someone is OOS or instate? I hope not. If a chapter decides that they don't want you purely because you are from OOS, good luck and good riddance to them. Those women wouldn't have been the best sisters for you anyway.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinseggblue View Post

The ways that sororities select members is secret to each organization, but I don't think that knowing someone puts the PNM at that much of an advantage. Can it be a positive thing if a member has a good impression? For sure, but it usually won't make that much of a difference for freshmen. It matters more for upperclassmen and also for anyone doing COB.

??? Knowing one or more members is MAJOR at many Southern universities.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

In all of my research, oos gals really don't have a tougher time getting into a sorority at any school. But there are SOME chapters that you have basically zero chance. Don't go in with expectations about best or even acceptable chapters. Be open to all of them, be prepared and you'll likely be just fine.

And get your recs.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:56 PM

I think this conversation has swayed too far in the "having someone to vouch for me doesn't matter" direction. Even for freshmen, having friends inside a chapter is a HUGE advantage. If you were on the high school cheer squad or volleyball team or whatever with a current sorority active, that is a BIG factor (positive or negative!) Those actives know before recruitment even begins if that chapter wants you or not. If you are OOS, you are extremely unlikely to have those advantages (or disadvantages.) That being said, not every in-stater will have those developed connections either.

However, you can't change it, so control what you can. Get recs. Be nice to people. Smile. You'll find friends.