GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,530
2 members and 1,528 guests
babobygooglet93, navane

Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Brake for a retro recruitment story!

SCENE: A large state university in a metropolitan area

ERA: Late 1980's

TIME of YEAR: August

RUSHEES: 66Camaro and her fraternal twin sister, 65Mustang

CHAPTERS:

Candy Apple Red

Midnight Blue

Jet Black

Silver Streak

Sky Blue Metallic

Violet Sparkle

The next post is in the shop and will be posted as soon as the mechanics have finished!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:56 PM

Are you for real?

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

oh man i hope so.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh I'm so mad! I had the entry typed out and when I clicked submit, my login had timed out. Let me start re-typing.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

PRELUDE: The summer before we started college.

Our mother had never gone to college, so when we told her that we'd made the decision to attend the same school, she was ecstatic. She told everybody- friends, friends of friends, church friends, neighbors, waitresses at local restaurants when we went out to eat, the grocery store checker- everybody. She told them we were going to room together in the dorms (although she left out completely that the reason was because it was cheaper than if we roomed separately and had different roommates, but we shut up and let her have her moments). So if was no wonder that finally, a friend of one of mother's friends asked, "So, are the twins going through rush?"

....what?

Mother had never gone to college, and although her father and our father and their fathers (you get the idea) had all gone to college, none of them knew anything about sorority rush. We had friends from high school who had joined sororities in college, and we knew that, but it had never occurred to us to ask them how to actually do that.

The friend of mother's friend invited mother and us to lunch, where she gave us a crash course in sororities and rush. She'd been a Hunter Green Metallic at a public university in another state. She proudly told us that rush was very competitive at her school, so we figured she knew what she was talking about. We were in awe during lunch.

By the time she was done, I, being the social butterfly, was hooked. I wanted to go through rush and give sorority life a try. 65Mustang, almost as social as me but more bookish, said she wanted to do it too, although she was more subdued about it. Forget that, I was excited!

The friend made arrangements for us to meet several women she knew who were in sororities so they could help her write recommendations for us, which they all told us would help. When we mailed in our signups for rush, we had recs to: Hunter Green Metallic, Royal Blue, Bright Orange, and Silver Streak. We knew there was a chapter of Silver Streak at our school and wondered if having the rec would help.

We only lived about 30 miles from school, so we didn't move into the dorm until the day before classes and rush started. We went to the informational meeting that evening in the student center, where we met our Rho Chis and learned that we would be in separate rush groups. We were kind of happy about that, because even though we're fraternal and not identical twins, usually the only way people who didn't know us well could tell us apart was because 65Mustang wore her glasses and I rarely did. We figured we would probably stand out as "the twins" but we were hopeful that people would get to know us as individual people.

We went back to the dorm to unpack and talk about things. The Rho Chis had encouraged us to give all the groups fair shots and to be open-minded so we had the best chances of finding our homes, so we decided we would not tell each other which groups we were selecting as the week went on. We didn't know if we would be able to stick to that, but we decided to try it.

Pit stop time! The next post will be about that first night of rush!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Maybe she means that they could share things like utensils, hair product, towels, etc. as opposed to buying two sets of everything if they lived separately....
Old 04-21-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
Maybe she means that they could share things like utensils, hair product, towels, etc. as opposed to buying two sets of everything if they lived separately....
Do twins seriously do that? Um, yuk. I don't care if I was identical and my twin was my BFF and we lived in a refrigerator box, I'd want my own damn bottle of hair spray.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiOmegaMOM2 View Post
I've tried to be nice about this and sent you PMs for which you have NOT responded, but NOW, I've had a real problem with your story. After reading your quote above, I don't believe you. For one thing, I am the mother of twins who went to college and had different roomates the first year. They lived in the same dorm with different roomates. It is the same price if the roommate is the twin or if it is another person. You seem to be making this whole thing up. If not, my apologies. There are a few points to your story that don't add up Especially, the initiation dates.
If it is true, good for you.

I obviously can't answer for 66Camaro regarding your question on initiation, but I can answer the dorm question for you, having once been a dorm resident myself at the university in question.

At the time we went to school, the twins had the option of living separately with different roommates in one dorm, or living in a different dorm in the same room, together- which WAS cheaper than the first option. You're right that the price should be the same per person whether you're paying for one or two or ten people, but at that time, the different dorms charged different rates for rooms. In other words, the rate was different for one person in a two-bedroom, four-person suite, with both bedrooms sharing one bathroom between them (so 4 people to a bathroom), than for one person in a room with two beds for two people and a private bathroom.

I'm also guessing that BabyPink was right about the costs of shampoos and toiletries.

Last edited by CougarGrad; 04-21-2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-21-2009, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiOmegaMOM2 View Post
I've tried to be nice about this and sent you PMs for which you have NOT responded, but NOW, I've had a real problem with your story. After reading your quote above, I don't believe you. For one thing, I am the mother of twins who went to college and had different roomates the first year. They lived in the same dorm with different roomates. It is the same price if the roommate is the twin or if it is another person. You seem to be making this whole thing up. If not, my apologies. There are a few points to your story that don't add up Especially, the initiation dates.
If it is true, good for you.
Meow hiss hiss. Seriously, was this necessary? I mean, of ALL things to lie about, (IF she was going to lie...) why this?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Camaro View Post
SCENE: A large state university in a metropolitan area

ERA: Late 1980's

TIME of YEAR: August

RUSHEES: 66Camaro and her fraternal twin sister, 65Mustang

CHAPTERS:

Candy Apple Red

Midnight Blue

Jet Black

Silver Streak

Sky Blue Metallic

Violet Sparkle

The next post is in the shop and will be posted as soon as the mechanics have finished!
you have a twin? Plllllleeease tell me you both went to different schools!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
you have a twin? Plllllleeease tell me you both went to different schools!!!
Is it time to get out my pink sequined hose?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
Is it time to get out my pink sequined hose?
I'm incredibly upset that I completely missed that thread.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

yay new recruitment story!!!!!!1
Old 04-09-2009, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
I'm incredibly upset that I completely missed that thread.
So I'm not sure if you mean you haven't read it, or that you just weren't in on the action... but for anyone who hasn't read it, here ya go. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=88442

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 04-09-2009, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile_Awhile View Post
So I'm not sure if you mean you haven't read it, or that you just weren't in on the action... but for anyone who hasn't read it, here ya go. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=88442
[hijack]
I don't know how I possibly missed that thread! With that said, I'm pissed. After her last post I was ready to reach through the screen and smack a chick (that's the unpoised, unpolished, mean girl in me.)