GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 932
2 members and 930 guests
KDKells, Xidelt

Old 11-04-2018, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Check out what new local sorority Delta Sigma (formerly AOII Sigma at UC Berkeley) did when International pulled their charter over a property dispute that had nothing to do with active collegians. The chapter members had the support of UC Berkeley and the college panhellenic, and were able to quickly form a new legal entity in time to claim the campus chapter opening left by AOII. Sigma's corp. board was obviously happy to continue to rent the house to the new Delta Sigmas/old AOIIs.

Act fast and you may be able turn this around to your advantage.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't see anything about the university explicitly forbidding them online. Unless you get a significant number of members who weren't former XYZs I don't think people will see y'all as anything other than "the new club of former XYZs". Are you able to still rent and fill the house or would you not be housed on campus?

I think what you're doing would fill a need. Delta Nu Zeta at Florida State and the University of Florida and Xi Delta at the University of Georgia are other locals at schools similar to yours that you might consider reaching out to. I believe someone on here is a member of Xi Delta?
Old 11-04-2018, 08:42 PM

I feel like Xi Delt has affiliated with someone but I can't think of who? Or maybe I'm just making it up because Xi Delt the poster became a member on an NPC?

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:51 PM

It looks like both of those locals are going strong.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi, I'm an alumna of Xi Delta who joined DPhiE as an alumna initiate. Xi Delta is still on campus, but it is much smaller and less active than when I was a member. My first advice to you would be to see if your campus administrators are even open to the idea of a local sorority.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I wrote out a VERY long rely, but it appears GC/my phone/internet goblins ate it. Instead, I will PM you later with most of what I wrote. Here it is in a nutshell:

I am usually very clueless at figuring out schools and chapters, but I think I know this one. If I am correct, right now I just want to jump through the screen and give you a big hug. And another. Then, I want to sit with you in the sunshine and let you just pour out your heart. Talking, sunshine and sweet tea has helped heal many a wound.

However, I understand that right now you aren't wanting to just talk, you want action. Emotions are running high, you feel for your sisters and you are really concerned for the future of your local charitable organization. If you are who I think you are, you are a leading woman who has a heart for service. To borrow a southern phrase, "you've been cut from some good cloth."

Here is my advice to you right now. Breathe. Just breathe. It may seem like NOW is the time to jump to action as you have support across the campus and within your sisterhood.

However, emotions--and the support that come with them--are fleeting. Most local sororities are groups of 25-50 women. They don't have houses. If you created anything similar to what you are currently in, you are talking about running a small corporation. You need a legal team of professionals, insurance, financial advisors, a billing system, a standards committee to insure legal compliance, advisors, a separate board to operate your facility (if you have one) and we haven't even addressed the organization within the chapter. My head just hurts thinking about all of this.

You are in a unique situation. You have had leadership training. You have a network of sisters. You have drive and you have support. Sisterhood is a connection of the heart. It goes far beyond buildings and organizations. So, take that and address your biggest concern--funding your local charitable organization.

You don't have to do it the way you have in the past. Gather some girls together, get with the organization and create a task force where you can dream up new ways to fund. The strongest charitable organizations have a wide network of support. The idea is to create a huge following of raving fans who spread your message. That way when one supporter drops out, there are others to immediately take their place. When people feel they have a level of ownership or connection to a charitable group, a loyalty in giving is established. Instead of the group relying upon your one fall event for funding, perhaps y'all can figure out a way to broaden their support base. The event, if I am assuming this correctly, that you have coming up will KILL it this year. Perhaps you even figure out ways to allow for giving during the event as a way of giving more than ever this year so the organization can bridge some funding gaps that may occur in the future.

You don't have to create anything new to get some sisters together to figure out ways to fund your charitable organization. It is a natural outgrowth of a system you already have in place--even if you don't have mandatory weekly chapter meetings.

Right now you need to navigate around a few huge traps:
1. Thinking that the current support you have on campus will last forever. Emotions are fleeting and people have very short memories. Capitalize upon it for your current event, but don't assume that same level of support will be there in the future.

2. Don't become bitter. None of us--including yourself--know the full story or have a birds eye view of the situation. Here is an alternative way of looking at your narrative: You've been given a unique gift. You can have sisterhood without the pressure. You don't have to fight for rank in a system. You don't have to go through recruitment where others define your "success." You don't have financial obligations. Give things some time. There may be some benefits of being an unaffiliated sister. Work with your nationals to come up with some ideas of how to preserve sisterhood. You may not believe this right now, but I bet they really love you and want the very best for you. Within the alumnae realm, they have official alumnae groups as well as more loosely connected alumnae circles. I am assuming liability is the biggest issue regarding "official" events, but perhaps together y'all can figure out a way to serve the current sisters and turn some of the pain into joy. Give it some time.

If I am assuming right, you are a part of a long legacy of leading women. Embrace that--and the support around you from sisters, alumnae and the campus in general--and figure out ways to fund your charitable organization. You don't have to create anything new to do this. If your concern is for future students to have a place to belong, that is a noble thought. Wait a bit on that one. Allow you and your sisters to heal first. Bolster up your charitable organization. You may find that something (service organization) naturally develops through that, but don't let that be your focus.

Once again, I want to give you a huge hug and tell you that it will be ok. It really will. You and your sisters are amazing girls. Celebrate your friendships and don't break connections. Watch some football together. Go to class. Laugh. Just enjoy being a student for a bit and your heart will heal. You've got this, girl!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Sunflower....first of all, I am so sorry this has happened to you, your chapter and the alums of your organization. I lost my chapter so know somewhat the pain you are feeling. Yet, a little over 30 years later we are back on my campus in a beautiful new house and doing well. So hope does spring eternal!

Second, I know your campus and have 2 good PH friends who were initiated there. It's tough for them as well. I don't know if you have formally talked with your Greek Life office so I may be telling you things you already know. Your campus does not support locals. There are many reasons for this -one huge one being the HUGE risk mgt issues your campus has had in the past not to mention very bad national PR for some of the Greeks there. They want to control these issues and I understand that they should. So anything resembling a Greek local is going to be pretty hard for you.

Promoting yourselves as some other organization is also based on whether or not the U will recognize you. You may be required to have liability insurance which is going to be difficult and expensive. You really need to talk with your Greek Life office about the local question and the Dean of Students or whomever is over other student orgs so that you understand the U's rules on those types of orgs.

Additionally, the U has offered you meeting space,etc while there are still members on campus. While that may not seem optimal as the chapter would eventually cease to exist, I truly think it would be a situation in which you could maintain your identify, sisterhood and closeness as things play out.

And lastly, my group's founders chose the anchor for our badge because it is the ancient symbol of hope. So whenever you feel there is no hope in your situation, I invite to to go hug our anchor....and know that you and your sisters are in my heart. If any of the members ask why you are there, tell them that crazy old alum in Birmingham invited you over! Hugs.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks you all for all the advice. We're just trying to keep positive and see how we can move forward in this situation. This is just what we went to first since it's what we know how to do. Since this thread has already made it's way to GreekRank where we're being laughed at for "not having dignity", I'm just going to stop replying and let this idea die.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Please ignore GreenRank. That site - especially your campus site - is atrocious. You have some good advice here, I hope it is something you will consider.

Sometimes the bonds of sisterhood can transcend the actual sisterhood. If you and a group of women are committed to a cause, have a bond, and want a place to call your own, does it need greek letters around it? I would think that forming a local sorority vs. forming a campus club/organization are two different experiences and the later might be more palatable to a campus that would otherwise shy away from a local sorority experience. Or perhaps as a group you can approach an already nationally established service organization and talk with them about how you might infuse your philanathropy into their work. Just a couple of thoughts.

Find a place to come together. Put your thoughts down on paper, what would an organization look like? What would your mission look like, your activities, your impact? Your membership? Bring to the administration on your campus and perhaps they can help you form something, founded by you and your sisters. Maybe it's a local. Maybe it's a new and growing group on campus. You will need the support of your adminstration to get something going, but not with out thought and shape. Some of it is there already...keep working. I personally think you are tapping into something really interesting.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

To piggyback on VioletsAreBlue, a campus social/service organization may be a very viable option. When Harvard passed its new rule essentially banning single-sex social clubs and GLO's from full "rights" on its campus, three of the four NPC groups on campus disaffiliated from their national groups and formed gender-neutral social/service groups, while the fourth voted to disband and turn in its charter (with all the women becoming alumnae members); then those women formed their own gender-neutral social-service organization. All four of these groups sought assistance from the University and their new groups are fully approved to recruit new members in Spring 2019 (same as they would have done when they were NPC chapters). Although these groups must now recruit on a gender-neutral basis, per the university's requirements, all four of these social-service organizations are female-focused and, in most instances, focused on the same philanthropic endeavors that they pursued before. Perhaps this might be an avenue for the women in your chapter, with the guidance and assistance of the University? Just another option to consider.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and to repeat VioletsAreBlue -- please ignore GR as much as you can. So much of what is posted on there is just plain infantile, if not outright toxic.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you start a service sorority? I was in Gamma Sigma Sigma. You'd have sisterhood and service, and many schools don't frown upon them, because they see it as more of a student activity/club than a Greek organization. I'd be happy to call you a sister! I'm so sorry you're going through this.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:34 AM

Would GSS be okay with a chapter designating one philanthropy or would that be frowned upon? Just asking because philanthropy events and service hours can sometimes be two very different animals.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Can you start a service sorority? I was in Gamma Sigma Sigma. You'd have sisterhood and service, and many schools don't frown upon them, because they see it as more of a student activity/club than a Greek organization. I'd be happy to call you a sister! I'm so sorry you're going through this.
Given that there actually is an NPC system there, the chance of the administration rejecting Gamma Sigma Sigma is microscopically small. To flip it, the assumption from APO staffers is that any school with a recognized IFC that isn't in complete chaos will allow Alpha Phi Omega.

However one question is would the OP be ok with Mister Sisters (GSS having no Title IX exemption)
Old 11-13-2018, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Would GSS be okay with a chapter designating one philanthropy or would that be frowned upon? Just asking because philanthropy events and service hours can sometimes be two very different animals.
When I was an undergrad in GSS, we always had a major focus that changed every two years. That didn't limit our service to other organizations and also service to the campus.