GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,654
3 members and 2,651 guests
3DGator, Phrozen Sands, zalexisopz9425

Old 11-07-2003, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DZHBrown
I think we should pride our organizations a little more. I'm sure the majority of us are guilty of saying something every once in awhile we wish we wouldn't have and regret that our words reflect upon our GLO and Greeks. However, some people have a tendency to always speak in a manner that reflects poorly on their GLO. Do I automatically think, "oh, XYZ sorority is full of bitchy/slutty/whatever women"? No, but if I see several people from the same org posting in the same manner, then yes, I do begin to form opinions. I'm open minded enough to know that not every single member is like that, but I do think some represent their org poorly. As far as non-Greeks go, some of these non-Greeks may be considering going Greek. If they log on here and read some of the trash that is posted, then it may change their mind.
I think it should go without saying that we always represent our orgs and Greeks when we join and we should hold that to a higher standard.
this really doesn't have anything to do with having pride in your organization. those people who are going to base an opinion of an entire org. by what one person said probably wasn't going to go greek anyway. now if all or a good amount of people who felt that way or acted in that manner, i can see a trend. but when one person says something like that, are you really going to go back and try and track down their affiliation and make assumptions from a single user?
Old 11-07-2003, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
I don't think it's a misinterpretation.....you are speaking specifically, while others are speaking generally.
well, I feel like something I've said is being twisted to mean something else. it's not a pride or standards thing, it's a "you should probably not say the XYZs are wimpy jerks because they might find out you said that and whale on you" thing.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

starang21,

I did not know you were born a Greek Social Member.

Oh maybe I got this wrong, or were you a non Greek Member before you joined. What was your first perception of Greeks?

I as a Greek Member when I wear my Letters, Badge, or let people know I am a greek try to convey my self as A Member of A Greek Organization.

Most people have no clue about Greek Organizatiosn except of which they have read or seen in the Media.

Oh, ABC did this, XYZ did that, so they must all be bad!

If this is your perception, then I totally disagree with you! YOU represent GreekDom everytime you wear your letters no matter what Name it is!

I think We as Greeks try to hold a Higher Calibur for ourselves and all Greeks. You act like a jerk, then we all are looked as like jerks!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-07-2003, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JLyons
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
well, I feel like something I've said is being twisted to mean something else. it's not a pride or standards thing, it's a "you should probably not say the XYZs are wimpy jerks because they might find out you said that and whale on you" thing.
33girl, I think what you are trying to get across is a security issue. I know this may be a little extreme, but I thought an analogy might help clarify. It's kind of like giving out little bits of information about yourself in various posts here thinking nothing of it because you think you are safe. When in actuality you are not, someone (like a criminal picking out its next victim) can very easily do a little research and find out who you are and where you are located. I'm I correct in what you were trying to say?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

"Not to mention that there are often National representatives on the board that will either become members or search annonymously. If you feel that what you said wouldn't warrant a frown from your National President or a representative, then you've got nothing to worry about. "

True that. I said something once and two days later I got an email from our nationals saying to stop what I was doing or else. Talk about some rumors. Those things spread quickly on GC.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Unregistered-

If an XYZ decides to be stupid on the boards, I'm smart enough to know that it's not wise to assume that all XYZs like that. But then again, not everyone's minds works that way.

But hey--if you want to be stupid and start crap on the boards with your letters attached to your name or your posts, go right ahead. You'll most likely be the one who'll look stupid and chances are, most people aren't going to give a shit about what you say, anyway.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
starang21,

I did not know you were born a Greek Social Member.

Oh maybe I got this wrong, or were you a non Greek Member before you joined. What was your first perception of Greeks?

I as a Greek Member when I wear my Letters, Badge, or let people know I am a greek try to convey my self as A Member of A Greek Organization.

Most people have no clue about Greek Organizatiosn except of which they have read or seen in the Media.

Oh, ABC did this, XYZ did that, so they must all be bad!

If this is your perception, then I totally disagree with you! YOU represent GreekDom everytime you wear your letters no matter what Name it is!

I think We as Greeks try to hold a Higher Calibur for ourselves and all Greeks. You act like a jerk, then we all are looked as like jerks!
i've had friends who were greeks and nongreeks before and after i intook. my perception of them and how they acted was strictly personal. i didn't automatically say all XYZ's are like this because so so acted like this. nah, i knew them as people and didn't feel the need to lump them all into one stereotype. i represent Iota Phi Theta, but not all of my beliefs are going to coincide with what some of my frat believe.

Last edited by starang21; 11-07-2003 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine

But hey--if you want to be stupid and start crap on the boards with your letters attached to your name or your posts, go right ahead. You'll most likely be the one who'll look stupid and chances are, most people aren't going to give a shit about what you say, anyway.
there are plenty of people on this site who do that and i don't think that folks really give two shits about what organization they're in, anyway.

Last edited by starang21; 11-07-2003 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

While you may be right, just go look and see how many people have signed up on this site!

Are there some, YES there are. But for the most part, we all have something in common. We look toward our Greek Organization, and then the rest of the Greeks. We have a bond because we are Greeks and that is why we are here helping each other out, going to meet other Greeks.

We are not isolationist for only our Group but for all. We are all in the same pot, just some with different letters.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-07-2003, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
While bananas aren't exactly an inflammatory issue, some other topics discussed on GC are, and when some posters represent their views in an angry/bigoted manner, it will SHAME their organization.
Snaps, snaps. I know if I see something that I see as bigoted or inflammatory posted by someone with MY letters in their sig, you bet I'm going to PM them and ask them if they are going to say something like that, to take my letters off of it. It just looks like too much of an endorsement of something inflammatory or bigoted.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well that I can understand. Sorry if I was one of the twisters.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:44 PM

q1

Quote:
Originally posted by dzrose93
This needs to be pasted at the top of every forum! LOL

LOL yes it does!!!
Old 11-08-2003, 01:39 AM

Re: A few Greek Chat hints

Quote:
--If you come to a message board dedicated to Greek Life and never make any posts about any aspect of Greek Life, or mention it, people will probably think you're not quite legit. If all you ever post about is this or that consumer product or movie or TV show, people will probably realize you're using a form of spam called "stealth marketing."
Excellent point, Sheila! I think I will ponder it over a cup ot verbaltea.com
Old 11-08-2003, 04:31 AM
wreckingcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
While you may be right, just go look and see how many people have signed up on this site!

Are there some, YES there are. But for the most part, we all have something in common. We look toward our Greek Organization, and then the rest of the Greeks. We have a bond because we are Greeks and that is why we are here helping each other out, going to meet other Greeks.

We are not isolationist for only our Group but for all. We are all in the same pot, just some with different letters.
This is a post from Earp?

Either Tom's dictating to an executive assistant(yeah right ) or someone's gotten ahold of his password.

The Earpman i know doesn't type this way

Oh yeah, and 33girl is 100% right.

Kitso
KS 361
Old 11-08-2003, 01:32 PM

Who's to say what "representing yourself appropriately, while 'wearing' Greek letters" really means?

Sidebar: I partially agree with starang21 (as usual ), but I do think we have a "duty" to uphold certain principles, while we represent our organizations. On the other hand, some people have no personal convictions, but only have any sort of "class" or pride in themselves WHEN they are representing their organizations. So, I think we should seek a balance.

So, anyway, back to my original point: We've all read (and perhaps said) some things that may be (or have been) deemed inappropriate by others (some of whose opinions DO count and others whose opinions DON'T). With that in mind, let's not put more weight on this whole issue than need be.