GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,148
2 members and 1,146 guests
Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 05-25-2016, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

1987? 1992? Really? No active member in college today (maybe someone with the nickname "Blue" excepted) was alive at the time, so just.. no..

I think if you look at college fraternal groups such as SAE, you're going to find a number of regrettable incidents in their past, present and future. Our members are, have and will be responsible for racial incidents, hazing incidents, sexual abuse incidents and no matter what policies universities adopt or what our national offices do or how much we alumni want to inject ourselves into these students' daily lives, the fact will not change that our active membership consists of men, mostly 18-22 years old, many from backgrounds of privilege, who make bad decisions. What distinguishes each of our groups is not that those things happen, but rather how our organizations strive to prevent those things from occurring and what we do in response when proactive measures fail (and they will).

I don't want to be too critical of SAE's general staff at this stage in the game. They recently went through a very messy separation with their former executive director in which he very publicly resigned his membership. If they are not a mess internally right now, I would be very surprised.

I also hesitate to comment as to whether this is an SAE problem or just a problem most fraternities probably have, which is only made more public today because of social media and the lesser tendency on the part of administrators to turn a blind eye towards this sort of thing.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-25-2016, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was a pledge, one of my roommates - a fellow pledge - was Asian. I didn't know much about Chinese culture, but I knew enough to respect it. But it was also part of our house rules (no offensive jokes, etc.); I signed a document as part of a new tenant/resident of my fraternity house to not do that.

I know that 18 to 22 year old boys can be a bit unruly at times; we launched many water balloons from our upper deck, let me tell you, but we never crossed the line with racial slurs or jokes. We just didn't go there.

No fraternity is perfect. We've had 2 chapters close this year due to hazing allegations. But I just think the racial issue could be prevented - or, at the very least, addressed - from the top. It'd be unfortunate if it happened again.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
No fraternity is perfect. We've had 2 chapters close this year due to hazing allegations. But I just think the racial issue could be prevented - or, at the very least, addressed - from the top. It'd be unfortunate if it happened again.
Trump is polling damn near dead even with Clinton and you think we can program better and stop racial insensitivity coming from our membership dead in its tracks?
Old 05-26-2016, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know, but I think it can be addressed. Or. maybe it can't and more chapters are suspended.

And, by the way, part of the reason Trump is gaining in the polls is because Clinton is running a weak campaign. She still has to get passed Sanders.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Our organizations are reflections of the cultures from which we draw our membership and within those cultures, racism, the use of offensive racial terms and lack of any involvement whatsoever with anything outside of white, middle to upper class suburbia is still very common. As the cost of higher education gets more out of reach for those at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder, especially in "red" states like Wisconsin, the problem is going to get worse rather than better no matter how many organizations are suspended and no matter how many mandatory diversity workshops are mandated.

I honestly don't know what, if anything can be done. I don't see shutting chapters down as effective, or in many cases as something schools can legally do. A surging Trump candidacy fueled by basically overt racism and homophobia doesn't give me a lot of hope either. The best you can do as an alumnus volunteer is to be involved at the local chapter level as much as possible, set a good example, model good behavior and set the expectation that your members act as decent human beings. It's a good start, but it won't always work.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree a lot with what you're saying.

But I do think that leadership, whether it be at the national level or the individual chapter's EC, can address it - and, possibly enforce it. This goes for any fraternity. If at the start of the school year, you address to the new members during orientation/retreat and the active members at the first chapter meeting that 'we won't tolerate such behavior' or else we'll take action, then maybe that's a start. It worked for us to know what the house rules were upfront and the consequences if we broke them.

As for Trump, well...we're living in scary times.