GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,589
1 members and 2,588 guests
LaneSig

Old 11-10-2008, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Campus Visits and Sororities

My sister is a junior in high school and is visiting an SEC school this weekend. She knows a couple girls in sororities there. Are there any rules against her getting a tour of a sorority house or meeting other sisters? I'm not familiar with all the rules and I just want to make sure she doesn't accidentally harm her chances for possibly rushing in the future. What exactly are the rules involving college visits for juniors? And please don't be mad if this question is posted somewhere else. I swear I tried to search for it. Sorry
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

ift should be fine for her to visit. she, of course, should mind her p's and q's. be on her best behavior, no talk about boys, booze, sex, politics, no talk about who is the best sorority on campus and which group is the dogs. she should not attend any fraternity parties.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

ditto to what FSUZTA said. There are no rules prohibiting a jr from visiting a sorority house. The big issue - she needs to realize she is being observed, making first impressions, etc. The women she meets will remember her whether or not she remembers them.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the help! She should be on her best behavior because my parents will be with her. Now I just hope my mom stays on her best behavior too haha.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:54 PM

I don't know that there are rules against sorority house visits, but she should know that first impressions are important and she should know that anything she does that raises eyebrows could be remembed in a negative manner.

I'd make it a point to let her know that just because she visits a house or meets members, doesn't mean she is guaranteed a bid there or something.

Sometimes younger girls can visit houses on campus, meet girls, and MISTAKENLY think they have an "in." Then recruitment comes, they get cut by that group and are devastated because they thought they had better chances of getting a bid there because of the visit. This isn't true, especially at big SEC schools.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-10-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Our panhellenic (and every individual sorority) very specifically holds some sort of informational during the campus visit weekends and does something for our alum from any chapter to come and see us. And of course, their daughters. It's not against the rules (our rush rules go in effect may 31st of the summer before they enter, so like 3 months). But even then they are allowed in the house with their (alum) mother anytime that summer.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Please, please do not refer to any sorority as "the dogs" on campus. Every sorority fills a need for some girl and has value. Please take the higher road.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa Mom x 2 View Post
Please, please do not refer to any sorority as "the dogs" on campus. Every sorority fills a need for some girl and has value. Please take the higher road.
Umm, I don't see anyone saying here that that would be a good idea. I don't believe that a young woman interested in sororities would be silly enough to make such a mistake.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-11-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

You are supposed to be the moderator- act like an adult instead of a spoiled brat.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You are supposed to be the moderator- act like an adult instead of a spoiled brat.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Most people who have interacted with me know that I am one of the most agreeable posters here, honestly. I was just pointing out that no girl who is visiting a sorority house is really going to say something like that.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow four posts on GC and already telling people what to do? Helicopter much?

Perhaps you should observe a while before you post again, so next time you don't look so judgemental. KSUViolet is one of the most reasonable people on this site, and FSUZeta was saying what not to do.

Read and learn.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been observing for quite a while, thank you. I am sure that KSUViolet has many positive attributes, as you all must have,too. I don't care if I appear judgemental to you, I am simply reminding you that your words make an impact on people and to always use good judgement in what you choose to put out there on a medium where things last forever.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

You're ridiculous.

"Simply reminding" is not what you did. You called someone a spoiled brat because of YOUR failure to comprehend what was being said.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I have been observing for quite a while, thank you. I am sure that KSUViolet has many positive attributes, as you all must have,too. I don't care if I appear judgemental to you, I am simply reminding you that your words make an impact on people and to always use good judgement in what you choose to put out there on a medium where things last forever.
You're the one calling names. I think you need to simmer down a little. Like I said, I'm generally a very agreeable poster and there was zero reason for you to call me a name.

Lakers Nation.