GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,361
1 members and 1,360 guests
TLLK
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 03:28 PM

Another bid matching question (ISP)

I have a silly question...

Say I'm a PNM at a school with four NPC sororities. I go through formal recruitment with an open mind (and comfortable shoes ). During round 1, I decide that I love Gryffindor, that Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw are nice but not my top choice, and I can't stand Slytherin. (Guess what I've been reading? )

I get my round 2 invites and find that Hufflepuff has cut me. I go back to the other 3 sororities, and my opinions don't change. I get my pref invites, and find that Ravenclaw has dropped me. I have two invites, one from my first choice and one from my last. I am required to go to both parties.

After pref, I go to fill out my pref card. I list Gryffindor first - that's easy. I've heard all about the dangers of Intentional Single Preference, but I really don't want to match to Slytherin. So... I list Hufflepuff as my second choice, reasoning that they cut me right away, so it's extremely unlikely I'm anywhere on their bid lists.

Technically that's not suiciding, since I did list more than one sorority, but my second choice was a sorority I didn't have a hope of matching with. Would this be considered suiciding or not? If I'm not matched to Gryffindor by regular bid matching, could I be a quota addition there? Or could I receive a snap bid from one of the other sororities?

I'm not encouraging PNMs to try to "beat the system" in this manner. I'm just curious to know how such a situation would be handled.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I think that you could list any groups on your bid card, unless the campus forbids it. Some only let you list groups to whom you've been invited for preference.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:01 PM

I don't think it's technically an ISP, but still equally risky. The chance of possibly not getting a bid is about the same.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-06-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I believe you must list all chapters at which you attended prefs in order to be eligible for snap bids/quota additions.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

But would this include chapters whose pref you'd been forced to go to? I know a girl who rushed an SEC school this year and she had to go to the maximum number of parties she was invited to daily, even for prefs. I've done a thread on forced prefs before--I can definitely see why you'd want to require PNMs to go to the maximum number earlier in recruitment, but for prefs--NO. Especially if not listing all your preffed sororities kept you from getting snap bids.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

I think it depend on the campus.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

It's just as risky as an ISP because if Gryffendor doesn't have you on their "A" list, then there's the chance you'll get dropped by them and you'll go without being in a house since Hufflepuff already dropped you...

You're not doing anything differently than a suicide as Hufflepuff is already a non-issue....
Old 10-07-2004, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Another bid matching question (ISP)

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
I have a silly question...

Say I'm a PNM at a school with four NPC sororities. I go through formal recruitment with an open mind (and comfortable shoes ). During round 1, I decide that I love Gryffindor, that Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw are nice but not my top choice, and I can't stand Slytherin. (Guess what I've been reading? )

I get my round 2 invites and find that Hufflepuff has cut me. I go back to the other 3 sororities, and my opinions don't change. I get my pref invites, and find that Ravenclaw has dropped me. I have two invites, one from my first choice and one from my last. I am required to go to both parties.

After pref, I go to fill out my pref card. I list Gryffindor first - that's easy. I've heard all about the dangers of Intentional Single Preference, but I really don't want to match to Slytherin. So... I list Hufflepuff as my second choice, reasoning that they cut me right away, so it's extremely unlikely I'm anywhere on their bid lists.

Technically that's not suiciding, since I did list more than one sorority, but my second choice was a sorority I didn't have a hope of matching with. Would this be considered suiciding or not? If I'm not matched to Gryffindor by regular bid matching, could I be a quota addition there? Or could I receive a snap bid from one of the other sororities?

I'm not encouraging PNMs to try to "beat the system" in this manner. I'm just curious to know how such a situation would be handled.

This actually happened quite a bit at my campus this year... (people listing chapters they weren't invited to pref at) and I don't think it's considered suicide, but it is just as risky. It would depend on the campus if you were still eligible for "snap bidding" or to be a quota addition. I think our rule is as long as you attended three nights you can receive snap bids.
Closed Thread