GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,334
1 members and 1,333 guests
aidanshulzeo560

Old 10-14-2009, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

A Disney Recruitment Story

Ok so this was my first ever time participating in any type of recruitment but I am a junior. My school isn't known for having a competitive recruitment but this year they had the highest number of girls (640) sign up! We have eight NPC sororities and a new that will be colonizing soon. Chapter total is 119.

So I don't have any close family members that have gone greek so this website helped a lot! It prepared me for almost everything. I went into recruitment knowing that as a junior I has less chances than a Freshman. I do regret not going through recruitment my freshman or sophomore years but oh well I know this what I want and I'm doing it now!

Over the summer I had found a lot of information out about the sorority that was colonizing because I knew that they really wanted upperclassmen. I loved everything this organization stood for and the more I learned about it the more I wanted to be a part of it. I think being a junior puts you at a disadvantage because you know all the reputations that each house has. So i really wasn't sure I could see myself in any of the organizations already on campus.

Im going to use disney characters for the houses and may or may not reveal the code at the end...

Alice
Aurora
Ariel
Belle
Cinderella
Jasmine
Mulan
Snow White

Day ONE -4 houses

Alice- I really like the outside of this house and was super nervous when we were waiting outside. I kind of knew what to expect but every house and campus is different. They started their cheer which is really cute and then two execs greeted us and behind them on the stairwell were the other sisters. When I looked in the smiles on their faces looked so fake and I was so worried about what I had gotten myself into. I was called in pretty quickly but was paired with another pnm to one active. The house is so nice on the inside! So we sat down and ended up talking to four actives. I felt like this house bumped the actives so much that we just kept saying the same things over and over again and never really got anywhere. I did really like the last active I talked to. We had a lot of stuff in common. I wasn't so sure I would fit in here but wanted to give it another shot.

Ariel-I have a few friends in this house and while I like them I don't really like their house that much. It wasn't as welcoming as some of the other houses. I was one of the last girls called but I was one on one with an active which I liked. We sat down and talked for two seconds before it was time to bump which sucked. The next active was very confused or nervous or something. She kept trying to remember the questions she was supposed to ask and would stare off for a few seconds while she concentrated. She was nice though. Again I just can't see myself here and I wasn't sure if I wanted to come back.

Aurora-We had to almost run to this house because it is so far away. I have a friend in this house and had seen the inside and it is so nice on the inside and outside. In my opinion it is the prettiest house on the outside. It is also the oldest on campus. I really liked how they offered us water here. It was the first house to do so. Here I got paired with another pnm and one sister. She was actually roommates with my friend which was pretty funny. We talked for a bit then she was bumped by another active who ended up not feeling very well so we were bumped again. I really liked my friends roommate and I could see how much she loved her house. The last active was pretty nervous and told us so. I was sure I wanted to come back to this house on philanthropy.

Belle-Again we had to run back across a bunch of streets to get to this house on time. We barely made it! At this house I was one on one again. I talked to this girl the entire time. At one point another active joined for a bit as well. The main active was really nice and I have family where she is from so we talked about that. She was a little repetitive sometimes but I was tired so I didn't care. I was so-so about this but I just don't think this is where I belong.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I know where you go to school! (I'm definitely not going to out you or anything!) I'm super excited to hear your story!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay new story!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I love your story so far!! I can't wait to hear the rest of it
Old 10-15-2009, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

i forgot to mention a few things with my last post...

On day one my walking group also saw a presentation for the new glo colony. It was a really great job and the ladies knew what they were talking about. The presentation and video we watched were really moving. After this I was very confused about staying in recruitment because I really liked this organization. I also thought it would be a way different experience to found a sorority and create new traditions. On the other hand, I am a junior and I really want to live in next year. The colony will have a house but they don't know what house or where yet and that could be a big risk.

Also i made a few friends in my walking group while going through recruitment. A sophomore transfer who we will call Tink. She is so sweet and so ready to be in a GLO. Also a freshman called Lily who is on the dance team and so pretty. She also has a super high gpa from high school so i knew she was going to be pretty popular among the houses.

My Rho Gams were so awesome but being a junior I had seen them both around campus and knew which houses they were in. I know they disaffiliate but at the same time when you know which house someone is in, its really hard to say talk about the houses with out trying to hurt someones feelings. This made it a little difficult for me to be super open with my rho gams. Rho Gam 1 was in aurora and Rho Gam 2 was in ariel. Honestly though everyone in our group had figured out which houses they were in by the of recruitment.

Ok back to my story....

Day TWO-4 Houses
Cinderella- This house is considered as one of the most competitive houses to get into. It is made up of a bunch of really great and laid back girls. At this house I was one on one with a sophomore and she was awesome. We talked for a bit about summer in our college town and we had done a lot of the same stuff this past summer. Someone rang a bell and the actives switched on us. The next active had heard our convo because she had been talking to the girl next to me and she wanted to keep talking about the same stuff. She hadn't been in town over summer but wanted recommendations. I really liked this house but I know how unlikely it is that they take juniors.

Jasmine- I know a few girls in this house already which made me more nervous for some reason. Here it was one on one again but we were standing instead of sitting like at all the other houses. I really enjoyed my conversation with this active but as she kept talking I started feeling like I had already heard her story before...Well I decided to take a shot and asked if she knew about this website called "greekchat" and she said she did. So i asked if she was a certain user who I had pm'ed earlier about recruitment at my campus and she was! i couldn't believe that i had gotten paired up with her because there was no one she knew my name or anything from GC. It was really fun talking to her about GC and how I was going to post my recruitment story too. I liked this house a lot especially the gc'er but I would have liked to see it with furniture to get a better feel for the house.

Mulan-We had to move quick to get to this house. Here I was one on one again with a girl the same age as me. We talked a lot about traveling and how she had only been to Canada and she was really interested in my trips to Europe. This lead to study abroad and stuff like that. While I liked the girl I was talking to, this house made me feel a little uncomfortable like I didn't belong. I didn't really like the house that much either. The area is right on a street corner so they dont have any yard or patio area. I was so-so about this house but would give it another shot because I had only talked to one girl.

Snow white- Last house of the night thankfully because I was so tired. We had to run to get to this house on time too. From the minute i saw the girls outfits I was turned off this house. Up until now all the girls had worn jeans and the same black greek shirts. At this house the girls wore white bottoms and it just wasnt flattering. I'm a really big shoe person and a lot of the girls were wearing horrible shoes. A lot of red eighties high heels and one girl had on hot pink four inch heel open toe mary janes. I didn't like how uncohesive the outfits were here. Sorry for that rant! I was paired with another pnm and one active. We got bumped pretty quickly and the other pnm asked their academics. The active told her academics were really important but they like to have fun too. She then told us the house slogan was "4.0s and forties!" Pretty sure she shouldnt have told us that. We do have a dry campus and booze is one of the no-no topics I learned about on gc. We got bumped a 2 more times and had ok conversations. I feel like when you get bumped so often you just start over with the same stuff like major and hometown. This is a gorgeous house but I just wasn't feeling the ladies here.

Ok rankings where we rank 6 1's and 2 2's.
i knew this probably wouldnt matter for me bc of my grade level but this is what i put.
1. alice
1. aurora
1. belle
1. cinderella
1. Jasmine
1. Mulan
2. ariel
2. snow white

I talked to my rho gam 1 about how I was interested in the colony and she told me to stay till pref night and not sign the card if I wanted to do the colony. She also helped me see a lot of the benefits of being in an established house and stuff that I hadn't really thought about before. This is such a stressful week...
Old 10-15-2009, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberrygloss View Post
I think I know where you go to school! (I'm definitely not going to out you or anything!) I'm super excited to hear your story!
yeah we def go to the same school. pm which house you are in! i cant wait for you to finish you story!
Old 10-15-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer88 View Post
She then told us the house slogan was "4.0s and forties!"
Wow. Um, really?

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Jasmine- I know a few girls in this house already which made me more nervous for some reason. Here it was one on one again but we were standing instead of sitting like at all the other houses. I really enjoyed my conversation with this active but as she kept talking I started feeling like I had already heard her story before...Well I decided to take a shot and asked if she knew about this website called "greekchat" and she said she did. So i asked if she was a certain user who I had pm'ed earlier about recruitment at my campus and she was! i couldn't believe that i had gotten paired up with her because there was no one she knew my name or anything from GC. It was really fun talking to her about GC and how I was going to post my recruitment story too. I liked this house a lot especially the gc'er but I would have liked to see it with furniture to get a better feel for the house.
that's so funny!
Old 10-16-2009, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm having so much fun figuring your code out! I'm just unsure about two of them. Sooo you need to update. ASAP.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Day THREE- Philantropy Day

So today we could get called back to a total of six houses. I knew I wouldn't have a full schedule and was so thankful i didn't get a call from my rho gam telling me I was dropped. I showed up a little late to the meeting room and I could already tell it was not going to be a good day for a lot of girls. Many of the girls in my walking group were angry or sad. So i get my schedule and what do I see?

break
break
Jasmine
break
break
Aurora
break

I was happy that I had two of the houses I had liked but disappointed that I only had two. I felt like such a loser and really wanted to cry until I started talking to other girls in my group. Only a few girls had full schedules and they were all freshman. Many complained that their bottom two houses were in their schedules. My friend Tink only had aurora, jasmine, and alice. She had ranked alice in her bottom the night before and she was upset she only had three. Lily also only had 3! This suprised me the most because to me she screamed perfect sorority girl with dance team, really high gpa and freshman grade. Lily had aurora, jasmine, and belle. She was realllly angry. She only wanted belle and the other two had been her bottom ranked the night before. So i realized as a junior I did ok compared to people who might be viewed as more desirable. Almost every girl in my walking group had alice, aurora and jasmine which made me a little uneasy because they would have to cut more after tonight.

Jasmine- So i had really enjoyed my chat with the fellow gc'er the day before and liked being one on one here. Unfortunately I was paired with another pnm here to one active. We went to look at a poster for their philantrophy but it was pretty crowded so I didn't really see much. This house did the most philanthopries of all the houses which I though was pretty cool. The other pnm I was with began talking about her church and religion stuff with the active and while im catholic and proud of it, they were both of a different religion than myself. I also knew that bible was one of the four b's that pnm's shouldnt talk about during recruitment. The active didnt seem to mind the religious talk though. I felt uncomfortable during this conversation like I shouldn't be there. The active also told me I was brave for going through as a junior which was kind of weird. I didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I also didn't get to do the craft and i'm a big craft person so i had been looking forward to that. I still liked this house even though I had a not so great philanthopy day.

Aurora-So by the time I got to Aurora I was feeling pretty bad about my situation but I tried to smile and be happy. Here i was one on one which i loved. The active showed me a poster, a scrapbook and shirts from their philanthropy. We then got to do the craft which was stuffing teddy bears from the build a bear factory. I loved this craft it was so adorable and fun. The active was also really cool, we had the same major and a lot to talk about. I also got introduced to a few more actives at the craft table. Overall I had a really good time stuffing teddy bears and could definitely see myself here.

So after my parties I talked to my rho gam(an aurora) about my options and although I had had fun at aurora I wasn't very confident in my prospects because of my grade level. I knew the colony wanted older girls for sure but i would have to withdraw from formal before pref if I was interested in the colony. I obviously didnt have to rank or anything because i only had two houses. What happens on day 4? I think i'll make you wait but I will say that a lot of weird things start to happen.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Wow. Um, really?
yeah i couldn't believe it either. It was funny because although they used to have the highest gpa among the houses they had been passed but another house this year so their slogan wasn't even accurate. This house is one that usually is very selective but I just found out they had a really bad recruitment and didn't make quota. I think it was the outfits day one that killed them. They gave out a few snap bids on bid night to girls who had quit recruitment but they have to wait until after the colony finishes their recruitment to give any more bids.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
yeah i couldn't believe it either. It was funny because although they used to have the highest gpa among the houses they had been passed but another house this year so their slogan wasn't even accurate. This house is one that usually is very selective but I just found out they had a really bad recruitment and didn't make quota. I think it was the outfits day one that killed them. They gave out a few snap bids on bid night to girls who had quit recruitment but they have to wait until after the colony finishes their recruitment to give any more bids.
I personally don't think it was the white shorts at all. In fact, I thought it was cute and fun. Many girls I know that wanted them got cut. One dropped out of recruitment cause she was so upset she got cut from them. I personally loved this house, but then again, I wasn't told about 4.0's and 40's haha.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sometimes this happens to popular chapters because they are forced to make a lot of cuts based on past performance, so they don't have a long bid list. If the PNMs that year choose their competitors over that chapter, poof, they don't make quota.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, those are pretty harsh cuts after Day 1. I'm glad you stuck with it!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Sometimes this happens to popular chapters because they are forced to make a lot of cuts based on past performance, so they don't have a long bid list. If the PNMs that year choose their competitors over that chapter, poof, they don't make quota.
I feel like this may have been the case. I actually preffed at the house she is talking about and I liked it, but I didn't feel like they wanted me. And it made it SO much easier to choose my house over them. Many PNM's could have felt this way and went to the competitors house. Just a thought.