GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,410
0 members and 2,410 guests
No Members online

Old 08-11-2014, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

A Magical Live Disney Recruitment!

Hello! I have been lurking around the site for a few years now; learning as much as I could about recruitment, the different sororities and enjoying these recruitment stories. So now that I am going through, I have decided to share my own as it is happening! Well, mostly. I will be staggering these just incase someone in recruitment reads this and frowns upon it. My new school has nine sororities, and since I have a huge Disney lover I have decided to name the houses after some of my favorite Disney Princesses!

Snow White*
Cinderella
Aurora*
Belle*
Ariel*
Anna*
Rapunzel*
Merida*
Elsa*

* Denotes at least one rec letter

So first, some background about me! Sorry if I ramble on a tad, I feel like exposition is needed to pick up the story as it is happening now…

I am going through recruitment as a sophomore this year; I have transferred to a larger state school.

My first university did have sororities, and I was very excited about joining one! I was the girl that signed up on the first day registration opened in the fall and made note of every girl I saw around our miniature campus in letters. As the semester went on I was not enjoying my time at the school, it was too small! Smaller than my high school, I felt suffocated by the lack of people or things to do. On top of that my major program was not all I had hoped it would be. It was obvious by the time first semester ended that I needed to transfer to a larger school with a more established and respected program for my major. So I spent my Christmas break researching and applying for new schools.

When second semester began I was extremely torn– I had waited for years to go through recruitment but I didn’t want to join one of the four sororities on my campus and risk transferring to a school that didn’t have a chapter of my sorority, or had a chapter that I didn’t fit in with. I ended up going to the first night of recruitment but dropped the next morning when I finally made a decision. I wanted to have a chance to really be a part of my sorority, not to spend one semester as a new member before leaving and having to early alum. It was hard to drop and even harder to see my friends pledge without me. I know I made the right decision dropping and waiting for this year, but it didn’t make it any easier.

This summer I’ve gone practically dotty with excitement and I spent far too much time reading other peoples recruitment stories while fantasizing about what my own would be like. As per the advice I have received from friends who have gone through recruitment at large schools like my new one and from recruitment threads on here I have tried my hardest to keep an open mind about every house! My new school is in a different state and I personally know none of the girls in the sororities, I have taken this as a good thing since I will truly be going in with an open mind! I also worked hard to find rec letters to give myself the best chance coming in as an unknown sophomore.

Rush starts in about a week I am very very excited to finally start this process for real. While I am going to try to keep my mind as open as possible there are a few houses I want to note before this thing gets rolling…

Merida is the only house from my old school that has a chapter at my new school! Some of my best friends from my last school are Merida’s and they have a really wonderful philanthropy. They are very big in the south but don’t seem to have as large a hold in my new area. The only ‘tent talk’ I have heard so far (I know! I should not listen) is that Cinderella and Aurora are the top houses on campus. From their Facebook pages I know that they are filled to the brim with stunningly gorgeous girls, but from the talk around campus I have also heard that they focus far more on beauty than on personality plus have the highest pledge drop rate. I am not sure how to feel about this information, but I really admire both their organizations nationally and am looking forward to meeting both of them. One of my dear friends who was a year ahead of me in school joined Rapunzel a couple years ago and has had the most amazing time! I was super excited when I learned my new school had a Rapunzel chapter and I have thought about how great it would be if my friend and I became sisters! Lastly, as a girl, the first sorority I knew of was Elsa. As an eight year old enamored with the idea of sisterhood, this house and their symbols were ingrained in my mind. Whenever I thought about what a sorority might be like, I tended to imagine myself as an Elsa. I don’t know what they are like at my new school, but I admit I have very high hopes for Elsa!

I am so excited to see how my recruitment goes!!

P.S. My posts will be staggered just in case! You never know who is reading this or what they will think of my journey.

Last edited by Allo; 08-11-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allo View Post
Hello! I have been lurking around the site for a few years now; learning as much as I could about recruitment, the different sororities and enjoying these recruitment stories. So now that I am going through, I have decided to share my own as it is happening! Well, mostly. I will be staggering these just incase someone in recruitment reads this and frowns upon it. My new school has nine sororities, and since I have a huge Disney lover I have decided to name the houses after some of my favorite Disney Princesses!

Snow White*
Cinderella
Aurora*
Belle*
Ariel*
Anna*
Rapunzel*
Merida*
Elsa*

* Denotes at least one rec letter

So first, some background about me! Sorry if I ramble on a tad, I feel like exposition is needed to pick up the story as it is happening now…

I am going through recruitment as a sophomore this year; I have transferred to a larger state school.

My first university did have sororities, and I was very excited about joining one! I was the girl that signed up on the first day registration opened in the fall and made note of every girl I saw around our miniature campus in letters. As the semester went on I was not enjoying my time at the school, it was too small! Smaller than my high school, I felt suffocated by the lack of people or things to do. On top of that my major program was not all I had hoped it would be. It was obvious by the time first semester ended that I needed to transfer to a larger school with a more established and respected program for my major. So I spent my Christmas break researching and applying for new schools.

When second semester began I was extremely torn– I had waited for years to go through recruitment but I didn’t want to join one of the four sororities on my campus and risk transferring to a school that didn’t have a chapter of my sorority, or had a chapter that I didn’t fit in with. I ended up going to the first night of recruitment but dropped the next morning when I finally made a decision. I wanted to have a chance to really be a part of my sorority, not to spend one semester as a new member before leaving and having to early alum. It was hard to drop and even harder to see my friends pledge without me. I know I made the right decision dropping and waiting for this year, but it didn’t make it any easier.

This summer I’ve gone practically dotty with excitement and I spent far too much time reading other peoples recruitment stories while fantasizing about what my own would be like. As per the advice I have received from friends who have gone through recruitment at large schools like my new one and from recruitment threads on here I have tried my hardest to keep an open mind about every house! My new school is in a different state and I personally know none of the girls in the sororities, I have taken this as a good thing since I will truly be going in with an open mind! I also worked hard to find rec letters to give myself the best chance coming in as an unknown sophomore.

Rush starts in about a week I am very very excited to finally start this process for real. While I am going to try to keep my mind as open as possible there are a few houses I want to note before this thing gets rolling…

Merida is the only house from my old school that has a chapter at my new school! Some of my best friends from my last school are Merida’s and they have a really wonderful philanthropy. They are very big in the south but don’t seem to have as large a hold in my new area. The only ‘tent talk’ I have heard so far (I know! I should not listen) is that Cinderella and Aurora are the top houses on campus. From their Facebook pages I know that they are filled to the brim with stunningly gorgeous girls, but from the talk around campus I have also heard that they focus far more on beauty than on personality plus have the highest pledge drop rate. I am not sure how to feel about this information, but I really admire both their organizations nationally and am looking forward to meeting both of them. One of my dear friends who was a year ahead of me in school joined Rapunzel a couple years ago and has had the most amazing time! I was super excited when I learned my new school had a Rapunzel chapter and I have thought about how great it would be if my friend and I became sisters! Lastly, as a girl, the first sorority I knew of was Elsa. As an eight year old enamored with the idea of sisterhood, this house and their symbols were ingrained in my mind. Whenever I thought about what a sorority might be like, I tended to imagine myself as an Elsa. I don’t know what they are like at my new school, but I admit I have very high hopes for Elsa!

I am so excited to see how my recruitment goes!!

P.S. My posts will be staggered just in case! You never know who is reading this or what they will think of my journey.
Regarding the bolded portion, you were wise to label this tent talk. This is the kind of "fact" that can really hurt chapters even if it is 100% false because it sounds scientific so it must be true. No one publishes pledge drop rates so it is rumor.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck Allo. I hope you have a great time and that all works out in the end. I am looking forward to your story.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck, Allo! I'm really excited for you
Old 08-22-2014, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck with recruitment. I'm gonna have to go for Ariel as The Little Mermaid is my all time favorite Disney movie!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-23-2014, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you for posting on a delayed basis - it really is better for you!

As for the princesses, I'll go for Snow White, since she was the basis for the Beatles' song Do You Want To Know A Secret?. Best of luck!
Old 08-23-2014, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quick Update! Recruitment is going well, I've gotten into the swing of things with the process. I'm excited to keep going! Thanks for the support!
Old 08-24-2014, 03:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh that's great to hear! Keep us updated I hope you find your home!
Old 08-24-2014, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Looking forward to reading more! Keep the story going.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Glad to hear it's going well! Keep your head up and an open mind!

(BTW, is your user name a reference to "Labyrinth?")
Old 08-26-2014, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Another update! Tonight is Pref and tomorrow is Bid Day!!!! Super excited. I have hit a bump tho, I have two classes, today and tomorrow that go until 6. Ive already discussed this with my Rho Gamma, but I am still a bit concerned about my schedule. Classes are just beginning and I don't want to be labeled a skipper before class even really starts, but I also don't want to mess up my recruitment or add more stress to it. I should be getting my party schedule any minute now, so fingers crossed!

Also, my username is not in reference to Labyrinth, but I do love the movie! I didnt even think of the connection!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

I hope that your schedule did not conflict with your class-I will go out on a limb and say that often professors won't keep students for the entire class period on the first few days, so maybe you will get lucky.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say don't skip class for Bid Day...get there late if there is a conflict. If the professor isn't Greek-friendly, or doesn't view a celebration party as a good excuse, that wouldn't be a good way to start the semester with your professor. Plus, the decision is made at that point, so you wouldn't be affecting the results.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

It's Over!

Bid Day has come and gone!! I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I will say that I am wearing a new shirt today! Under some advisement, I have decided to wait until next week to post my story. Just a precaution since I don't want to unintentionally upset anyone. So I will post it real time as it happened last week, next week!

I'm very excited to share my story with all of you!!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!

Will be looking forward to reading your story next week.