GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,144
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, dartyparty
» Online Users: 1,425
0 members and 1,425 guests
No Members online

Old 09-10-2009, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Illinois recruitment

Hi all,
I posted my recruitment story under this name a while ago, and I'm going to post my sisters under this name as well. I want to give as many details as I can, but I don't want to compromise her currently ongoing recruitment which is why I'm not going to post under my normal GC name!

Anyway a little background:

She's a freshman at U of I, played sports in high school, good grades, good looking, a little bit shy and unsure of if she'll find a place she fits in. She's been excited all summer for recruitment and it started last week. (I'm hoping to time this so I can make at least one post daily and then catch up with real time)

The schedule:

September 4: Open House
September 5: Open House
September 6: First Invitational
September 11: Second Invitational
September 12: Third Invitational
September 13: Bid Distribution and Sisterhood Day

The Code:
I’m not feeling very original and there are a lot of houses so I guess I’m just going to do colors and keep it simple!

Black
Grey
Brown
Navy Blue
Light Blue
Violet
Lavender
Hot Pink
baby pink
Red
maroon
hunter green
lime green
Yellow
Orange
turquoise
Salmon
beige
White

ETA:
my house is one of the above houses, I'm not going to mention which one. I did do paperwork for her but I know how much chapters can vary from campus to campus, and while it would be cool to be in the same sorority, I really wanted her to keep an open mind, and find her home .

Last edited by Blueink; 09-11-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-10-2009, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
WOO WOO WOO! Can't wait to read it! (Although, is there a way to get this moved out of "sorority recruitment" and into "recruitment stories"...?)
Old 09-11-2009, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
WOO WOO WOO! Can't wait to read it! (Although, is there a way to get this moved out of "sorority recruitment" and into "recruitment stories"...?)
Oops, sorry I was so excited to post it I didn't read carefully!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Open House Round 1

Open House Round 1
She visited 9 of the 19

Black- They started here, she mentioned this house gave them a nice little tour. She noted that the girls showing her around were super nice and very genuine. They seemed to be a pretty diverse house appearance wise; she thought this was a good thing. The house had beautiful rooms but she was a little unsure about the whole open air room thing. She thought that this would be one she would certainly put on her list of 13.

Grey- This house had a small performance; she called it adorable and original. She talked to several different girls, the first she noted was very nice and sociable she did a good job of keeping the conversation going when it started to get dull. She liked this houses appearance but thought the location might be a downside. She felt pretty good here and thought it would be one of her choices as well.

Brown- This is her roommate’s sister’s house. She noted it was beautiful outside, with a nice location. The performance here was okay. She talked with one girl who reminded her of someone back home. The conversation with this girl went well, the girl who joined them my sister connected with she noted that this girl reminded her a lot of herself. She liked this house a lot and thought they would be a top choice for her.

Navy Blue – She liked this house a lot. She thought the location was great, the girls she talked with were really nice and they talked a lot about tubing and other fun things. It was very laid back; she noted “maybe I fit in here the most?” She liked the diversity of this house a lot.

Light Blue- Beautiful house, loved the location, comfortable and beautiful rooms. The girl she liked a lot, they talked about The Fray and she was very excited about this house. I got the impression she really admired the girl she spoke with she mentioned “I see myself in a few years being like this girl.” She called it one of her favorite houses.

Violet- Beautiful outside, okay location. She made a note that she was startled a bit with all the chanting and banging, she called it “kind of weird” [ha ha ha gotta love recruitment]. She got the feeling these girls were being very fake, however she noted that many of the girls in her rush group loved this one, and it was the only one they wanted. She liked it but didn’t think she would fit in stating “I don’t know if I could handle this house”

Lavender- She liked this house from some of her research on the internet. Great location, the girls were very “uniformed and perfect” she said. She thought that she had had a solid conversation with them that felt natural. She left liking this house a lot.

Hot Pink- She noted not liking the rooms very much, felt the conversation was a little bit dull and the girl she was being rushed with did most of the talking. The hot pink they talked to seemed okay. She didn’t really like this house, but would be willing to visit again if it came to that.

baby pink- she didn’t think this house was very great, the specific girls she talked to were very down to earth but maybe a bit too “punky” for her. She noted that she didn’t like this house much at all.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

More please!!
Old 09-11-2009, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I always find it hilarious that with 19 or so houses down at Illinois, most of which are excellent chapters, PNMs still can only see themselves in ONE house.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's telling that she didn't like the last 2 houses. Of course, but sides are tired so conversation lags. We'll see how that pans out.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait to hear more, especially since I'm now at home sick and can't do recruitment...
Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Open house 2

Open House Round 2
She visited the final 10 of the 19

Red-
She loved the theme at this house, thinking it was adorable. She said the conversation was pretty normal just small talk etc. She really liked this house and said she had it as one of her 13 for sure.

Maroon- She noted having a really one-on-one great conversation with one of the girls, but mentioned that she felt drowned out by a lot of the noise, she wishes that they wouldn’t have been drowned out because she enjoyed the conversation. The location of this house seemed to be very good; however she had some concerns about fitting in with this house. She put it on her list though because she enjoyed the conversation and wanted to know more about them.

Hunter green – She mentioned that this house was beautiful, the location was okay. She got the vibe that some of these girls were pretty cocky, she felt the conversation was a little bit dull with lot’s of “sooooo…’s”

Lime green- She felt this house was okay, in her e-mail she noted not really remembering much about this house after the visit was over.

Yellow- She thought this house was beautiful, had some minor concerns over location but knew of many girls from our high school who were a part of this house. She noted not knowing if this was a good or bad thing as she knew of the girls, but none of them were people she knew really really well. She liked it, but didn’t know if she would fit in well.

Orange- She wasn’t very descriptive about orange in her e-mail stating she doesn’t remember much but she knew she would enjoy being a part of this house if given the opportunity.

Turquoise- The girls here were really bubbly but she felt they might be a tad to “princess-sy” for her to fit in. The house was beautiful, and she talked to one girl who was hilarious that she really liked. She mentioned putting this as one of her 13.

Salmon – She wasn’t very impressed with salmon, she said nothing really stood out to her. She got the impression that appearances were very important to these girls as they kept playing with their hair. Conversation was okay nothing great but nothing terrible.

Beige- She thought this house was gorgeous, concerns about location. She had heard some tent talk about this house and when she got there she said she didn’t see what she had heard. She did feel that the conversation was boring, and that they had trouble getting and keeping the conversation going. She was turned off by the fact that she did more to keep the conversation going than the beige girls did.

White- She noted that this house had an okay location, but the house itself was beautiful. She felt that she had had a solid conversation here.

I know by the end of this round she was feeling pretty overwhelmed and homesick. We chatted a bit about keeping an open mind, and staying positive. We also talked about how getting plugged in to something at college will help to ease homesickness and also make the transition easier etc.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Can't wait to hear more, especially since I'm now at home sick and can't do recruitment...
Oh no! That sucks. This is your first on the active side too right?

I will say I'm surprised that PNMs can even REMEMBER which chapter is which after seeing 19 chapters!

I went to a school with 6 chapters and PNMs still confused (for example) DG and DZ. I can't imagine a recruitment where like, 8 chapters start with the same letter. Oy.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-11-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Oh no! That sucks. This is your first on the active side too right?

It is. It's my first time and only time...so I'm pretty upset about not being there... Not to mention that today is philanthropy day and I made the video!!! I was so looking forward to see my work in action... Sigh...

Anyways, blueink, since you said that you wanted to catch up to real time, I believe you owe us first invite, since we second invite starts in 10 min...
Old 09-11-2009, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
19 sounds so freaking overwhelming!

Do they get notepads as they exit the houses for notetaking? lol. I would need something to keep them all straight. I remember with 7 everything blended into one. To this day I can't remember the second day of recruitment at all.

Sorry for the double post, I'm doing this from my iPod lol Yes, pnms get a notebook that has a page for each sorority. On that page is basic info, like colors, nickname, a pic of the house I think, the philanthropy... Etc. And then there's space for note taking!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

1st Invitational

Alright, so I do owe you guys another post to catch this up with real time!

1st Invitational
September 6th

They could be invited back to 13 I believe, she was invited to 8. Instead of looking at this like a bad thing she thought it was really nice because it would give her a nice break after the long weekend of

Yellow- She thought the skit was absolutely hilarious, she loved the house and the girls were all very nice. Overall she had a good time but is still a bit worried that knowing of the girls but not being very close to them in high school might hurt her.

Grey- She once again commented how she liked the diversity, nice girls but didn’t think they were the house for her.

Beige- She still felt like the conversations were dull here and that they weren’t very outgoing.

Red- This house has been deemed her favorite so far, she really liked the girls, felt like she could see herself here for sure.

Hot Pink- She mentioned not really liking this house the first time she visited, but the girls she talked to today were very different and she thought they were cool, fun and was glad to have been invited back to this one even though she had originally not liked them.

White- Apparently this house was very “chill” she mentioned that one of the recruitment chairs reminded her of one of our cousins and she liked her a lot. She thought the girls she talked to were very nice, but they weren’t as creative or original as some of the other houses.

Salmon- She thinks this house is very cute, “A little more princess than me but I could definitely have fun there.” She thought that it might be fun to get ready with these girls since they seemed into hair/makeup etc.

Navy Blue- She liked the diversity here as well, the navy blue she talked to was very genuine, sweet, and easy to talk to. She had a good conversation that came very easily.

If she had to put them in order after this round her order would be:

Red
Navy Blue
Yellow
Salmon
Hot Pink
White
Grey
Beige

But she mentioned honestly I could be happy at any of those, except for Beige. She said other than beige "I would be happy to have any of them, so I can’t complain." She’s glad to keep her options open and happy to have stuck with things even when she was feeling overwhelmed.

Last edited by Blueink; 09-11-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I just realized I had a dream about recruitment, but it obviously wasn't at my school. I dreamt I was going through recruitment at a big school, and after I got out of the party, I realized I had no idea what sorority it was because no one mentioned the name. Then I made a mental note that I would always say the name of my sorority if I made a speech during recruitment.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I did get an update, I got a call from her a little bit ago. Apparently they get 7 or something back for this round tonight, she has 5 I believe. Was a bit bummed not to see Red but we talked about who she had left, and she's keeping an open mind and has some really good feelings about what's left. I encouraged her to keep her game face on because you never know what's going to happen and opinions can change so quickly

Her list:

Navy Blue
Yellow
White
Grey
Beige

I'm hoping to have an update on how this round went tomorrow morning for you all!!