GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,078
2 members and 2,076 guests
Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaMay View Post
Oh! I'm loving your thread! It is exciting to see a woman of faith taking on this experience.
Me too!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-26-2015, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 1, part 2:

Luna: The girl who picked me up here was sweet, but conversation was definitely a little forced, even when other sisters came over. Overall it was a very average party. They are nice but not sure if I can see myself fitting in here.

Ginny: The girls are sweet, but it was the only house that faith did not come up. A girl I knew from work a couple years ago came up to me, but acted like she didn't remember me. Maybe she really didn't, but that would surprise me. That made the whole thing sort of awkward, and again, not sure if I see myself fitting here, but I would go back.

Hagrid: Oh my goodness!! My best friend picked me up at the door and I was not expecting that at all! I was so excited to see her and to meet some of her sisters. It was so nice to relax and not have to worry about impressing anyone, and to be able to really be myself. I had so much fun here.

Sirius: I am feeling very torn about this house. The reputation I heard did not match the girls I talked to at all, who I had tons in common with. I'll just have to weigh my experience with the advice given to me by close friends, and above all trust the Lord to guide me home.

Professor McGonagall: The girls here were sweet, but I was not overwhelmed the way I had been at Hagrid or at Neville. Also, the girl rushing me compared our conversation to hers with her big during recruitment, which majorly caught me off guard because I wasn't feeling quite as strongly. But, I would like to go back and get to know them better.

Dumbledore: I was surprised by how much fun I had here! Had such easy, natural conversation with the girl who rushed me. I would love to come back, but since I have no connections and they are legacy-heavy, I will understand if I am cut.

Y'all, I am having so much fun with recruitment!! Friends who went through at other SEC schools prepared me to be stressed, but I am having such a blast getting to meet all these new girls, who are all so friendly. I can't wait for the next round.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh yeah, I ranked:
1. Hagrid
1. Neville
1. Ron
1. Hermione
1. Uncle Vernon
1. Dumbledore
1. Professor McGonagall
1. Aunt Petunia
1. Sirius

1. Luna
2. Ginny
3. Harry
Old 08-26-2015, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm routing for Hermione since she is my favorite character. Love your story!
Old 08-27-2015, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Hope you are having fun!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Do people actually talk about Jesus that much at recruitment parties? Or is this like a Bob Jones University type place where God talk is expected/encouraged? Just seems very strange to me that the conversations in first round are all so religiously focused, and I went to school in the very buckle of the Bible Belt.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Do people actually talk about Jesus that much at recruitment parties? Or is this like a Bob Jones University type place where God talk is expected/encouraged? Just seems very strange to me that the conversations in first round are all so religiously focused, and I went to school in the very buckle of the Bible Belt.
If she had a lot of church-centered activities on her resume, she was probably paired with like-minded girls in the chapters.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
It was actually something I brought up myself, but my university is pretty conservative with many people (especially sorority women) of faith. Christ-centered community is what I really want out of my sisterhood, so I wanted to make sure they knew that right off the bat! Almost every girl I spoke with responded really positively.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay ladies, who's ready for Round 2? My rho gammas warned us not to be disappointed because many girls would not have full schedules, but I was so excited to see 9 houses (the maximum) on my list! They were:

Hagrid
Hermione
Neville
Ron
Aunt Petunia
Ginny
Harry
Uncle Vernon
Professor McGonagall

I was scheduled to go to 6 the first day, and 3 the next.

So, I had been cut by Dumbledore and Sirius kind of like I expected, and it looks like the feelings between me and Luna were mutual, because Ginny and Harry were back on my list. But, I went in with a positive attitude to love the houses that were on my schedule, including my 4 favorites!

Hagrid: I had a blast at this house! It's full of genuine and kind girls who have huge hearts for their philanthropy, which really hit home for me and I even teared up a little. I can really see myself being able to get involved here. I always feel so welcome and loved in this house. Couldn't help but notice one of my favorite verses on the wall, which according to the girl who rushed me, is very important to their sisterhood!

Hermione: The girls were nice, but seemed somewhat disinterested in me at first. Their philanthropy is awesome, but I don't really personally connect to it. I can see how strong their sisterhood is but I'm not sure if I feel as attached here.

Neville: We actually had to sit in this house for some extra time today because of rain, which was neat because we got to see even more of the heart of these girls, and they are so service-hearted! I really don't have words for the connection I felt here. I feel really passionate about their philanthropy and I had a total emotional moment with 2 girls rushing me about the christian camp I work for! Really love these girls.

Ron: I was really surprised to be invited back here, due to my lack of connections. Their song skit to introduce their philanthropy was really cute and fun. The girls are sweet and we had lots in common, but they're not as bubbly or enthusiastic as other houses, so I can't tell if they're interested in me. Would like to go back to get to know them better.

Aunt Petunia: Everything just feels really rehearsed here. It's not a bad thing, it just doesn't feel as genuine to me. It took a while to warm up to them, but their philanthropy is nice and the girl I spoke with was cool. I would go back and get to know them better but I don't think I connect with the whole house.

Ginny: Again, just didn't really click here. They somewhat shied away from mention of faith, which is fine, just not for me. I felt like I was being sold on something here, and was put on the spot a couple times as if I was being interviewed, not like a conversation. The girls are nice but just not for me.

I feel like I've already found 2 houses that could be home, and realized where I'm not comfortable, and maybe it's too early for that, but I'm really loving recruitment so far!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

So exciting! I can't wait to hear more!

Be a Volunteer!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy96 View Post
It was actually something I brought up myself, but my university is pretty conservative with many people (especially sorority women) of faith. Christ-centered community is what I really want out of my sisterhood, so I wanted to make sure they knew that right off the bat! Almost every girl I spoke with responded really positively.
I'm really glad you clarified this. If I had met women at a house that told me out of the blue that they were praying for me to find the right home, I'd be very turned off by that house and to a degree, sorority life in general!
Old 08-28-2015, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Me too, but does go to show that you should consider the rules guidelines. The example I always go back to is the conversation I had about funerals. With a girl who was a mortuary science major. So, you know, not at all weird, morbid, depressing to her. It was just major talk.

The problem with it, however, is that except in the smallest of chapters there is a wide range of girls and the conversation that drops like a stone with one girl could be the dream conversation with another. Presumably she treaded gently into those conversations and responded accordingly. Gotta know your audience.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

We were always advised to avoid conversations centered around the "Three B's"...Boys, Booze and Bible!

Enjoying this story very much! I think this pnm will find her home!
Old 08-28-2015, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOwl View Post
We were always advised to avoid conversations centered around the "Three B's"...Boys, Booze and Bible!

Enjoying this story very much! I think this pnm will find her home!
Thanks for y'all's confidence! As 33girl suggested, I probably was intentionally paired with religious girls. And like DubaiSis said, I definitely brought it up casually and dropped it if they weren't interested. But I must say, God has totally had His hand on this process! I've genuinely enjoyed my time in almost every house, even if some feel more like home than others, and I've had awesome conversations everywhere! Bid day is tomorrow (I'm posting 2 days delayed) and I am so excited to see where I end up!
Old 08-28-2015, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, at least at my school, the actives aren't supposed to bring it up, but if PNM's do then they are welcome to talk about it.
Closed Thread