GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,352
0 members and 2,352 guests
No Members online

Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Cost of Greek life in SEC.

Hi all, i will either be attending Alabama or Ole Miss next year and I am very interested in joining a fraternity, but I have a few questions. What is the cost per semester/year if your in a top or middle tier fraternity at either of these schools? Also being from out of state how will that effect my chances of getting a bid?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Reputations/Tiers are not discussed on Greek Chat.

We live for each other.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

One of my son's has three friends at Ole Miss (all out-of-state) and they pledged fraternities. The same goes for my neighbor's son and he was also a sophomore. These guys all pledged fall 2011. This past fall, two of my neighbors have sons who pledged at Ole Miss. Tiers aren't discussed at Greek Chat, but all six of these out-of-state guys joined very large, strong houses. BAMA is a popular choice for many in my community and quite a few pledge, so out-of-state does not appear to be an issue there at least in some fraternities. Sorry, I don't know specifics on costs. Good luck to you!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

You could try contacting the Greek life office at the schools you are interested in and ask if they can give you an idea what the high and low fraternity semester costs.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
You could try contacting the Greek life office at the schools you are interested in and ask if they can give you an idea what the high and low fraternity semester costs.
Ask them for it in this ^ way - don't ask for the "average" cost. Ask what the highest priced fraternity's cost is, and if you can't afford it, you need to rethink Greek life.

Note: Popularity of chapter on campus may or may not correlate with expense. I.E., don't automatically assume the most expensive one is the most popular or vice versa.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball7 View Post
Hi all, i will either be attending Alabama or Ole Miss next year and I am very interested in joining a fraternity, but I have a few questions. What is the cost per semester/year if your in a top or middle tier fraternity at either of these schools? Also being from out of state how will that effect my chances of getting a bid?
Probably good for a year at 3k a year not including housing and depending on school/fraternity.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke