GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 311,240
Threads: 115,191
Welcome to our newest member, abradasulze9507

Old 12-31-2008, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

33Girl, I apologize for continuing the shortened new member period conversation here, but. . .

and as always, I want to make clear that I have no formal position in my group other than being an alumna.

Here's my deal about shortened new member periods: I do think that when the new member period was direct instruction and little assessments about knowledge of the group or required projects and you had to make grades, it build a sense of anticipation about initiation. It reflected the idea of initiation as we probably really think of initiation generally (assuming you think about the word "initiation" ever): a sort of transformational ceremony at which because you had acquired the required knowledge or demonstrated your worthiness, you became a full member of a group and gained any knowledge that members had to be a full participant within that body.

I don't know how accurate our perceptions were, but you had a sense that there were hard and fast requirements about what you had to do to be eligible to be initiated and they required that you demonstrate traits rather than merely showing up at required meetings and going through the motions. (And by showing up and going through the motions, I mean the difference in participating in a learning activity for the fun of it vs. the sense that if you fail your membership test, you won't get initiated.)

While most of us, I think, accept that because hazing was a real issue at some chapters that the idea of proving your worthiness had to be diminished in importance, I wonder if a process that includes un-initiated members into more things previously reserved for full members (like chapter) and that reduces or even eliminates the previous "requirements" for initiation, allows people to value being initiated as much as the old system.

I think most of us see anticipation as heightening positive experiences generally. Think about little kids and Christmas. Would they get as much out of their presents and toys if they were just there one day when they came home from school. Or maybe more seriously, with the idea of religious seasons at church thorough the year. Does the season of Advent make the celebration of Christmas better? Does observing Lent heighten your awareness of Easter?

I'm not trying to equate Greek membership with religion sincerely, but my point is that it kind of makes sense that a reduction in the things that build anticipation for initiation might make initiation less special and less valued.

Sure, I can see that you probably don't remember your pledge test material any better 20 years later than if you had learned it after initiation and I even doubt that this anticipation would necessarily make you more likely to stick around for senior year, but I just think that the once in a lifetime experience of being initiated is that much more spectacular the more you've looked forward to and anticipated it.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Back to release figures...

As someone recently initiated, I am a product of the new release figures, and would like to add my two cents. While I did not suffer incredibly heavy cuts, I am glad that release figures gave me far smaller of a pool of sororities to choose from. Because I was cut from some chapters I loved early on, I was forced to look at other chapters I might have no considered. From those chapters, I fell in love with my current chapter, and I might not have been as happy as I am in Gamma Phi Beta had the old system before RFM been in place.

So, while I only know of the other system from comparisons and not experience, I do know that I would be far more devastated being dropped before pref than right at the get go. After what I have learned from former methods, I am almost sure I may not have preffed the three great houses I did pref, and I'd rather have gotten over cuts early on and been happy with my later choices than the other way around.

As for the notion that some PNMs may be forced to attend some houses bid day, I did not see that in my recruitment to a great extent. I did, however, see many girls in the same situation as me...who had been cut early on and grew to love the houses they have left. And its done wonders for the smaller houses on campus.

Of course, there will still be people who drop out because of their choices. I know I'm pretty unsympathetic on the subject, I think thats a silly thing to do, because a house may have seen something in your where you would fit into their house. I know the system is not perfect, its not. But while the new RFM may cause the closed minded people to drop out, I think thats fine with me. At the risk of being less than politically correct, if they can't open themselves up to the wonderful oppertunities each and every sorority has to offer, I don't really want those pnms in the greek system

Last edited by GammaPhi88; 12-31-2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Typos are just not what us classy Gamma Phis should have
Old 12-31-2008, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Sort of random, but I was reading something recently about how people do better and feel better about their decisions when they have fewer options available. (The post above mine made me think about it.)

It's possible that the shift to making PNMS rank the groups and then their getting party lists with only invites to the maximum number of parties on it (which isn't technically part of the release figures, but I think makes them work better, right?) may be a good thing in itself. I would think that ranking would be less like a final decision than having to actually accept and regret.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 View Post
Because I was cut from some chapters I loved early on, I was forced to look at other chapters I might have no considered. From those chapters, I fell in love with my current chapter, and I might not have been as happy as I am in Gamma Phi Beta had the old system before RFM been in place.

Of course, there will still be people who drop out because of their choices. I know I'm pretty unsympathetic on the subject, I think thats a silly thing to do, because a house may have seen something in your where you would fit into their house. I know the system is not perfect, its not. But while the new RFM may cause the closed minded people to drop out, I think thats fine with me. At the risk of being less than politically correct, if they can't open themselves up to the wonderful oppertunities each and every sorority has to offer, I don't really want those pnms in the greek system
I agree.

I have no experience with either system, but I do know 18-year-old girls. A good portion of them will never visit Greekchat (how sad) and they'll never know that they should keep an open mind. They'll have their eyes on a few sororities (or one!) and they won't receive a bid. If that happens after the first party and they drop out, then they weren't meant for sorority life anyway. If you string them along for 3 recruitment parties, knowing that they won't receive a bid from your sorority, you're setting them up for a huge disappointment, and I would understand them dropping out just a little bit more. I can't imagine it feels great to get cut heavily after the first round, but imagine going to 3 or 4 parties, really getting to know a chapter, and then not being invited back for preference. I understand that can still happen, but it wouldn't be to such a great extent.

And while these PNMs are striving to get bids to their one or two favorite chapters, there's a very good chance they'd be ignoring the other chapters that invited them back. No matter how many other girls were still with you at the party before prefs, as a PNM, you'd probably still think you had a very good chance. As GammaPhi88 pointed out, this system allowed her to focus on the groups that truly wanted her. In the long run, I'm sure that a lot of people would prefer to know the places where they truly had a chance earlier rather than later... no matter how disappointing it might be.

In addition, there are schools with a ridiculous number of sororities. I can't imagine having to go to 15+ parties for the first round. But imagine having to do that for the next few parties, also. With these release figures, it gives the PNMs more time to know the sisters, and vice versa, without having a crazy amount of PNMs there during each round.

And IMO, the old system would waste recruitment time. In a formal recruitment setting, you only have so much time to meet and talk to PNMs. Why, as a sister, would you want to be there during round 3, talking to a PNM that you know won't be wearing your letters on bid day?

@~/~~~~
Old 12-31-2008, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
My campus started using the RFM in my senior year. There were some pros and cons to it. Overall, I feel as though they work well.
I think many of the problems in the beginning were mainly due to chapters misunderstanding the way RFM works. For the most part, many greeks have no real concept of how bid matching works in the first place, so making changes like RFM can be very confusing. I also think that it shocked the "better" chapters who finally realized that they actually will have to work for their NMs since they can't just string along a list of girls to fill in the gaps for PNMs who get away! I know of many anecdotal stories of chapters missing quota who had never missed it before. I think that sometimes these chapters think they suddenly should be ever more selective and not keep all of the girls they can when in the past, they willingly kept tons of girls that would never get a bid. It's just a new game, and chapters are slowly learning how to play it! One of the hardest parts is realizing that your chapter and every chapter that competes with you probably has the same group of girls attending parties....only one group can get a girl, so their chances of filling quota drop significantly. If one top chapter wants a girl, there is a high likelihood that other top chapters do, too.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-31-2008, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
One of the hardest parts is realizing that your chapter and every chapter that competes with you probably has the same group of girls attending parties....only one group can get a girl, so their chances of filling quota drop significantly. If one top chapter wants a girl, there is a high likelihood that other top chapters do, too.
This is really true, but it's also worth remembering and promoting that at many campuses almost all groups are still making quota.

I think the idea that release figures make it harder for the "better" chapters is one of the reasons that more people haven't been that happy with them, and that's why I think it's so important that we remember that at many places quota is as big as ever and that groups are eligible for quota additions. So, there's a reward to the top groups too even if it's a little harder than it used to be to pick the exact right girls.

And really wasn't one of the biggest problems getting the right data and the groups to follow it? It probably took a number of years before it could be said with any accuracy how many any group needed to invite back to really end up with quota. The perceptions of some chapters popularity may have always been a little different than the numerical reality.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I personally think the most important determining factor is the new member education program itself, whether it is 6 weeks or 6 months. Also, don't discount the examples set by actives and alumnae. New members are more likely to believe in lifetime membership if that's what they see around them.
This is my position. The shortened new member period seems here to stay, but from what I have seen, a new and improved program that takes into consideration this shorter period has not surfaced within my GLO. Add to that, much larger pledge classes and activity restrictions (read: no testing of pledge material, for example) and it makes for woefully disinfranchised new members.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 View Post
Back to release figures...

As someone recently initiated, I am a product of the new release figures, and would like to add my two cents. While I did not suffer incredibly heavy cuts, I am glad that release figures gave me far smaller of a pool of sororities to choose from. Because I was cut from some chapters I loved early on, I was forced to look at other chapters I might have no considered. From those chapters, I fell in love with my current chapter, and I might not have been as happy as I am in Gamma Phi Beta had the old system before RFM been in place.

So, while I only know of the other system from comparisons and not experience, I do know that I would be far more devastated being dropped before pref than right at the get go. After what I have learned from former methods, I am almost sure I may not have preffed the three great houses I did pref, and I'd rather have gotten over cuts early on and been happy with my later choices than the other way around.

As for the notion that some PNMs may be forced to attend some houses bid day, I did not see that in my recruitment to a great extent. I did, however, see many girls in the same situation as me...who had been cut early on and grew to love the houses they have left. And its done wonders for the smaller houses on campus.

We pretty much feel the same way. Better to be released from chapters early, than led on and be left with no house because of being unable to see the forest for the trees, blidners, insert metaphor or cliche here.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

One advantage to the old system is that from a PNM's point of view, you felt like each chapter was giving you a fair chance if they invited you back to the second or third round (whether they were actively considering you or not -- a PNM would have no way of knowing.) If a chapter dropped you after the third round, you could at least say, "Well, I met quite a number of the sorority's sisters, and for whatever reason they felt that I would not be a good fit." The perception of fairness was there, and PNM's were still able to meet, and form perceptions of the chapters that might eventually become their homes.

Under the new system, PNM's are more likely to receive heavy cuts early on. If a girl was cut from the majority of the chapters after the first round (as might happen in a very competitive rush,) I don't think I would blame her for being soured on the whole process. PNM's are always told to keep an open mind, but if a girl receives heavy cuts early on, her *perception* is that the chapters are not keeping an open mind about her. The process of recruitment becomes that much more confusing and painful for her. She might be forgiven if she never gave the few chapters which invited her back a second chance. If a PNM feels completely out of control of what seems to be an incomprehensible recruitment process, the quickest way for her to regain control is to drop out.

I'm not writing this to knock the new system, which I think has many virtues. I'm just not convinced that it presents the sorority system as a whole in the best possible light to PNM's.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Blue Skies, I can totally see what you are saying and as a formal rush drop out myself, I agree with your assessment to some degree and can remember saying to someone at the time that I didn't feel any particular gratitude to the groups that cut me early.

BUT, I think it works better systematically for the groups to cut girls they really aren't serious about early on. It's better for the chapters to know who is willing to continue with the process even when they know who is really in the running than it is for them to get word only on pref day that many of their PNMs dropped.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
ForeverRoses,

We pledged the same year, but my experience was far from chaotic as you described. We had plenty of time to get everything done and didn't get Big Sisters until week 3. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) Homecoming was not a huge event at my school...I made our Homecoming "card" with three initiated sisters one afternoon in the dorm. My sister who had been intiated in the last full semester class in my chapter couldn't detect any real differences between my new member training and her pledge training except for a longer waiting period. We had a few people from the earlier classes complain that we hadn't "earned" our letters, but they were quickly drowned out by the sisters who were determined to make it a successful and meaningful experience for the NMs. As for Thetagirl218, I can imagine that the NM time seems short to you, but also remember that your colonizing class had many more responsibilities for setting up your chapter as well as learning the history of Theta. You could never have done all of that in just 6 weeks!
Actually, I think I am a bit older than you - my chapter was one of the test chapters for Bridges, which is another reason for it being so chaotic. Several things changed the next year (like bigs being assigned on bid day). I don't think the NM period should go back to 11 weeks, but 8 would have been better.

As for the new release method- I like the idea of chapters not stringing along PNMs. However, I think it does need to be explained better to the PNMs (and even the chapter members!)

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I'm not writing this to knock the new system, which I think has many virtues. I'm just not convinced that it presents the sorority system as a whole in the best possible light to PNM's.
It might not be the BEST light, but it is probably a truer light.

I mean, there are some chapters that have their pledge class picked out before rush even starts and barring some unforseen circumstances no one else has a snowball's chance in hell of getting a bid there. That's just the way it is and while it is daunting to the psyche, better to get daunted then to go through your whole college career (and then some) convincing yourself you were THISCLOSE to getting a bid at XYZ when you weren't anywhere near it.

I had a couple sisters who I think basically convinced themselves that if they would have held out for another semester, that a certain (more prestigious) sorority would have bid them. The fact of the matter is - NO THEY WOULDN'T HAVE. Maybe that's hard for them to accept, but knowing that group I know it is the truth.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That's just the way it is and while it is daunting to the psyche, better to get daunted then to go through your whole college career (and then some) convincing yourself you were THISCLOSE to getting a bid at XYZ when you weren't anywhere near it.

Maybe that's hard for them to accept, but knowing that group I know it is the truth.
I agree. The RFM is designed to make the larger chapters really think about their invites as opposed to inviting a bunch of girls whom they have no intention of bidding (or are really on the fence about). They make cuts earlier on, but I think it is much better for a PNM to be released by a group on day 1 or 2, as opposed to RIGHT before pref.

Some say the cuts are harsh, but such is life. It's a good lesson for PNMs to learn. It helps them to see that recruitment isn't OVER just because they don't get invites to the places they want.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-02-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I had a couple sisters who I think basically convinced themselves that if they would have held out for another semester, that a certain (more prestigious) sorority would have bid them. The fact of the matter is - NO THEY WOULDN'T HAVE. Maybe that's hard for them to accept, but knowing that group I know it is the truth.
This still happens. I cannot understand how they get this idea...especially since most of those girls were cut Day 1 or 2 by that group.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I appreciate that heavy cuts are made early on. To a PNM, though, it seems very unfair to be cut from a chapter after only talking to to a few active members for 25 minutes. At a certain chapter, I only met ONE member during open house (I don't know if their bump system got messed up or if that's just how they did things). So when that chapter cut me right after the first round, I didn't feel like they gave me a fair shot.

It would be great if there were no cuts until after the second round. If the PNM spends more like an hour there and meets 2-6 active members, she feels like she got a fair shake at each house and probably gets a better feel for how she wants to rank each chapter. But the logistics of this at a large school would be a nightmare. My school has 13 chapters and spends 2 full days on open house as it is!