GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,194
1 members and 1,193 guests
g41965

Old 10-20-2017, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

We talked about that many years ago--how the sororities would sit down and say, "We'll take the ho if you'll take the girl with the 1.5." Etc. And you know it would come down to that.

I don't see how a college, private or not, can force an NPC sorority to take someone whom they don't want to.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:02 PM

If they want that sort of system, they probably should never have allowed national groups to come back on in the first place. Was there any sort of Greek life or club system in the 80-odd years between when national groups left and when they returned?
Old 10-20-2017, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
In NPC-land, once a PNM gets a bid, that's it - unless she chooses to depledge, she's getting initiated. Chapters can't release new members.
Ehhhhh. It may be rare but if there's cause to do so....

Unless you're just talking about for no reason?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
1) Even if she listed another she won't be on their bid list so they can't "match" her to them.
2) See above. Typically,unless something really bizarre comes up at pref, pref invitees are on the bid list - somewhere. Maybe at the bottom but on it.. All this is going to do is skew quota but Belmont's recruitment isn't that big anyway.
3) Now this is stupid. She won't be on anyone's bid list nor invite list. Don't you think PH could figure that out????
I'm trying to think of ways a PNM might try to game the system. "I was cut before pref, I filled out an MRABA and listed two chapters, I followed the rules, I'm guaranteed a bid, and I want my bid, dammit!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
We talked about that many years ago--how the sororities would sit down and say, "We'll take the ho if you'll take the girl with the 1.5." Etc. And you know it would come down to that.
Well, the girl with the 1.5 would be cut, or wouldn't be allowed to register for recruitment in the first place. The rules do state that the PNMs must meet GPA requirements in order to be considered for that "guaranteed bid".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
Ehhhhh. It may be rare but if there's cause to do so....

Unless you're just talking about for no reason?
I'm talking about for no reason or for a minor reason. If a chapter finds out one of their NMs is an ax murderer, I'm sure they could have a chat with nationals about making her depledge.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Belmont's recruitment isn't that big relative to, say, big SEC schools, but I believe quota has been in the high 70s for them the past couple years. .
I meant so there would not be that many women to whom this even could apply.

But seriously,folks, how many PNMs do you know of this year who maximized their options and got NO bid? Precious few, if any. So these rules are not awful. Just saying what I've always told my chapters - do not invite her to pref if you aren't willing to give her a bid.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just saying what I've always told my chapters - do not invite her to pref if you aren't willing to give her a bid.
Ok, so that's the thing. Girls would be released from the chapter but show back up on the invite list the next day. It's not a matter of don't invite her - it's a matter of not inviting her and it not mattering.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But seriously,folks, how many PNMs do you know of this year who maximized their options and got NO bid? Precious few, if any. So these rules are not awful. Just saying what I've always told my chapters - do not invite her to pref if you aren't willing to give her a bid.
I think there were PLENTY of women who were dropped from recruitment prior to pref on many, many campi. This rule at Belmont is saying that PNMs cannot be dropped from recruitment, if I am reading this correctly.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I meant so there would not be that many women to whom this even could apply.

This past year I have heard many girls declare that they were dropped from recruitment. Upon further investigation they admit they actually did have invitations and could have continued, but didn't like their choices and withdrew from recruitment. They considered themselves dropped because their top choices had not invited them back. Playing the victim card instead of owning their decisions.

Since RFM was implemented most PNMs who see the process through to bid signing receive a bid.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I think there were PLENTY of women who were dropped from recruitment prior to pref on many, many campi. This rule at Belmont is saying that PNMs cannot be dropped from recruitment, if I am reading this correctly.
No, that is not what it says. It says you have to attend all formal recruitment events and then you will get a bid. If you don't attend them all,you are not eligible. Note it actually says "to be eligible" you have to have all the listed requirements. I don't see what people are getting in an uproar over.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Because a PNM could be a skank ho, drama queen, or terminal weirdo (see "Weird Rush Stories" and walk right into your chapter!
Old 10-21-2017, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Because a PNM could be a skank ho, drama queen, or terminal weirdo (see "Weird Rush Stories" and walk right into your chapter!
Well, that happens anyway in spite of our best efforts!
Old 10-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Sure but can you imagine one of them getting pushed into your chapter, although you cut her because you knew what she was?

Shorter had forced bidding one year. I can't begin to tell you what all happened as a result.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

The key clause under the eligibility requirements appears to be that for the MRABA. Yes, a PNM could be dropped by all chapters but, absent a MRABA (properly completed), the PNM lacks eligibility for a bid.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
So everyone gets a bid. Doesn't mean they won't get cut before initiation.

p a w e a since 1899