GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,152
1 members and 1,151 guests
No Members online

Old 11-11-2013, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Ways to take attendance at chapter?

How does everyone take attendance at chapter meetings? Our chapter is about 300 girls and it takes FOREVER. Hopefully someone has an idea or already does something that can make taking attendance more efficient! Thanks y'all!
Old 11-11-2013, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

the largest chapter meeting I ever attended had about 210 and they actually called roll! I was surprised that it didn't take any longer than it did,
Old 11-11-2013, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

We have one representative from each pledge class take attendance while we're lined up outside (we file in by pledge class in alphabetical order), then the executive assistant calls the names of the girls that weren't there before during unfinished business after the officer reports.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter has taken roll three different ways:
1) Every girl had to check in with the secretary or one of her assistants before or after chapter.
2) The secretary wrote everyone's name on a sticky note and stuck it to a posterboard. Everyone had to remove the sticky note with their name in order to be counted as present.
3) Every girl had to write their name on a dollar (!!) and turn it in. All money went to our philanthropy.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteviolet View Post
My chapter has taken roll three different ways:
(snipped)
3) Every girl had to write their name on a dollar (!!) and turn it in. All money went to our philanthropy.
I really like this way!

Just for kicks, how we did it at my school (Total was 55) was the Secretary calling out the names, and each sister had to respond with the name of another chapter. The favorite one to use (but is no longer active) was "Alpha Delta, Colby College, Waterville, Maine" which for some strange reason we all said, using a country-style accent. I know, weird.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter (over 300 girls) uses student IDs to check in. The chapter has everyone's student ID # and their name so they know who we are. The VP Communications (who's in charge of attendance) has several card swipers. They plug in to a laptop in the USB port. Her committee members bring their laptops and swipe everyone in before chapter. It's really easy and convenient. I'm assuming it connects to a document of some sort that creates a list of who was there. We just hand them our student ID card and they swipe us in! The card swipers are pretty common at my school for taking attendance, I've had to swipe in for class events in the past and a required career fair.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

300+ members?! I can't wrap my head around that.

I would've never joined a fraternity with that many members; too overwhelming. While I assume most of those girls don't live in the house, 300 was the size of my high school graduating class - and I wouldn't want to attend chapter meetings or formals with that many people.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
300+ members?! I can't wrap my head around that.

I would've never joined a fraternity with that many members; too overwhelming. While I assume most of those girls don't live in the house, 300 was the size of my high school graduating class - and I wouldn't want to attend chapter meetings or formals with that many people.
Tis sorority life in the SEC! Only 70ish of us live in house and I believe it's a similar number in other houses at my school.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

We had the assistant Secretary (this was in the stone ages) sit up a little higher than the rest of the chapter (on a countertop on the side of the chapter room) and she checked off people as she saw them. THEN...at the end...she called names of the people she didn't see there. Less names to call out! Chapter size about 200.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

We had someone standing at the door to get into chapter as we filed individually in alphabetical order. If she got overwhelmed, we paused until she was finished...but by a few weeks of the new person doing it, you'd be set to go
Old 11-11-2013, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sure there is a scanner/barcode system out there set up for attendance for large orgs. Either one could swipe a card or have the person in charge of role use a hand-held scanner. Not a terrible one-time investment.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
I am sure there is a scanner/barcode system out there set up for attendance for large orgs. Either one could swipe a card or have the person in charge of role use a hand-held scanner. Not a terrible one-time investment.
The Grand Lodge of Idaho has barcodes on our dues cards, and if you don't have a good bar code, you can't get into Grand Lodge. If a bunch of old men can figure it out, it should be workable for a group of college women.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

What if each sister had a card with their name on it and someone collected it at the door as each sister
entered? Then you could later match this against the roster. Of course, the person collecting the cards would need to make sure each sister only turned in one card. Or could you have a seating chart and visually match that at chapter to see what seats were empty and who was absent?
Old 11-11-2013, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
What if each sister had a card with their name on it and someone collected it at the door as each sister
entered? Then you could later match this against the roster.
Of course, the person collecting the cards would need to make sure each sister only turned in one card. Or could you have a seating chart and visually match that at chapter to see what seats were empty and who was absent?
This is actually how my college panhellenic checked party attendance during formal recruitment--for each party, you had to give a card with your name on it into a basket at the door, and that was how they ensured you attended all of your parties
Old 11-11-2013, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl10 View Post
This is actually how my college panhellenic checked party attendance during formal recruitment--for each party, you had to give a card with your name on it into a basket at the door, and that was how they ensured you attended all of your parties
This was something like what we did at Clemson-you got a bunch of pieces of paper, then wrote your name and recruitment number on them. I imagine it also helped the actives remember who they had talked to at the end of the night.