GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,447
3 members and 2,444 guests
Cookiez17, navane
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Transwomen and rush.

I don't believe that all of the NPC have the same policies on Transwomen, does anyone have information on how Rush works when an applicant can be admitted to some of the sororities and can not be admitted to others?

(My *guess* was that as of 1990, that the NPC sororities all had the same admission requirements in that regards, I have no idea how far back you would have to go before you had religious or racial differences admission requirements among the NPC members, 1960s?)
Old 10-14-2022, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

I guess they go to the parties but get cut by those groups.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Edited...
(...I have no idea how far back you would have to go before you had religious or racial differences admission requirements among the NPC members, 1960s?)
I'm not clear on precisely what you are asking. Some NPC groups initiated Asians and/or Blacks during the 1950s.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't believe that all of the NPC have the same policies on Transwomen, does anyone have information on how Rush works when an applicant can be admitted to some of the sororities and can not be admitted to others?

(My *guess* was that as of 1990, that the NPC sororities all had the same admission requirements in that regards, I have no idea how far back you would have to go before you had religious or racial differences admission requirements among the NPC members, 1960s?)
Why are you asking about Membership Selection? What is your interest, exactly? Enlighten me (and others, I suspect).

FYI, recruitment, not rush, is the term you want to use. Please. Thank you.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-27-2022, 06:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Why don't you look up recruiitment information for various campuses? Such as Alabama which has their Greek Chic booklet online??????? Or the membership section of the 26 NPC groups' websites? It's out there for you.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not interested for this for which of the 26 allow Transwomen, I'm interested in how a local Panhellenic would deal with the situation where a subset of those going through recruitment are allowed to be members of some sororities and not allowed to be members of other sororities. Today, that issue would cover Transwomen, I think it has been many years since it was true about something else.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Not hard to find...

Many national organizations have created LGBT-inclusive membership policies. In the National Panhellenic Conference, Delta Phi Epsilon is explicitly open to trans and non-binary individuals,[2] and sororities open to any individual who identifies as a woman include: Alpha Chi Omega,[3] Alpha Delta Pi,[4] Alpha Epsilon Phi,[5] Alpha Omicron Pi,[6] Alpha Sigma Tau,[7] Chi Omega,[8] Delta Gamma,[9] Gamma Phi Beta,[10] Kappa Alpha Theta,[11] Kappa Delta,[12] Kappa Kappa Gamma,[13] Phi Sigma Sigma,[14] Sigma Sigma Sigma,[15] and Theta Phi Alpha.[16] Sororities open to any individual who identifies and lives as a woman include: Alpha Gamma Delta,[17] Alpha Xi Delta,[18] Delta Delta Delta,[19] Pi Beta Phi,[20] Sigma Delta Tau,[21] and Sigma Kappa,[22] while Zeta Tau Alpha specifies that the individual must "consistently" identify and live as a woman.[23]

Never mind the source numbers...just copied.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I assume it would work in a similar way to grade cuts - the women still go to the parties, but are not invited to further rounds if they do not make grades for the chapter - or in this case, do not qualify for membership in a certain organization.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevinpiphi View Post
I assume it would work in a similar way to grade cuts - the women still go to the parties, but are not invited to further rounds if they do not make grades for the chapter - or in this case, do not qualify for membership in a certain organization.
Dumb question - how would they know? They'd have to either ask or surmise. Surmising could lead to all kinds of stereotypical reactions.

I ask this because I have an acquaintance with whom I've had several long discussions. To look at her, one would immediately think trans woman, but she has mentioned to me more than once hormonal issues she's had throughout her life. I certainly would not dream of asking.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

It all comes down to if they like someone.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm not interested for this for which of the 26 allow Transwomen, I'm interested in how a local Panhellenic would deal with the situation where a subset of those going through recruitment are allowed to be members of some sororities and not allowed to be members of other sororities. Today, that issue would cover Transwomen, I think it has been many years since it was true about something else.
It’s been true for grades for decades. Some sororities have higher grade requirements to pledge than others. Local Panhellenics put disclaimers that state Panhellenic policy and state that individual chapters may have different requirements.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Each sorority has national membership requirements. Neither NPC nor the local collegiate Panhellenics may infringe on those requirements.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenD View Post
It’s been true for grades for decades. Some sororities have higher grade requirements to pledge than others. Local Panhellenics put disclaimers that state Panhellenic policy and state that individual chapters may have different requirements.
Ah. So just as a Transwoman may only be able to be invited to pledge by 15 of 20 sororities on campus, an applicant with a 2.6 her first semester may only be invited to pledge by 14 of the 20.

Thanx, I hadn't thought of grade requirements as something that would separate the chapters in that way.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:50 AM
GreekChat Member

We talk about GPA requirements and "grade risks" all the time on this site. Those women are typically released first round.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Dumb question - how would they know? They'd have to either ask or surmise. Surmising could lead to all kinds of stereotypical reactions.

I ask this because I have an acquaintance with whom I've had several long discussions. To look at her, one would immediately think trans woman, but she has mentioned to me more than once hormonal issues she's had throughout her life. I certainly would not dream of asking.
They wouldn't know, per se...we don't ask for birth certificates, so it's all down to disclosure...and I feel like that gets sticky. The qualification for memberships in many organizations is, "are you a woman?" and since trans women are women...
Closed Thread