GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,452
1 members and 1,451 guests
speedsters
View Poll Results: Are your organization's risk management policies too oppressive?
Yes. 124 48.25%
No. 114 44.36%
Not sure. 19 7.39%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, the littler box and pacifier thing are completely taking it too far. I guess it's a lot like the scavenger hunts - people who take things too far will ruin something that was once innocent and not meant to be demeaning
Old 10-09-2012, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrybaby View Post
Yeah, the littler box and pacifier thing are completely taking it too far. I guess it's a lot like the scavenger hunts - people who take things too far will ruin something that was once innocent and not meant to be demeaning
I'm wondering if any risk management policy actually specifically mentions Photo scavenger hunts as being OK. I know it is still possible to get cutsey and wrong on these (get us a picture of a naked 4 year old and what the members *expect* you to do is take a picture of the school mascot, a live pig) but it still seems less obnoxious.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 PM

It's ironic that all this "baby" talk has come about because pledges weren't allowed to be called pledges. I had zero problem with being referred to as a pledge, but anyone who called me a "baby bug" would have gotten smacked upside the head.

Let's just face it, "new member" is awfully lame and clinical and you don't want to call someone who's going to be your SISTER something lame and clinical.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It's ironic that all this "baby" talk has come about because pledges weren't allowed to be called pledges. I had zero problem with being referred to as a pledge, but anyone who called me a "baby bug" would have gotten smacked upside the head.

Let's just face it, "new member" is awfully lame and clinical and you don't want to call someone who's going to be your SISTER something lame and clinical.
Precisely.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

It's a bit of a lane swerve, but I find the "baby" stuff being hazing to be completely absurd. Try telling a jury you were hazed because someone called you a baby whatever. They'd think you were an idiot and promptly return a defendant's verdict.

It appears some NPC groups have forgotten what hazing really is. It's kind of like the zero tolerance policies you hear about at schools where kids are suspended for bringing little GI*Joe guns to school.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It's a bit of a lane swerve, but I find the "baby" stuff being hazing to be completely absurd. Try telling a jury you were hazed because someone called you a baby whatever. They'd think you were an idiot and promptly return a defendant's verdict.

It appears some NPC groups have forgotten what hazing really is. It's kind of like the zero tolerance policies you hear about at schools where kids are suspended for bringing little GI*Joe guns to school.
I don't think that national organizations are calling this "hazing" as much as they just think it's ridiculous and a practice that shouldn't become a habit.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-10-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

NPC groups calling absurb things hazing is nothing new. Example: We were told a bulletin board in the house with our new pledges' pictures, majors and a little bit about them on it - quite handy for sisters who had busy schedules and not a lot of time to get to know the pledges right off the bat - was hazing. Reason? It "put the pledges on display." This is 15 years ago.

We're just commenting on the raaaaaaaayn on your wedding day that supposedly eliminating one "awful" term just caused another to spring up - one that many people find more "demeaning" than the worst word EVER CREATED EVER.

And I do agree w/ sherrybaby that it's a generational thing. I don't hate it because I think it's hazing. I hate it because I think it's stupid. I also think Hello Kitty is stupid and that ish is all over college campuses.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Baby-related side note: IU is big on the 'baby' terminology. Baby Hooters, Baby Squirrels, Baby Turtles...you get the idea.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
Baby-related side note: IU is big on the 'baby' terminology. Baby Hooters, Baby Squirrels, Baby Turtles...you get the idea.
'Baby hooters' disturbs me.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes. I think many of the policies, namely the "thou shalt nots," are reasonable at their cores, but then become over-expanded because of the risk of liability.
Example: We are not allowed to physically join new members together. Yes, typing pledges up is bad. Having them do a 3-legged race could be bad, even though some might see that as a fun activity. But we can't have them hold hands. So asking them to hold hands in a circle and sing a sorority song is considered hazing instead of a bonding activity.

I'm not so much frustrated with the policies themselves, but rather the general nature of society, in the sense that people like to blame and sue for anything they can, that makes a sorority have to ban hand-holding, scavenger hunts of any kind, etc. even though most people and organizations would only use those things with good intentions.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGreek View Post
But we can't have them hold hands. So asking them to hold hands in a circle and sing a sorority song is considered hazing instead of a bonding activity.
I've never heard of this hand-holding thing. Is this a new national policy of some groups?

@~/~~~~
Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I've never heard of this hand-holding thing. Is this a new national policy of some groups?
To be honest, I can't remember if that specific policy was a national policy, or from UGA Panhellenic. I do remember reading it though, and it definitely specified hand-holding under the rule stating we can't physically put new members together.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
The pacifier necklaces bid day picture was at IU, a couple years ago.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGreek View Post
To be honest, I can't remember if that specific policy was a national policy, or from UGA Panhellenic. I do remember reading it though, and it definitely specified hand-holding under the rule stating we can't physically put new members together.
That sounds like a local Panhellenic rule passed because someone pushed this or that. Some panhels have a "no touching" rule during rush.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That sounds like a local Panhellenic rule passed because someone pushed this or that. Some panhels have a "no touching" rule during rush.
UGA has the no touching rule as well. You aren't even supposed to shake hands when introducing yourself to a PNM/active. They usually won't fine you for it, or if, say, an active sees a PNM she's related to and gives her a quick hug, but that active will probably have a Gamma Chi tailing her for the rest of the party if that happens.