GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,541
1 members and 1,540 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 09-18-2003, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

but 2:30 in the morning is just that...
time and place.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-18-2003, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to zchi2
Quote:
Originally posted by tnxbutterfly

I keep thinking Zeta Sigma Phi is Zeta Sigma Chi

Please don't say that...

I really hope this doesn't hurt our chapters' Rush...

Maybe it was just me, but it seems like MTV skipped a lot. Not only did they skip Rush, but it didn't seem like the episode flowed properly. I was really disappointed in the show. I hope it gets better...
Old 09-18-2003, 10:25 AM

Val and Coral from Real World Back to NY were obviously separated at birth.

I'm glad they showed enough discretion to not allow their member selection sessions to be televised. Also, I'm guessing their rush events were all girl, as opposed to the coed parties of the past seasons, and where is the excitement in that?

Do the blurred shirts say Abercrombie, Aeropostale or USC? You decide .

All in all, I think that this season will probably live up to its preshow publicity and be pretty boring. The drama will most likely come from 6 strangers living together - hmmm, does this sound familiar?
Old 09-18-2003, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I think that it is a good thing that it might be "boring" because it wouldn't make sororities look too bad if GDI don't have anything to complain about.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

This is going to the the worst season. Actually, MTV does nothing good for greeks what-so-ever anyway. Thankfully they are locals being represented, not nationals. They can give themselves a bad name and nobody else.

Both Soror./Frat. lifes will suck. I doubt I will even watch.

PS, Val can suck it. Life does not stop at the Zeta Sigma Phi house. They suck.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
Okay, for some reason after this first show I'm thinking - boring. As a lot of others have said I'm just not feeling it, but of course I will watch it every week all the same.

Hopefully though this is actually going to be a tame show. We had our first informal recruitment of the semester last night and this was the first time that I was asked straight out if we're like Sorority Life. A couple of the people that asked that seemed really scared we were going to be like that. I'm just glad that they got past that idea and are learning what we really are like.

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 09-18-2003, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BirthaBlue4
Quote:
Originally posted by silly_me
it's not just proving they're good enough for the sorority, but also showing actives that they want it.

Pretty much. Some people want to do it just to do it, and in this case, just to be on TV, so its not entirely crazy that they expect the girls to earn their letters. You have to work hard once you get in, so why not work to GET in? That doesn't mean that you're out and out trifling to them (2:30 am incident), but the pledges have to show that they are serious. Anyone can come in there and run verbal game on them and get in just to put on a shirt (yes, some are that pressed), but by having to earn it, more than likely, will weed out those that aren't serious about Zeta Sigma Phi as a lifelong committment.

I enjoyed seeing the incredible diverse mix of sisters in the sorority. Its not all black, all white, all asian, all latino, its ome of everybody.

I did want to smack Meena for being ignorant. She missed the meeting and had no idea what she was doing, or why she was getting the signatures, and didn't seem to care that she looked stupid as hell. As a sister, I would take offense to that myself. She didn't ask her line sisters (or fellow pledgees, whatever)? That just goes further to make her look bad, she already has some red flags up. And you DO NOT leave a pledge meeting like that, at least not the FIRST one. That looked bad. During your pledge period, you should put other stuff on the semi-back burner temporarily. Not completely, but Zeta Sigma Chi should have come first (after classes)...if you're serious
Old 09-18-2003, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BirthaBlue4
I did want to smack Meena for being ignorant. She missed the meeting and had no idea what she was doing, or why she was getting the signatures, and didn't seem to care that she looked stupid as hell. As a sister, I would take offense to that myself. She didn't ask her line sisters (or fellow pledgees, whatever)? That just goes further to make her look bad, she already has some red flags up.
oooohhhhh yeah. I think she as much as said that this is just something she wants to do to "round out" her college career...more like another notch on her belt rather than being there for the sisterhood.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Not completely, but Zeta Sigma Chi should have come first (after classes)...if you're serious
You mean Zeta Sigma Phi right?
Old 09-18-2003, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BirthaBlue4
Yeah, sorry LOL
Old 09-18-2003, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, sorry LOL
I guess I should get used to it...
Old 09-18-2003, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to btb87 Send a message via Yahoo to btb87
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
oooohhhhh yeah. I think she as much as said that this is just something she wants to do to "round out" her college career...more like another notch on her belt rather than being there for the sisterhood.
Good point - just like her being on 3 step teams (why, why??) and playing softball. . . just something else to do.

And BirthaBlue, I agree with your points too about Meena. She didn't seem to take any of that seriously - why didn't she tell her stepteam members that she was in the process of pledging - remember she said that she CAN'T be late for step practice? Did you also notice that she mentioned that she wasn't used to how they were doing things; that she was more used to the way AfAm sororities and fraternities did things. Well, if she was, do you think she would have just up and walked out of the 1st meeting like that? She didn't seem to have any "reverence" for the big sisters or anything.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

reruns?

Does anyone know when they will air a rerun of the first episode?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2003, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
Quote:
Originally posted by btb87
Good point - just like her being on 3 step teams (why, why??) and playing softball. . . just something else to do.

And BirthaBlue, I agree with your points too about Meena. She didn't seem to take any of that seriously - why didn't she tell her stepteam members that she was in the process of pledging - remember she said that she CAN'T be late for step practice? Did you also notice that she mentioned that she wasn't used to how they were doing things; that she was more used to the way AfAm sororities and fraternities did things. Well, if she was, do you think she would have just up and walked out of the 1st meeting like that? She didn't seem to have any "reverence" for the big sisters or anything.
TRUE.

For someone used to the BGLO way of doing things, she sure didn't look like she was applying her knowledge to Zeta Sigma Phi.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 09-18-2003, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I honestly only watched about 15 minutes of SL 3 last night because I just couldn't deal with the attitudes the actives were giving the new members. What was that shit about?

As for why I think they didn't show rush, if anyone noticed MTV posted comments saying that 50 girls went through rush for the chapter and they only extended bids to 16.

I don't know about the whole rush process though. I somewhat feel bad for the chapters because how do you know if these girls rushing actually want to be a member of your sorority because they like the things you believe in or if they are just rushing because of MTV.

With that, I honestly felt that half of those pledges rushed just because of MTV.

They all kept talking about how they 'wanted to belong' and 'wanted the sisterhood and connections'. I mean absolutely no offense to the chapter, but can't you recieve that same thing from any of the other national recognized or local sororities on campus? Yes.

In the 15 minutes I watched, I just got this sense that some of the pledges were more interested in getting the exposure via MTV than they really were about joining the sorority.

Just my opinions.

Brianna
Alpha Delta Pi