GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,366
0 members and 1,366 guests
No Members online

Old 11-20-2003, 04:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zetagymnast Send a message via Yahoo to Zetagymnast
Quote:
Originally posted by CatStarESP4
I knew that Carmen wouldn't crossover. She badmouthed some of the actives and had some temper tantrums. What did she mean that she thought that ZSP was different? Did she pledge a sorority before only to depledge?

I was surprised that Michelle was allowed to crossover. I didn't think she would get in after writing such disrespectful things about the actives. I wonder about the abstentions. Were those who abstained from voting really wanted to say no to her, but decided not to at the end.

I thought that the girls need a unanimous vote as in all 22 actives saying yes, but most got in with yeses and abstentions.

I was confused about that too. I think some sister didn't have the heart to even vote for some people because they would feel bad so they took abstentions. But, an abstentions vote is basically not a vote at all so technically they we voted in on a unanimous vote by all the actives, even though it was less than 22.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-20-2003, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
I think that either:

1) What we see is what we got.

-or-

2) There could have been a private ceremony before the one that we saw.
Remember...at the beginning of the season we never saw nor heard any part of the rush process, just "POOF"....pledges!! They probably had a private ceremony that they made sure MTV didn't speak of (I'm hoping at least!). Val said that if you are going to crossover, you are invited to Installs....it looks like a formal celebration. I liked the idea of the pledges being presented in front of everyone...that was cool. However, they were carrying candles that I never saw lit.

I'm very surprised that the girls lagging behind in points (Michelle) was actually given enough points in the last week to get to the vote. Seems like if someone didn't want her, they wouldn't give her points. Same with Carmen.....they didn't have to give her points, I don't care what kind of personal stuff she did for sisters. That should have been her wakeup call there.

Could Carmen have been the MTV 'mole'???
Old 11-20-2003, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

It's despicable

Quote:
Originally posted by Zetagymnast
Can you tell me what happen on fraternity life because I left the house to go to my brothers line last night with like 15 minutes left in the show. I know Pat was so hung over and they had to run to the beach but what happen after that?
The pledges had to exercise on the beach, and then were given like 55 min. to run the five miles (or whatever) back to the house. It was tough, but doable.

I think it was at the beach where the old black alumnus was giving the pledges hell, and the big guy pledge notices that he has a Delta branded on his chest - "that's really hardcore."

The heavy guy was struggling with the run, but the others took breaks and helped him. Pledge brotherhood was building. Then more crap at the house.

There was a gap from about mid-night until daybreak (either MTV was kicked out or chose not to show it). At daybreak, we see the pledges looking even worse, covered with paint splotches, and wearing diapers over their boxers. They are a mess.

The brothers are shown saying how great the pledge program is (apparently losing over half the pledges, including three during hell week, is a sign of success).

Then the pledges are taken to the Triangle monument, and congratulated for crossing over. Most of the pledges say that pledging "was the greatest thing they've ever done, and their pledge brothers are the greatest guys in the world."

In summary, what a despicable bunch of brothers. What a despicable pledge program. What can these guys' parents and friends think when they see this on TV?

The pledge program reminds me of my pledge days, when we did all sorts of crap - because we were told to and my pledge friends were doing it too. We wanted to be members. We didn't want to be quitters. But my pledge program also had some common sense - there was nothing in public (the crap all took place in the basement or inside the house) and no TV cameras were allowed.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Re: It's despicable

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
I think it was at the beach where the old black alumnus was giving the pledges hell, and the big guy pledge notices that he has a Delta branded on his chest - "that's really hardcore."

Just a FYI
He wasn't/isn't black, his background is south Asian.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: It's despicable

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
The pledges had to exercise on the beach, and then were given like 55 min. to run the five miles (or whatever) back to the house. It was tough, but doable.

The heavy guy was struggling with the run, but the others took breaks and helped him. Pledge brotherhood was building. Then more crap at the house.

There was a gap from about mid-night until daybreak (either MTV was kicked out or chose not to show it). At daybreak, we see the pledges looking even worse, covered with paint splotches, and wearing diapers over their boxers. They are a mess.

The brothers are shown saying how great the pledge program is (apparently losing over half the pledges, including three during hell week, is a sign of success).

Then the pledges are taken to the Triangle monument, and congratulated for crossing over. Most of the pledges say that pledging "was the greatest thing they've ever done, and their pledge brothers are the greatest guys in the world."

In summary, what a despicable bunch of brothers. What a despicable pledge program. What can these guys' parents and friends think when they see this on TV?

The pledge program reminds me of my pledge days, when we did all sorts of crap - because we were told to and my pledge friends were doing it too. We wanted to be members. We didn't want to be quitters. But my pledge program also had some common sense - there was nothing in public (the crap all took place in the basement or inside the house) and no TV cameras were allowed.

It's seeing what these guys went through, and how sheltered they were that makes me think it might be good if EVERYONE made kids wait until at least 2nd semester to pledge. If poor blubery Jon had gotten out a little more, he would have seen plenty of people with brands [and ones that look better than that!]

It was nice to see that the boys were sharing a candy bar, and it seems like they did ultimately bond w/ each other. However, I was VERY disturbed that they lost soooooo many pledges

I realize they were concerned about people being there for the tv cameras, but I also got the impression that some of what we saw was stuff they would have done anyway. In the begining of the season, I remember when they did the flaming delta on the beach, and I thought, that was cool. But at the end, they just said - you're active. I wish there had been a little more pomp and circumstance, rather than just keeping the boys up for 24 hours.

Also, I didn't realize that this week was the last episode, am I the only one who wants a follow-up or reunion show?????
Old 11-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by CatStarESP4
What did she mean that she thought that ZSP was different? Did she pledge a sorority before only to depledge?

I thought about that too
Old 11-22-2003, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

with all of these it might be nice to know what happens next...
Old 11-22-2003, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: New Orleans. Or pure unpenetrable evil, depending on what I feel like at the moment.
Send a message via AIM to GPhiLlama Send a message via Yahoo to GPhiLlama
I think that Slater might repledge later. He said it wasn't an option at this time. Course, if he did, they'd probably give him more crap.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: It's despicable

Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaPoodle
Just a FYI
He wasn't/isn't black, his background is south Asian.
Just wanted to reiterate that point.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't watch every episode, but I'm going to post my 2¢ anyhow

*I really hope that there was a more private install ceremony than we saw. I'm just going to believe that there was.

*I understand those abstaining. By abstaining, I feel that the sister was saying, "Maybe I haven't seen all that this woman has to offer, so if the rest of the chapter can live with her, I will go for the good of the chapter."

*At the same time, there should be a limit to how many abstaintions one can receive before another vote or whatever has to be taken.

*I would not have voted to allow Carmen in. I saw more of a "Oh, cool, a chance to be on MTV!" and "Get the $%^& out of my $%^& face, $%^& MTV!!" - not a desire to be part of a sisterhood. Even the guy at the dress shop (when they were looking for proper dresses) commented on her sour look!

*But to wait until the night before? Come on! That's downright cruel!! Also, to do so over the telephone was not very cool, either. Would it have hurt to have two or three sisters to take Carmen into a room and talk to her privately? She could have left with more dignity then.

*Lastly, I too liked the idea of a "presentation" of the new sisters! That was a very beautiful ceremony, and a nice way to wrap up the season! (especially better than trying to sing the words to "You've Got A Friend" with a piece of paper in one hand & a lit candle in the other!)

Congratulations to the new sisters!
Old 11-22-2003, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

The worst idea ever

Quote:
Originally posted by rho4life
It's seeing what these guys went through, and how sheltered they were that makes me think it might be good if EVERYONE made kids wait until at least 2nd semester to pledge.
In my opinion, that is the worst idea ever.

If there is a benefit to fraternity membership, why would it be better to wait a semester to get it?
Old 11-22-2003, 03:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zetagymnast Send a message via Yahoo to Zetagymnast

Quote:
It's seeing what these guys went through, and how sheltered they were that makes me think it might be good if EVERYONE made kids wait until at least 2nd semester to pledge. If poor blubery Jon had gotten out a little more, he would have seen plenty of people with brands [and ones that look better than that!]

It was nice to see that the boys were sharing a candy bar, and it seems like they did ultimately bond w/ each other. However, I was VERY disturbed that they lost soooooo many pledges

I realize they were concerned about people being there for the tv cameras, but I also got the impression that some of what we saw was stuff they would have done anyway. In the begining of the season, I remember when they did the flaming delta on the beach, and I thought, that was cool. But at the end, they just said - you're active. I wish there had been a little more pomp and circumstance, rather than just keeping the boys up for 24 hours.

Also, I didn't realize that this week was the last episode, am I the only one who wants a follow-up or reunion show?????
I wanted to know who crossed and we didnt because I had to leave the house to help my brothers out with their pledges. I need to be filled in. Also, in my opinion I think they make franternities look bad because all the crap they made them do. I had to prove I wanted to be in my sorority too but at what cost?
Old 11-23-2003, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhirlwindTNX
Carmen on the Zeta website?

Okay so I visited the Zeta Sigma Phi website and Carmen is up there on the intro slide show with some of the actives! She's in the background...but if she isn't a sister, why have her on your intro page?

I get they probably missed that, but.....still.....that uber cute slide show should be for sisters only.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:42 PM
wreckingcrew

Quote:

no offense man, but i went to one of the largest public schools in the country for 6 years and i never saw a brand on anybody. Not saying that people didn't have them, just that in my interactions i never saw one.

The only brands i've ever seen, i've seen in pictures, and those were mostly Emmitt Smith and other athletes'.

Kitso
KS 361
Old 11-23-2003, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to APhiRattlerGal Send a message via Yahoo to APhiRattlerGal
Whats their website?