GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 996
0 members and 996 guests
No Members online

Old 06-08-2010, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Accredited masters w/o taking GRE/GMAT

Need help finding an accredited program that does not require taking the GRE or GMAT. Would prefer campus site, but on-line is acceptable.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle_phoenix View Post
Need help finding an accredited program that does not require taking the GRE or GMAT. Would prefer campus site, but on-line is acceptable.
Google

Honestly, though, do you think the quality of the degree is going to be worth it?

Old 06-08-2010, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Google

Honestly, though, do you think the quality of the degree is going to be worth it?
Hey don't say that. Almost ALL MSW programs, nationwide, don't require GRE/ GMAT scores. Also, I received my Master's in Education from Penn State University and I never took the GRE/ GMAT because if your GPA is high enough, some schools don't expect you to take those tests, either.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Hey don't say that. Almost ALL MSW programs, nationwide, don't require GRE/ GMAT scores. Also, I received my Master's in Education from Penn State University and I never took the GRE/ GMAT because if your GPA is high enough, some schools don't expect you to take those tests, either.
Well, no MSW program should require the GMAT, but I get what you're saying.

If the OP was in your situation (high enough GPA), though, s/he would already know about the test waivers.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Don't know what MSW program YOU'RE talking about because ALMOST IF NOT ALL DO REQUIRE a GRE score if they are accredited by the CSWE. Sorry to burst that bubble, but unless you are in this field and HAVE GONE to grad school for an MSW, leave it to those WHO HAVE.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by libramunoz View Post
Don't know what MSW program YOU'RE talking about because ALMOST IF NOT ALL DO REQUIRE a GRE score if they are accredited by the CSWE. Sorry to burst that bubble, but unless you are in this field and HAVE GONE to grad school for an MSW, leave it to those WHO HAVE.

It's a good thing that you and als463 both said "almost" because it isn't "all" on either side. LOL. Some MSW programs that are CSWE accredited (including a few at Research I institutions) only require a GRE or MAT score if the GPA is below a 3.0.

UPenn is one such institution (however, they don't mention a GPA requirement) and it isn't the only institution:
http://www.sp2.upenn.edu/programs/msw/index.html
http://www.sp2.upenn.edu/programs/msw/faq.html

Last edited by DrPhil; 06-08-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

What do I know?

Quote:
That's funny. I AM in the field and I am planning on getting my MSW, even though I hold an M.Ed. from Penn State. What's even funnier is that according to many WELL-KNOWN and RESPECTABLE schools, the GRE is NOT required. I listed the top 5 schools for you in the MSW program that do NOT require the GRE. What do they know, though-right?

I mean...they are ONLY the TOP programs in the nation for MSW...huh? Because I am originally from PA, I felt the need to throw in some from PA and Syracuse University because I am living in the 'Cuse. Once again...NO GRE NEEDED.

I guess they can't POSSIBLY be accredited or respected...I mean, all the schools I listed (I couldn't list them all or I'd be on here all night) are JUST some of the BEST DAMN SCHOOLS in the NATION. What do they know? What do I know? I guess if an interested person has basic literacy skills, they could find the same information I've already known and pointed out. But, hey...What do I know?

Washington University in St. Louis (ranked #1)
University of Michigan (ranked #2)
University of Chicago (ranked #3)
Columbia University (ranked #4)
University of Washington (ranked #5)

University of Pittsburgh (ranked #14)
NYU (ranked #22)-Does NOT mention the GRE exam
Indiana University (ranked #26)
Ohio State University (ranked #30)-GRE ONLY REQUIRED if less than a 3.0 GPA
Syracuse University (ranked #60)
WVU (ranked #82)-GRE ONLY REQUIRED if less than a 3.0 GPA
Old 06-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
NYU (ranked #22)-Does NOT mention the GRE exam
They don't require it. Always check the FAQ. The GRE (or MAT) is only required for the PhD in SW. http://www.nyu.edu/socialwork/faqs/
Old 06-08-2010, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Schools offering MA/MS/MBA programs at the Ed Centers on military bases usually do not require the GRE or GMAT especially if they are members of the Servicemembers Opportunity Council. SOC schools that deal with the undergraduate degrees on posts don't require the SAT.

The 3 graduate schools at my nearest installation's Ed Ctr are all SOC schools, all are AACSB-accredited, of course are all regionally accredited. None require standardized test scores. That being said, they are not Wharton or HBS.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Spam answer to come...

Protip: Spamming for a crappy-shouldn't-be-accredited Master's program is only marginally convincing when you at least pretend to be looking for a particular sort of program.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-08-2010, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

FWIW, almost no Canadian universities (or any of the European universities I've been looking at for that matter) require the GRE. However, from what I've read almost every American university requires them. It also depends on your field of study. If everyone else in your field has taken them, why would you want to be the only one that hasn't?
Old 06-08-2010, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

However, what you are saying and implying is that Almost if not ALL MSW programs don't require one to take a GRE. That's simply NOT true.

My only point is and was that MANY of these schools do REQUIRE a GRE test score in order to attend.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
However, what you are saying and implying is that Almost if not ALL MSW programs don't require one to take a GRE. That's simply NOT true.

My only point is and was that MANY of these schools do REQUIRE a GRE test score in order to attend.
Actually, your point was that ALMOST IF NOT ALL (emphasis yours) require the GRE. Both of you were incorrect in your exaggerations.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Actually, your point was that ALMOST IF NOT ALL (emphasis yours) require the GRE. Both of you were incorrect in your exaggerations.
Thank you for correcting that about NYU. I didn't feel like looking through all the FAQ sections of the various schools. Some of the programs didn't mention GRE scores but, their sites were particularly tough to navigate if you are not used to how their school does something (I'm talking to YOU Michigan State and Indiana).

I would say that I am not incorrect in my "exaggeration" because I gave her a list of schools that were top of the line and best in the field. I have always known that MSW programs generally do NOT expect or require GRE scores (some only if you have a horrible GPA).

As far as libramunoz...How does that humble pie taste considering you were wrong and then tried to back track so you didn't look like you were trying to be a complete dick who was off the mark when if fact you were?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
I would say that I am not incorrect in my "exaggeration" because I gave her a list of schools that were top of the line and best in the field. I have always known that MSW programs generally do NOT expect or require GRE scores (some only if you have a horrible GPA).

As far as libramunoz...How does that humble pie taste considering you were wrong and then tried to back track so you didn't look like you were trying to be a complete dick who was off the mark when if fact you were?
Don't serve humble pie just yet. "Almost if not all" on your part was also an exaggeration. You haven't proven that it is "almost all" (total # of MSW programs and the # of MSW programs that don't require the GRE) and it definitely isn't "all."