GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,429
3 members and 1,426 guests
FSUZeta, Kevin, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-17-2001, 08:54 PM

Red face Fake?

Get this...my best friend is in AZD, as I have told in previous posts...and lately i've been getting to know A PHI's and chillin' with them lately devoloping an interest for the house. My best friend's sisters (I get along with them as well) have been seeing me hang out with the APhi's and told my best friend that they think I'm going Aphi (My Bestf told me this)... and they also told her "Should we even try?" WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN!!!!!!?? can't they just be my friend and TRY to get to know me even though they think I'm going somewhere else. Just makes the house look a whole lot like FAKE PEOPLE!!!!!

ANY OPINIONS or ADVICE???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-17-2001, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all calm down! When is your rush? If rush is nearby i don't think it is a good idea to hang around sororities. Most schools have a strict silence policy once the freshman move up to school. Just because the girls asked if they should even try doesn't mean a bad thing. Maybe they are thinking," She must really like them and probably doesn't want to consider any other houses." The more you publicly hang out with one house the more other houses are going to think this. You may only know that one house said this, but there could be more so don't get upset. Maybe they think you are a great girl and are like "darn we already lost her."
Also that doesn't make them fake. I'm not sure why you would think they were fake by what they said.

[This message has been edited by AlphaSigLana (edited August 17, 2001).]
Old 08-18-2001, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

My advice is: hangout with whomever you want. If you are planning on going Greek, go through rush and make a decision based on your heart. Go where you feel comfortable. No matter which house you choose, if your friends in the other house are truly your friends, they'll understand and love you no matter what.

Good luck!

Jen
Alpha Phi @ Texas Tech

[This message has been edited by TechAPhi (edited August 18, 2001).]
Old 08-18-2001, 06:47 AM
Banned

Lightbulb

I would agree that they are not being fake, I would however suggest that you be careful how much time you spend with chapters in public before rush. Speaking from experience, I rushed both fall and spring semesters of my freshman year (deferred rush where freshmen could only join a greek letter group the second semester but could go through 1st just not accept a bid). I had hung out with the ladies in one sorority (deltas) mainly because I had good friends in another (alphas) and wanted to get to know the deltas more before making a decision. needless to say that come bid time in the spring I got bids only from deltas and thetas even though I went to all the houses. I later asked my alpha friends and they told me they didn't give me a bid because they thought I was definitely going delta because of the time that I had spent with them. I did pledge and initiate into Delta but I didn't really have much of a decision to make because, to some extent, alpha had made it for me. note: this isn't a regret in a way, but rather an experience.

I would really be careful that you don't let others make your decision because of what they see ('oh, she must not be interested in us anymore because she's spending all her time with them.')

Sorry for the babbling! =)

Sarah
Old 08-18-2001, 04:28 PM

Rush is the 7th of september...I think.
Old 08-18-2001, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Beryana: you make a good point. Also, as AlphaSigLana said, there are probably rules regarding prior contact and "silence" before rush.

Perhaps you should distance yourself from all sorority members during this period before recruitment (as they should probably be doing with you b/c of NPC rules).

Angel
Old 08-18-2001, 04:53 PM

The only rules that they have to follow is that they can't drive me around or be in the same car as me, nor can anyone take me out to an all APHI or AZD or Tridelt, etc... event. Oh and I think they can't call me but I can call them. They can talk to me or see me at a party and hang out there. I see these girls all the time because I'm always around the fraternity houses. But I do agree...maybe i should distance myself just to be on the safe side. rush is kinda getting on my nerves...TOO Many RULES!!! but i understand though.