GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 2,305
2 members and 2,303 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-11-2017, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Weird alumnae/alumni stories

Since we have a thread for work "weird recruitment stories", I thought we could share some weird alumni stories.

I used to live in Atlanta and XO has a thriving alumnae chapter. Lots of activities: monthly get togethers, mommys' club, night owls (happy hour for the younger alumnae -- we even had mixers with fraternity alumni), book club, lunch bunch, monthly volunteering as tour guides at the Georgia governor's mansion, holiday parties, big annual charity event, etc.
Right after the Atlanta Olympics in 1996, and we had "Chi O alumnae night at the Braves game". We had a few Turner employees, who got 10 free tickets to the Braves game per year, and we pooled them together to get group seating. This was before all alumnae had Internet so we had a calling tree to invite people to the game.
The group met in front of the stadium before the game and everyone who didn't know each other, started asking other alumnae questions like "where did you go to college?", "What was your chapter like?".
I was spearheading the group and one woman pulled me aside. She said she wasn't a Chi O but thought the person on the phone said "Kayak". She had been a Olympic volunteer for Kayaking and thought that the crew who worked kayak were getting together to go to a Braves game. (Kayak / Chi O) On the calling tree, someone must have misdialed. The woman was unsure about even attending the game and when I told her story to the group, everyone thought it was so funny. Of course, we said to come to the game with us!

Last edited by ChioLu; 03-11-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

What a strange and funny accident!

True and Constant
Old 03-18-2017, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

That is a very funny story and I'm glad that the kayak volunteer was invited to join the Chi Omega group for the game.