GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls

Old 03-16-2015, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Inactive Member?

I joined a npc sorority, i absolutely fell in love with my chapter and sisters, i pledged and became active, after my first semester- i was supposed to have a position and had a strong possibility of gaining a little. however after my first semester i unfortunately left the college and had to go inactive. the school i am currently attending does not have a chapter of my sorority. i am constantly visiting my old chapter and i attend many of their events and i meet the potential new members every semester. I am graduating early and hope to go elsewhere for grad school. i have been told that joining a sorority in grad school is not an option.

i was wondering because im not "joining" an org if it was a different situation. if i was just becoming active again, if that is a viable option? i was told going alumnae makes you ineligible for positions or littles. is this true? has anyone had this experience before?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalityphi View Post

I joined a npc sorority, i absolutely fell in love with my chapter and sisters, i pledged and became active, after my first semester- i was supposed to have a position and had a strong possibility of gaining a little. however after my first semester i unfortunately left the college and had to go inactive. the school i am currently attending does not have a chapter of my sorority. i am constantly visiting my old chapter and i attend many of their events and i meet the potential new members every semester. I am graduating early and hope to go elsewhere for grad school. i have been told that joining a sorority in grad school is not an option.

i was wondering because im not "joining" an org if it was a different situation. if i was just becoming active again, if that is a viable option? i was told going alumnae makes you ineligible for positions or littles. is this true? has anyone had this experience before?
What type of sorority do you wish to join while in Grad School?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:23 PM

If you aren't a full time student at a school with a chapter of your sorority, you can't hold office or take a little even if you are visiting all the time. (Side note: it's great that you stay in touch, but you will never be happy at your new school if you're never there. Try staying around and getting involved in some non-Greek activities. )

If there is a chapter of your sorority at the school you're doing your grad work at, you MAY be able to reactivate your membership if you are still in good standing. However, this is different for every group, and even within groups that allow it, depending on the makeup of the chapter, you or they may not find it a comfortable fit.

Your best bet is to call your national office and explain your situation.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are a member of an NPC group, you cannot joint another one. But since you are considered an alumna once you graduate, you could join your local alumnae group and become active there.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

The same org just a different chapter
Old 03-16-2015, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If you aren't a full time student at a school with a chapter of your sorority, you can't hold office or take a little even if you are visiting all the time. (Side note: it's great that you stay in touch, but you will never be happy at your new school if you're never there. Try staying around and getting involved in some non-Greek activities. )

If there is a chapter of your sorority at the school you're doing your grad work at, you MAY be able to reactivate your membership if you are still in good standing. However, this is different for every group, and even within groups that allow it, depending on the makeup of the chapter, you or they may not find it a comfortable fit.

Your best bet is to call your national office and explain your situation.
i am not looking to get position or little at old school because i am inactive, i am speaking in terms of joining a new chapter of the same sorority. my whole purpose for not attending the school i am currently enrolled in was because it is a very small town and i am not a fan of the people.... which is why i went to the first school. at the first school, i had many friends who i spent time with between and after classes. at my current school, i go to class and leave i would rather not spend my time there
Old 03-16-2015, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Quote:
The same org just a different chapter
Quote:
i am not looking to get position or little at old school because i am inactive, i am speaking in terms of joining a new chapter of the same sorority. my whole purpose for not attending the school i am currently enrolled in was because it is a very small town and i am not a fan of the people.... which is why i went to the first school. at the first school, i had many friends who i spent time with between and after classes. at my current school, i go to class and leave i would rather not spend my time there
I'm sorry, I'm somewhat confused.

You want to get involved where? You said you still spend a considerable amount of time at the old school (where you joined), right? Where is the new chapter you want to join? You mean, at your graduate school? Like, there is a chapter there and you want to become active?

Well if that's the case, I can tell you there have been other threads about that very topic, and in graduate school you're not going to have that kind of time. And there are other factors which come into play that generally work against grad students being involved in an undergraduate chapter.

That said, every NPC member sorority has its own policy on graduate students. But if you are an alum, you can't go back and be an active, is my take. However you'd best ask this question of your own Headquarters.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

I think you probably are considered an alumna, not an inactive member, because you were initiated and transferred to a college that does not have a chapter of your sorority.

You would need to research your sorority to see if graduate students are allowed to affiliate with undergraduate chapters. Some NPC sororities do not allow this.