GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,521
2 members and 2,519 guests
Tridentia

Old 09-17-2009, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink A Tasty Tale: Fall Recruitment 09

Hey yall!
I know that the board is being BOMBARDED with recruitment stories right now but I've been dying to add mine to the mix since the beginning of the summer!
I rushed at a very competitive SEC school with 17 sororities. I'm sure some of you will figure out which school...but PLEASE keep it to yourself. You can PM me with a guess if you want.
So I'm going to do ice cream flavors-

Vanilla
Strawberry
Chocolate Chip
Cookie Dough
Rocky Road
Rainbow Sherbet
Cherries Jubilee
Mint Chocolate Chip
French Vanilla
Pink Bubblegum
Cotton Candy
Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl
Banana Split
Chocolate
Coffee
Strawberry Kiwi
Cheescake

Anyways. I was very excited to rush, as my mother had been Greek and I have a cousin who is active at my school and LOVES her sorority. I read GC all summer and got so excited, but I knew I was rushing a very competitive school and would be in for an extremely tough week. With that in mind, I went into round 1, which was spread over 2 days.

Round 1:

Vanilla- I absolutely LOVED this house! I was extremely nervous coming in because it was my first house, but it was a blast! I got bumped to about 3 different girls, it felt very natural, I had some great conversations and was SO RELIEVED that rush wasn't quite as scary as I'd thought.

Strawberry- A girl I went to high school with is a member of this house, but she was out of town for rush so I knew I wouldn't see her. I didn't click at all with my girl, she was very nervous and bumped me to her friend, who kept asking me the same questions over and over. It was awkward. BUT, they had a gorgeous house and seemed really close.

Chocolate Chip- All the girls here were matching today! It was adorable. The girls I talked to were nice, but I felt like we didn't really connect at all-I couldn't picture myself here. They didn't know everyone in their chapter, which I can understand for very large houses. I didn't actually get bumped here, two floaters just came around and joined my original girl and I and then moved on.

Cookie Dough- The girls here were hilarious during their cheers! Their house was prettier inside than outside. The girl who rushed me was SO nervous, she told me I was the first person she ever rushed and had a hard time with the conversation, but was SO sweet. All the girls seemed very close! No bumps today. Even though I liked it, however, for certain reasons I knew I wouldn't be joining it. Unlike the girls in my Gamma Chi group, however, I was determined not to be rude- I was a guest in their home and I knew that all of the girls loved their house. So while I enjoyed it, I knew it was a no-go.

Rocky Road- The girls all matched here too, which looked SO cute! My mom had been a Rocky Road, but dropped out at the end of her senior year so I wasn't technically a legacy. The girls seemed very close, and I really liked my original girl- we really clicked! I also liked the other floater who came by. They talked a lot about their philanthropy and how much they loved it, which I really liked.

Rainbow Sherbet- Honestly, I got Rocky Road and this house a bit confused! I really liked this house, they were adorable and seemed like they really loved each other and their philanthropy. I was bumped about 3 times, but it was very natural.

Cherries Jubilee- This house was very funny during their cheers! I felt like I got put in a corner a little bit but the room was ridiculously crowded. I met about 3 girls, very smooth bumps, I liked them, but not as much as some of the other houses.

Mint Chocolate Chip- I have a family member in this chapter, who I knew I couldn't talk to but I was excited to see the sorority that meant so much to her! This chapter seemed VERY close! The girls were all matching, which I loved (as you can tell from before), and they had ADORABLE cheers. I did have an awkward moment while talking to my first girl, who stopped right in the middle of our conversation to ask if I had any questions. I had questions- but since I'd gone all day without getting asked, I couldn't think of anything to say! But we picked back up again, and I got bumped to another girl who I really liked.

French Vanilla- Adorable, adorable cheers! I got bumped to 3 girls, varying with how smooth it was. The first girl I talked to was great, we got along fine and were chattering away when another girl walked up. She seemed less interested in the conversation and kept looking around for the next girl, and left quickly. The last girl was really great, she knew a friend from my high school and we had a lot in common. Overall a fun house!

Pink Bubblegum- This house was INTIMIDATING during the cheers! I enjoyed talking to my original girl, but then they took us outside to meet everyone else. It was literally a whirlwind! I got the feeling that they weren't very interested because the girl kept me towards the outside of the group and would make sure I didn't meet anyone towards the inside...but all the girls were very funny and I enjoyed meeting everyone!

Cotton Candy- Oh my God. The cheers. A tiny piece of the chandelier fell off and hit a girl! She was perfectly fine but it was scary! The girl who rushed me was precious, we clicked fairly well and the party went by super fast! I really liked this house.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl- Love love LOVED this house! The girls seemed super super close. I got bumped to 3 different girls, and they all talked about a trip the house had taken together over the summer. I totally clicked with all 3 girls and really enjoyed the house!

Banana Split- This house was a NIGHTMARE. I had heard that they pre-selected their girls, and based on the actives I got the feeling I was NOT what they wanted. The girl who rushed me talked ceaselessly and kept handing me off to other girls, who immediately gave me back. Now, I'm fine with a lot of bumping and meeting people, but this was different- it was a conscious effort to make me forgettable. My rusher didn't know my name until she walked me all the way to the sidewalk! It was all very rushed and I KNEW what house would be mutually removed from my list that night!

Chocolate- This was one of the most beautiful houses I'd ever seen from the outside. The girls had great chants! The conversation was a bit awkward- I didn't quite click with either girl who rushed me, but we got along well enough to enjoy the party. It wasn't my favorite, but if they asked me back I knew I wanted a second look at this one.

Coffee- I really liked this house! My first girl and I got along well enough, and then a floater came up and we had an AWESOME conversation about their philanthropy, other organizations around the school, and the best places to go shopping or to dinner downtown.

Strawberry Kiwi (NOT Sigma Kappa, I just realized the letters match up)- I had a relative who was president of this sorority in the past, but I heard rumors everywhere that they pre-selected based on your high school. The girls seemed a bit distant with all of the PNMs, and my girl was very nice but kept pulling the conversation around to her. I knew I was going to get cut from this one because on the way out of the house she told me to enjoy the other houses and she was sure I'd find a place where I fit in- definitely implying that it was NOT her house.

Cheesecake- I was hoping I'd like this house, because the girls all seemed to be close during the cheers. But my rusher signaled her Big over to help her and they just talked to each other the entire time. I would try to add to the conversation but...it didn't quite work. I don't think they meant to be mean...but I knew they weren't going to ask me back.

I went back to my Gamma Chi group to rank. We had our top 12, in no order, and then ranked our bottom 5.

Rankings at the end of Round 1:
Top 12 (not ranked, I lost the card):
1.Vanilla
2. Strawberry
3. Chocolate Chip
4. Rocky Road
5. Rainbow Sherbet
6. Cherries Jubilee
7. Mint Chocolate Chip
8. French Vanilla
9. Pink Bubblegum
10. Cotton Candy
11. Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl
12. Chocolate

Bottom 5 (ranked):
1.Coffee
2.Cheesecake
3.Strawberry Kiwi
4.Banana Split
5.Cookie Dough
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-17-2009, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
I give all of you guys credit who have to see so many houses! I can't imagine trying to decide.

Anyways, Cheesecake is definitely my favorite and Mint Chocolate Chip too
Old 09-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

please keep posting.

and i'll be right back....i have to go to the grocery store for some ice cream!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofdots View Post
Cotton Candy- Oh my God. The cheers. A tiny piece of the chandelier fell off and hit a girl! She was perfectly fine but it was scary! The girl who rushed me was precious, we clicked fairly well and the party went by super fast! I really liked this house.
Hahaha that's hilarious! I seriously LOLed when I read that.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Round 2!

Round 2:
I went to round 2 extremely nervous but excited for house tours. My Gamma Chi gave me my schedule:

Chocolate
Pink Bubblegum
-break-
Coffee
Cookie Dough
-break-
Cotton Candy
-break-
Mint Chocolate Chip
Strawberry
French Vanilla

A good schedule- I was very excited- but no Vanilla? Oh well. I hadn't been hardcore creeping on GC all summer for nothing- I wanted to go where the girls wanted ME, and I knew I was VERY LUCKY to get such a full schedule with so many houses I really liked. There were already rumors that Cherries Jubilee had ALREADY cut 900 girls. Crazy! I headed off for Round 2 happily. =)

Round 2:
Chocolate- I was a bit nervous about Chocolate. I had loved their house and unity, but I hadn't quite clicked the day before. I was hoping it might happen today...and it totally did! I LOVED the girl who showed me around. She was great, and we had an AWESOME time! The house was absolutely beautiful and I had a blast. The girl covered all of the boards- philanthropy, socials, study abroad, all of it, without rushing. Great way to start the day!

Pink Bubblegum- I was happy to be back and guessed that I'd been wrong about the bumping the day before. But when they called off my name for someone to come get me, nobody did! I just stood there for 2 entire minutes. Finally someone saw me and RAN over to get me, then toured me around. The house was pretty, but the bumping was just as erratic as the day before- girls were actually interrupting me to bump! But I liked the girls I met and I really enjoyed the house. I had the same board explained to me 3 times, so I just learned about their intramural teams, nothing about philanthropy or socials.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl- Again, LOVING this house! Not only was it gorgeous, but I totally loved all of the girls I met, especially the one actually giving me the tour. I loved their boards and talk about socials and stuff, although they focused totally on the social aspect and didn't mention philanthropy. Still LOVE it!

Coffee- Oh, Coffee. I was really liking this house and the girl rushing me...until I almost spilled my drink on a girl's dress! The house was very pretty, but I accidentally let slip how tired I was after Round 1 and saw this girl's shocked face before she covered it up. Oops!

Cookie Dough- I had liked this house, but for certain reasons (not reputation, promise!) I knew that I wouldn't be joining it. Several girls in my Gamma Chi group told me they were planning to be rude, which I thought was horrible- so I went in with a big smile and determined to be even nicer. Unfortunately, my rusher and I did not click AT ALL- our senses of humor simply did not go together! It was an awkward tour, although they did have a pretty cool house!

Cotton Candy- SUCH a pretty house! The girl I had today didn't really click with me, but I was sleepy at that point because it was right after lunch so it might've been a combo of both of us! I got bumped back to the girl from round 1, who was SO sweet but obviously about to fall asleep on her feet! I liked this house, but not quite as much as some others.

Mint Chocolate Chip- LOVE! This house was SO different from the rest but SO pretty, and the girl I had and I TOTALLY clicked today! It was not awkward at all and I had a BLAST. I really liked this house even more than during the first round!

Strawberry- The house tour was interesting due to some issues, but SO pretty and unique! The girl I got was totally different from the first 2 girls who I hadn't quite clicked with, and I really liked her. I don't think I got bumped at all. I liked this house today slightly more than I had during the first round.

French Vanilla- I'd been a bit iffy about this house the day before, and I did not enjoy my time today. Although I LOVED the actual house, the girl rushing me ignored everything I said, rushed me around, and wouldn't introduce me to anyone. I was SO disappointed, since I'd had equal feelings about this house and Chocolate and had been so blown away by Chocolate that morning that I hoped the same would happen with French Vanilla.

We went back to rank our top and bottom 6.

Rankings
Top:
1.Strawberry
2.Mint Chocolate Chip
3.Cotton Candy
4.Pink Bubblegum
5.Chocolate
6.Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl
Bottom:
1.Coffee
2.French Vanilla
3.Cookie Dough
Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

"My mom had been a Rocky Road, but dropped out at the end of her senior year so I wasn't technically a legacy"

If she was initiated, you ARE technically a legacy.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
"My mom had been a Rocky Road, but dropped out at the end of her senior year so I wasn't technically a legacy"

Are you sure? Sorry, don't wanna cause trouble, but I could see how this goes either way. Maybe it varies by org? I don't know for a fact, just wondering.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:

I'm going to be nit-picky here:

If mom terminated/resigned/etc. her membership, she is not a legacy because mom is no longer a member.

Maybe AGD is different, but I don't know of any sorority that still considers a terminated/resigned woman's daughter a legacy.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-17-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I was informed that because she resigned instead of going inactive, I would NOT be considered a legacy.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I would say that is untrue for Phi Mu. In order to be a legacy, the person who gave you that legacy ie her mom, must be in good standing with Phi Mu. Giving up your membership means that you are no longer a member, therefore are not in good standing. I suppose if her mom dropped bc she transfered to a school without a chapter and maintained her membership as an alumnae, then she woud be a legacy.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink Round 3!

Round 3
I went to get my schedule SUPER nervous but SO excited about skits, because all of the Gamma Chis told us that skit round was the best.
My schedule read:

Cookie Dough
French Vanilla
-break-
Mint Chocolate Chip
Chocolate

Not a bad schedule, but I was unhappy that some of the houses I was VERY uncomfortable in kept asking me back. However, I decided to give those houses a chance, and was very excited to go back to some of the houses I'd really loved during round 2.

Cookie Dough- Once again, I really liked these girls, but not as 'future sisters' so much as 'I'd like to be friends with them someday.' Their skit was precious, but I knew that I would never join this house. I would be VERY uncomfortable there. The girl rushing me and I literally could not think of stuff to say so we had MANY awkward silences.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl- Oh, I was just SO disappointed today! I'd been absolutely loving this house up to this point...but the girl rushing me today just ruined it! She wouldn't talk, she wouldn't smile, and the kept sighing heavily every time I asked her a question. The skit was ok, not amazing but still cute. Afterwards I got so nervous because my girl WOULD NOT talk to me that I just kept asking questions about their philanthropy (We'd also just watched a video about it). But she just burst out angrily that philanthropy was NOT all they did, it was just a SMALL aspect of the house and didn't I have anything else to talk about? I was so surprised I just went ahead and asked about a social event I knew they had (I had a very chatty girl the round before who told me a lot about them, which was another reason I asked more about philanthropy) and let her talk about that. She bumped me to her Big as we were walking to the sidewalk, but she and her big just kinda tag-teamed another girl and left me walking behind them, completely cut out of the conversation and all alone! I was SO disappointed.

French Vanilla- This house was a major surprise for me today! I hadn't liked it very much before but today I LOVED it. The girl who rushed me was great, the video was awesome, the skit was hilarious and the girls seemed really into it! The only awkward was that outside on the lawn during the fast bumps, one girl who had been in the skit was obviously NOT interested in meeting me and walked off mid-conversation! Another girl rushed over to grab me before it was noticeable, and everyone else was awesome, but I was kinda put off by the one girl's behavior.

Mint Chocolate Chip- LOVE again! The skit was precious, the food was yummy, the conversation was easy and fun, and the girls were just awesome! Nobody was rude or awkward here and NO ABANDONMENT! Yay! I really liked this house again.

Chocolate: Also LOVE! This house had TOTALLY improved from my first impression! I totally loved the girl rushing me, and their skit and video were both brilliant. Yay!

We had to rank our top 3 and bottom 3.

Rankings
Top:
1.Mint Chocolate Chip
2.Chocolate
3.Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl
Bottom:
1.French Vanilla
2.Cookie Dough

Even though I liked French Vanilla more than Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl, I had consistently clicked with Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl more than French Vanilla, so I ranked them accordingly.

The next day was prefs...and I was SO nervous!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Mint Chocolate Chip is my fav kind of ice cream!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

it always upsets me when i read that a member abandons her rush guest-it is beyond rude and there is absolutely no excuse for it. even if she had an upset stomach, she should grab some sister, introduce her to her guest and then excuse herself. it wouldn't take a minute to do that.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
You're very nice. I can't believe how something rude is happening in almost every party! I would have gotten up and walked out on Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Swirl. If you don't want to talk about your philanthropy or other rush related topics that's fine, but ask to serve drinks then!

I don't think I would have made it through this recruitment at all. I would have quit and gotten the impression that sorority girls were "not so nice". Thank goodness you were well-educated in advance on this ins and outs before hand.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Is rudeness so common?

I don't know a lot about SEC rush, and don't know which school the OP is describing. Is it common for members of the sororities to be so rude to PNM's in whom they (presumably) aren't so interested? Not leading a girl on by giving her false hope is one thing, but I've never heard of PNM's being cut out of conversations, left alone, spoken to so rudely, etc.