GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,320
3 members and 2,317 guests
Kevin, Sen's Revenge

Old 06-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Your Opinion:How Many Recs are Too Many?

OK guys, your opinion is needed! A PNM is rushing at a small school. She got 2 recs for each group. An alum of 1 group offered to write a third one and PNM Mom thanked her but said they thought they had it covered.

Third Alum got extremely upset and wanted to know why they didn't want her to write a rec. She insisted that her sorority has a point system in which the girls get extra points for more recs. (Betting here that the SEC chapters would die if they read that.) I think she pulled that out of her rear.

Anyway, Third Alum is being unpleasant enough that they're afraid that she might try to tank the PNM's rush. How would you deal with this situation?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-29-2015, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

She sounds pretty prickly. She doesn't have to have the PNM's permission to write one, so it's better to play ball, so she doesn't get mad and send in a "no rec." I don't even think I'd suggest a letter of support as a compromise -- I'd just graciously thank her for her expertise and let her write it.

Soothing her hurt feelings is more important than having the chapter get an extra rec. From her view, she's hoping PNM will become her sister and she wants to play a role. I say, let her.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 06-29-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
She sounds pretty prickly. She doesn't have to have the PNM's permission to write one, so it's better to play ball, so she doesn't get mad and send in a "no rec." I don't even think I'd suggest a letter of support as a compromise -- I'd just graciously thank her for her expertise and let her write it.

Soothing her hurt feelings is more important than having the chapter get an extra rec. From her view, she's hoping PNM will become her sister and she wants to play a role. I say, let her.
I agree with Sciencewoman - the extra rec couldn't hurt, but declining the extra rec could.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with the posters above, but my word, what a whacked out alumna!
Old 06-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

I can't imagine why she would say that her GLO gives extra points for each rec. The SEC chapters would probably collapse under the weight of all the recs and would you want to be the recruitment chair if that were so?
Old 06-29-2015, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Tell her to pull out her best acting skills and tell the prickly alumna...

"Oh, my GOODNESS... we had no idea that kind of point system existed! We are so grateful for your advice. What would my Little Miss PNM have done without you? We would appreciate your recommendation so much!"

I think sucking up and a little flattery will go a long way to be sure that this alumna fires off a good recommendation.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Totally agree - flatter, flatter, flatter, make it look like you're a dumb newb with no idea, make crazy pants feel like the most knowledgeable thing on planet earth and have her send in the rec.

+1

"My apologies. We're so overwhelmed trying to figure out this whole recruitment thing and there's so much that we don't know about the process. Thank you so much for offering your guidance. We would very much appreciate your recommendation!"

True and Constant
Old 06-29-2015, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I can't imagine why she would say that her GLO gives extra points for each rec. The SEC chapters would probably collapse under the weight of all the recs and would you want to be the recruitment chair if that were so?
Well, I was going to put "expertise" in sarcastic quotation marks, but I decided not to. Until now. I don't think that well-intentioned, but out-of-the-loop, alumnae are that unusual (judging from some of the questions we get here).

I think the alumna "volunteer" who is our Alumnae Recommendation Coordinator (ARC) for Alabama has a full-time job on her hands. Seriously...I think she must need a truck to deliver the recs!
Old 06-29-2015, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Absolutely, Sciencewoman! And just think about this. If by some weird fluke every Alabama PNM got 2 recs each that would be approximately 4600 pieces of mail to EACH CHAPTER!!!!!!!!!!! Open, read, sort, file, etc, etc, etc...just going to the mailbox is overwhelming
Old 06-29-2015, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

bump

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Totally agree - flatter, flatter, flatter, make it look like you're a dumb newb with no idea, make crazy pants feel like the most knowledgeable thing on planet earth and have her send in the rec.
Yep. And send a handwritten thank you note after a little time has elapsed.