GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 977
1 members and 976 guests
zavictoiajnr131
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Starting A Sorority (HELP!!)

Hey, Im new to this so I'm browsing a bit to find my answer but just in case I don't I decided to ask.....

I am in a social group that promotes plus size beauty and self esteem, a few of us wanted to branch off and start a sorority because the group just deal with modeling and fashion, some of us actually want to make a difference in our community. Now I could have pledge at my school but my school doesn't have one because it's a school for working adults and I'm a single mom.

We tried to join a chapter that had the same ideas as us but they are located so far from us and expected us to travel for initiations and etc, all our contacts would be through phone and email, so we decided to start one ourselves, some of us are in school like myself and then some aren't some are working professionals.

So what would be the first step for us?

Thanks..
Old 06-05-2006, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Have you considered starting a chapter of the sorority that you liked?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not a single mom, I have my husband to help and I would not have time to worry about starting a sorority. There are priorities, and when your a single mom, I would say starting a sorority ranks about 500th on the list. If there really are several people in your postion...how about a CLUB??
Old 06-05-2006, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Check out the locals board. But agreeing with the above poster, starting a sorority is a lot of effort...
Old 06-05-2006, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Wasn't there a plus size sorority started recently? I know that there is a thread around here somewhere about that...
Old 06-05-2006, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
I'm not a single mom, I have my husband to help and I would not have time to worry about starting a sorority. There are priorities, and when your a single mom, I would say starting a sorority ranks about 500th on the list. If there really are several people in your postion...how about a CLUB??
I understand what you are saying, and trust me I have tons of priorities and I'm on top of all of them. The first thing I thought about was if I was going to have time to start one being that I have a child, I have a job, etc and I do, Im not the only single mother who wants to start it, most of us are grown women with kids and our kids can be involved, but I don't know why I'm explaining this to you..
Old 06-05-2006, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoyred
Wasn't there a plus size sorority started recently? I know that there is a thread around here somewhere about that...
There is one, but it's not local the main chapter is in Florida, Im in the D.C area, and the closet chapter to me is Philidelphia. They want us to travel to them for initiations and what not, and all contact is through email and it seem like our responses were not met when we tried to contact them, there are to many hoops to go through so we decided to start our own.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Absolut_Andrea
There is one, but it's not local the main chapter is in Florida, Im in the D.C area, and the closet chapter to me is Philidelphia. They want us to travel to them for initiations and what not, and all contact is through email and it seem like our responses were not met when we tried to contact them, there are to many hoops to go through so we decided to start our own.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are too many loops to go through when starting your own sorority. And when it comes to pledging an already existing, relatively young organization, travel is going to be a part of the process. If you want it you work for it/do what it takes to attain the goal.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, and trust me I have tons of priorities and I'm on top of all of them. The first thing I thought about was if I was going to have time to start one being that I have a child, I have a job, etc and I do, Im not the only single mother who wants to start it, most of us are grown women with kids and our kids can be involved, but I don't know why I'm explaining this to you..

Kids involved?? Like I said before, you're not looking for a sorority, you're looking for a C-L-U-B. Call it the Mu Omicron Mu Club, have t-shirts made, knock yourselves out.

Really, why are you looking specifically at a sorority??
Old 06-05-2006, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ch2tf
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are too many loops to go through when starting your own sorority. And when it comes to pledging an already existing, relatively young organization, travel is going to be a part of the process. If you want it you work for it/do what it takes to attain the goal.
I understand what you're saying, but is it possible to branch off from a local sorority. I'm able to pledge at Howard only because my school has no chapter, hell no social organizations at all, but the other females aren't because most are not in school like me. I did think about doing the whole club thing but I'm already in one, and they are just about fashion and modeling, and partying, I wanted to actually reach out to the community..
Old 06-05-2006, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to zchi2
Quote:
Kids involved?? Like I said before, you're not looking for a sorority, you're looking for a C-L-U-B. Call it the Mu Omicron Mu Club, have t-shirts made, knock yourselves out.

Actually there is already a sorority called "Mu Omicron Mu. Sorry I don't have the address to the website but I'm sure the resourceful people on this site can find it for you
Old 06-05-2006, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I wanted to join a sorority because of the sisterhood, the networking and to help change my community. Like I said in a previous post I can join through another school being that I'm still a traditional college student, but the others cant. All the negativity your'e giving is not really called for.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I did think about doing the whole club thing but I'm already in one, and they are just about fashion and modeling, and partying, I wanted to actually reach out to the community..
That's one great thing about clubs, they are not exclusive of eachother like sororities are. You can be in however many clubs you want to be in. And, if you're having a problem with the one you're in now, you can leave that one and join or start a different one, no big deal. No so with a sorority.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I wanted to join a sorority because of the sisterhood, the networking and to help change my community. Like I said in a previous post I can join through another school being that I'm still a traditional college student, but the others cant. All the negativity your'e giving is not really called for.
So in other words, your sorority won't be campus based?

There are already several sororities for adult women like this.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There's a difference between being negative and being realistic.
Closed Thread