GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,264
3 members and 2,261 guests
aaidativanovoz6, Sen's Revenge

Old 08-12-2012, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

The OSS/IS discussion could go on and on and on. Truly it will be apparent which chapters are partial to in state/ particular city girls when the bid sheets come out in the morning. Having attended Auburn, and being an active alum, I don't have to see the bid sheets, I already know.

I told my dau and all the girls that I wrote rec's for that it all works out for the best. They will find a chapter that they like and will be happy in. The pre-Rush hype for some chapters is just that, hype. In the end, all the chapters at Auburn are great, and it is a great greek system.

I hope all the girls/mom's affiliated on this thread will have happy outcomes tomorrow!! And after all, we are ALL IN!! War Eagle!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
Some chapters skew towards a particular state, town, high school or region. This is a fact at many schools, even those outside of the SEC. One simply has to look at the bid lists to see it. It's human nature to give the benefit of the doubt to those you already know or know of. That doesn't mean OOS PNMs can't receive bids at some schools. It does mean their options may be more limited and keeping an open mind is even more important.

As far as legacies are concerned, I am personally uncomfortable about public conversations discussing their appearance on the bid lists.

Firstly, I think it's important to recognize that policies may vary between groups, both with whether the legacy is automatically on a bid list as well as whether a group has chosen to make that information public.

Secondly, I've been seeing a disconnect regarding legacies at some of the chapters I advise and it's coming from the alumnae side. PNMs are coming into recruitment misinformed about their legacy status, believing that certain relationships make them a legacy when they don't. The worst part is that it's their alumnae relative that's misinforming them. We're also not receiving legacy forms when we should because a growing number of alumnae seem to believe actives are psychic and should know snowflake is a legacy. We don't hear from the angry alumna until after snowflake's been released and she wants to know why we dared to do it.
^We talked about this in another thread, but "no rec form for the legacy" is my fave. As if in the middle of prepping for recruitment and doing tons of things, the actives are supposed to remember that Suzie is a legacy. I can MAYBE see that working out if the parent is highly involved, but the parent who usually doesn't send the form is the alumna who hasn't been involved, yet somehow expects the red carpet to be rolled out for her kid.

The thread:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...gacy+daughters

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting talk about all these legacies "having" to be first on pref lists. What if all the other houses have dropped her because she's a legacy and our house is the only house that she's preffing? Seems to me that it would make much more sense to put that legacy (or any other woman that's only preffing our house) at the bottom of our bid list, since we know she's going to come to us anyway for maximizing her options. This gives us the opportunity to get the rest of the women we want as well, possibly quota plus...
Old 08-12-2012, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey View Post
Interesting talk about all these legacies "having" to be first on pref lists. What if all the other houses have dropped her because she's a legacy and our house is the only house that she's preffing? Seems to me that it would make much more sense to put that legacy (or any other woman that's only preffing our house) at the bottom of our bid list, since we know she's going to come to us anyway for maximizing her options. This gives us the opportunity to get the rest of the women we want as well, possibly quota plus...
I guess it depends on how seriously you take your national or international policies. For many of us, those rules do mean a chapter "has" to do something.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Titchou-----I have a question about that completely complicated program they use for bids. Does it mean also that most chapters fill their quota? Or are some left with open bids to distribute later Just wondering.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Chapters have no idea who a PNM is preffing or how many chapters she is preffing unless the PNM actually tells them.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

AUmom2012, RFM helps all chapters achieve quota over time but in any given rush it doesn't make a difference. It helps over time because girls seem to be more open to their options once they realize their choices are limited. The early cuts do really suck, but it's better for the girls in the long run when they get cut early by the chapters who weren't going to pledge them anyway. But the computer program doesn't provide the chapters with girls who simply aren't there. The rushees have to have been at their parties and have to have put them high enough on their list that the chapters get the girls they want.

The process is very complicated, but is less fraught with problems than back when there was a very human element involved. And requiring chapters to cut to a certain level really is better for the rushees in the long run.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Chapters have no idea who a PNM is preffing or how many chapters she is preffing unless the PNM actually tells them.
Right. But you don't think the sisters have been taught how to casually ask "have you enjoyed your other parties today?" to get an idea if we are their only pref party or not? Not to mention that many PNMs do actually spill that information, without much prompting.

Just saying.... If I were on [insert your orgs membership selection committee name here], I'd be putting all the "only preffed my chapter" PNMs at the bottom of my bid list, so we can try to fill quota with other gals we want first, and pick up all the 1 pref party girls (that we're aware of) with quota plus when they maximize their options.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
One thing about the OOOOOLD way that I liked. Back in the day we got everyone's lists.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^We talked about this in another thread, but "no rec form for the legacy" is my fave. As if in the middle of prepping for recruitment and doing tons of things, the actives are supposed to remember that Suzie is a legacy. I can MAYBE see that working out if the parent is highly involved, but the parent who usually doesn't send the form is the alumna who hasn't been involved, yet somehow expects the red carpet to be rolled out for her kid.
Maybe these mothers didn't participate personally in a giant computer managed recruitment? I was a PNM in 1982, if I hadn't helped with recruitment from time to time over the last 20 years, including the last three, I would have no clue as a "Legacy Mom." Those legacy forms are ABSOLUTELY necessary. Still something tells me the moms that don't turn in a legacy form aren't reading Greek Chat either.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 08-13-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Right. But you don't think the sisters have been taught how to casually ask "have you enjoyed your other parties today?" to get an idea if we are their only pref party or not? Not to mention that many PNMs do actually spill that information, without much prompting.

Just saying.... If I were on [insert your orgs membership selection committee name here], I'd be putting all the "only preffed my chapter" PNMs at the bottom of my bid list, so we can try to fill quota with other gals we want first, and pick up all the 1 pref party girls (that we're aware of) with quota plus when they maximize their options.
If I were a PNM, I might be tempted to game the system to maximize my pref options. I might not list my legacies on my resume/registration, but I would make sure that my legacy forms were turned in to the chapters. That way individual chapters would know that I am a legacy, but no other chapters would know that I am a legacy. (If I'm in an in-house legacy and then people might know my sister, but this could work if my legacy is through my mom or grandma.)
Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Hahaha, you're right. I will add this to my list of reasons that I think unlimited QA's are not all they are cracked up to be.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
If I were a PNM, I might be tempted to game the system to maximize my pref options. I might not list my legacies on my resume/registration, but I would make sure that my legacy forms were turned in to the chapters. That way individual chapters would know that I am a legacy, but no other chapters would know that I am a legacy. (If I'm in an in-house legacy and then people might know my sister, but this could work if my legacy is through my mom or grandma.)
If your legacy house is not on campus then I would definitely mention it as GLO legacies can be a +1 (or whatever) in a chapter's PNM computer ranking system. To not mention it might shave potential points off a PNM? Yeah it could.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
If your legacy house is not on campus then I would definitely mention it as GLO legacies can be a +1 (or whatever) in a chapter's PNM computer ranking system. To not mention it might shave potential points off a PNM? Yeah it could.
Mentioning a legacy that is not on campus is similar to mentioning a dad or brother who is Greek. It says "my family is familiar with Greek life and supports my decision to rush". This may not be important at a rush where recs are mandatory and all that, but it is certainly a positive in recruitments where women sign up same day and lack of family support can be a huge problem when it comes to retaining NM's.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUmom2012 View Post
Titchou-----I have a question about that completely complicated program they use for bids. Does it mean also that most chapters fill their quota? Or are some left with open bids to distribute later Just wondering.
Titchou must not have seen your question.
YES, and that is one of the best blessings of using RFM - more chapters reach quota and sometimes beyond, and more women are pledged.
There is no such thing as "open bids to distribute later."
If a chapter has openings - and this is really based on average chapter size rather than a recruitment quota - the chapter may use Continuous Open Bidding (COB, or by its old term, open rush) to fill those slots. This often happens for some of the smaller groups, and will sometimes happen now that so many students graduate in December.
But you cannot count on any chapters - large or small - having spaces available.