GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,366
0 members and 1,366 guests
No Members online

Old 01-18-2009, 05:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Starting a new sorority help!

Hello Ladies,
I know there is a million of these on the site (I've looked through most)

I am looking to start a sorority.
There is no Greek life at the school (except one Fraternity that is attempting to start)
It's an Art School, and even though I have spent a good deal of time looking into different Sororities, I haven't found any "art based" ones or anything based on creativity.
I was just wondering if any of you knew of any Sororities that are art based or creativity based so we can branch off and bring them to campus rather than invent an entirely new sorority.

There is a very large number of girls on campus who would love to have a sorority on campus, so interest won't be a problem, and most of the girls were involved in Greek life before switching to a specialty school.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
For starters, there's a "Locals" forum where this could have been posted.

And, I'm not sure what kinds of arts you are referring to. Digital art, music, painting, drama, but I'm a member of Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity for Women. Music is an art. There is also Phi Beta. It's very small nationally and it's co-ed, but it's a fraternity for people studying the creative or performing arts. Their website if phibeta.com. It won't come up for me...maybe it's down or something.

Good luck!

ETA: I found a website for the Phi chapter of Phi Beta. There is information there on how to start a chapter if you would be interested in doing so.

ETA: I just looked at the Phi chapter website again and it looks like it hasn't been updated in 5 years.

Last edited by AlwaysSAI; 01-18-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanLyn7 View Post
(snip) so interest won't be a problem, and most of the girls were involved in Greek life before switching to a specialty school.

Thanks
Depending on what you mean by "involved in Greek life ..." you may have trouble with an existing "traditional" sorority. Most have requirements that you not have been initiated into another sorority previously.

You may be better off looking at the non-traditional, interest-based organizations, like Phi Beta and others.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:32 PM

If you're at the Art Institute of Name City Here, I honestly doubt (from what alums have told me) that you will have time for a sorority.

There's no point in starting something just to wear letters and have parties unless it's actually going to be a force on campus.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:34 PM

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=93174

Also, all 26 NPC sororities have rules against taking women who were previously initiated into another NPC sorority, keep that in mind especially since you say that there are interested girls who were involved in Greek Life at other schools.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=93174

Also, all 26 NPC sororities have rules against taking women who were previously initiated into another NPC sorority, keep that in mind especially since you say that there are interested girls who were involved in Greek Life at other schools.
I could be wrong here, but if she is talking about starting a sorority for the arts specifically, then couldn't previous NPC girls join, as long as the new sorority is not an NPC? As far as I know there aren't any Art NPCs. But like I said, I could be wrong...
Old 01-18-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyAnne17 View Post
I could be wrong here, but if she is talking about starting a sorority for the arts specifically, then couldn't previous NPC girls join, as long as the new sorority is not an NPC?
Yes, they could. I was just making that point for informational purposes (in case it is an NPC that she is talking about wanting to start).

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyAnne17 View Post
I could be wrong here, but if she is talking about starting a sorority for the arts specifically, then couldn't previous NPC girls join, as long as the new sorority is not an NPC? As far as I know there aren't any Art NPCs. But like I said, I could be wrong...
It would also depend on the membership policy of that group. I've read here on GC that some organizations will not initiate someone if they've been already initiated into another organization (NPC or not NPC).
Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Each chapter of a national sorority has its own personality. There are some "art schools that have fairly strong greek life on the campus" ie Pratt Institute in NY".

If you are interested in starting an NPC group ahead and do it. There is nothing wrong with having a group of women who love art and do social events together that involve art but are still part of an NPC group.

Talk to your student life office about reaching out to npc... www.npcwomen.org they will help you get the ball rolling. Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAGirlie View Post
Each chapter of a national sorority has its own personality. There are some "art schools that have fairly strong greek life on the campus" ie Pratt Institute in NY".

If you are interested in starting an NPC group ahead and do it. There is nothing wrong with having a group of women who love art and do social events together that involve art but are still part of an NPC group.

Talk to your student life office about reaching out to npc... www.npcwomen.org they will help you get the ball rolling. Good Luck!
Have you not bothered to read any of the posts above? She says that most of the girls interested were Greek at their former campus. If they were NPC members, there's NWIH they'd be able to join a new NPC group on campus -- unless it were their own.

Read this thread if you haven't done so already: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=93174

Bringing an NPC to campus isn't as easy as you make it sound. And by the way, just because Pratt has 2 NPC groups on campus, I wouldn't be so quick to assume they have a fairly strong Greek Life.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Note: NPC does not assist people with bringing NPCs to campus. If the ladies there have an interest group going, they can contact a specific NPC sorority that they're interested in, but it is up to the sorority to decide if expansion to an art school is something they'd like to pursue.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello...

I am the National Vice President of Extension for my sorority and we have a chapter at Pratt I can speak to extension for Theta Phi Alpha and our chapter at Pratt and its ever improving greek life.

In addition the women never stated that the women were npc or a local. Having the someone in student life contact npc to let us know (ie something in a bulletin) there is a group or potential of one who may be considering extension is not inappropriate. It is more appropriate than contacting random NPC groups to see if someone would like to affliate with them. I just wanted to give the women a different perspective.... not trying to start any trouble.

Sorry : )
Old 01-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Hello...

I am the National Vice President of Extension for my sorority and we have a chapter at Pratt I can speak to extension for Theta Phi Alpha and our chapter at Pratt and its ever improving greek life.
Quote:

In addition the women never stated that the women were npc or a local. Having the someone in student life contact npc to let us know (ie something in a bulletin) there is a group or potential of one who may be considering extension is not inappropriate. It is more appropriate than contacting random NPC groups to see if someone would like to affliate with them. I just wanted to give the women a different perspective.... not trying to start any trouble.

Sorry : )
What does Pratt have anything to do with this? The OP never mentioned her school. It's an art school, but it's not Pratt.

Funny. You don't sound like the other VP-Extensions we have here. There's a lot of them here, and it's interesting how they haven't said the same things you've said.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Sometimes things just don’t need a comment but I agree with OTW. Bringing an NPC to campus does not happen overnight, not that any other inter/national group does either.

I just figured that if the OP would be interested in an NPC member group, she would go to the NPC web site, link provided by TPAGirlie, and get the extension materials. It details the process step-by-step. The NPC Extension Chair can help to facilitate the process by speaking with university officials and so forth at the appropriate time. However, those types of mechanics can get confusing on a message board so sometimes it’s best to just go to the NPC web site first. Download and read the materials and then ask questions but that doesn’t always happen.