GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 319,157
Threads: 114,997
Posts: 2,178,769
Welcome to our newest member, Nathan122
» Online Users: 200
0 members and 200 guests
No Members online
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-14-2021, 09:53 PM
OnAMission OnAMission is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 14
I might have found where I want my letters to be!

I know that it's a big no-no to say where you're planning on expressing interest, but I am just so excited about the fact that I think I found the place I want to call my sisterhood!

How did you know that you had found your org when you did? What were your feelings?

If there was a specific org that you were planning on rushing from day 1, what was your reason behind it? If you researched a number of them first, what were the things that you were looking for in one to join?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-17-2021, 11:53 AM
1964Alum 1964Alum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 291
Back in the Stone Age when I rushed, our rush was deferred for a year. Had I rushed as a Freshman immediately coming to a large university and rushing at that time, my experience would quite likely have been different. But I had a year to look over the six Panhellenic sororities as they also had that time to look over perspective members. Ialso researched carefully the activities outside their sororities that the various members were involved in. I did also look at the national reputations that all six groups had. This for life after college. I had also already met many of the girls and had a pretty good idea of their reputations on campus and what their priorities were. Mine were high standards of academic achievement, high standards of reputation, diversity within the groups in terms of majors, interests, and the like, and well-rounded members. I decided that I would likely be happy in any of my top three groups, and indeed all three invited me to their preference. Chi Omega was my first choice from the get-go, and I felt very fortunate that they extended me a bid. But my other pref group was a close second. And the group that I declined their invitation to for pref was right up there. Honestly, any of these would have been a good group for me. BUT!!!!! I also kept a very open mind, knowing I was in a very competitive situation and took nothing for granted! There were many, many high quality young women rushing and very few slots to fill. That was before the days of RFM and a very high likelihood of being placed. I did not assume anything and think that it is a very bad idea to do so, both then and now. IMO it is very important to know who you are in terms of your values and what you hope to have in a sorority experience. I wish you the best!
__________________
...to be womanly always; to be discouraged never...

Chi Omega
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-18-2021, 04:53 PM
GoldBows GoldBows is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 71
I think it's important to research each organization prior to going through recruitment, but I would really advise you to still keep an open mind. I also did my research prior to rush and had my top two sororities picked out - one because their philanthropy is something deeply personal and important to me, and the other because I knew some of the girls and thought I had a lot in common with them, and that I would fit in really well. But when I did go through recruitment I didn't feel at home with either of those organizations and instead found my home in a sorority I hadn't really put much thought into. My organization's philanthropies are not causes I would have been passionate about until I joined, and I didn't know any of my sisters before recruitment. But I remember, from the very first recruitment event that I just felt like this was the place for me - these were my people. It was an instant, natural connection. The first girl I spoke to wound up being my big and I'm forever grateful to have her in my life. So do your research but don't let it blind you from other organizations.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-18-2021, 05:08 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBows View Post
I think it's important to research each organization prior to going through recruitment, but I would really advise you to still keep an open mind. I also did my research prior to rush and had my top two sororities picked out - one because their philanthropy is something deeply personal and important to me, and the other because I knew some of the girls and thought I had a lot in common with them, and that I would fit in really well. But when I did go through recruitment I didn't feel at home with either of those organizations and instead found my home in a sorority I hadn't really put much thought into. My organization's philanthropies are not causes I would have been passionate about until I joined, and I didn't know any of my sisters before recruitment. But I remember, from the very first recruitment event that I just felt like this was the place for me - these were my people. It was an instant, natural connection. The first girl I spoke to wound up being my big and I'm forever grateful to have her in my life. So do your research but don't let it blind you from other organizations.
I believe OnAMission is looking at non-NPC orgs, so this advice may not really apply here.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-18-2021, 11:04 PM
OnAMission OnAMission is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964Alum View Post
Back in the Stone Age when I rushed, our rush was deferred for a year. Had I rushed as a Freshman immediately coming to a large university and rushing at that time, my experience would quite likely have been different. But I had a year to look over the six Panhellenic sororities as they also had that time to look over perspective members. Ialso researched carefully the activities outside their sororities that the various members were involved in. I did also look at the national reputations that all six groups had. This for life after college. I had also already met many of the girls and had a pretty good idea of their reputations on campus and what their priorities were. Mine were high standards of academic achievement, high standards of reputation, diversity within the groups in terms of majors, interests, and the like, and well-rounded members. I decided that I would likely be happy in any of my top three groups, and indeed all three invited me to their preference. Chi Omega was my first choice from the get-go, and I felt very fortunate that they extended me a bid. But my other pref group was a close second. And the group that I declined their invitation to for pref was right up there. Honestly, any of these would have been a good group for me. BUT!!!!! I also kept a very open mind, knowing I was in a very competitive situation and took nothing for granted! There were many, many high quality young women rushing and very few slots to fill. That was before the days of RFM and a very high likelihood of being placed. I did not assume anything and think that it is a very bad idea to do so, both then and now. IMO it is very important to know who you are in terms of your values and what you hope to have in a sorority experience. I wish you the best!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBows View Post
I think it's important to research each organization prior to going through recruitment, but I would really advise you to still keep an open mind. I also did my research prior to rush and had my top two sororities picked out - one because their philanthropy is something deeply personal and important to me, and the other because I knew some of the girls and thought I had a lot in common with them, and that I would fit in really well. But when I did go through recruitment I didn't feel at home with either of those organizations and instead found my home in a sorority I hadn't really put much thought into. My organization's philanthropies are not causes I would have been passionate about until I joined, and I didn't know any of my sisters before recruitment. But I remember, from the very first recruitment event that I just felt like this was the place for me - these were my people. It was an instant, natural connection. The first girl I spoke to wound up being my big and I'm forever grateful to have her in my life. So do your research but don't let it blind you from other organizations.
I'm a nontraditional (online) and older student, currently pursuing my masters, so my choices are much more limited to begin with.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-19-2021, 08:30 AM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 12,689
Online? Oh gee, I bet I know where she'll end up.
__________________
WARR EAGLE!!! WOOO PIG! SOOIE!! HAIL STATE!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-19-2021, 10:30 AM
honeychile's Avatar
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 28,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Online? Oh gee, I bet I know where she'll end up.
LOL! Yes, should be a very big surprise!
__________________
~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-19-2021, 03:20 PM
OnAMission OnAMission is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Online? Oh gee, I bet I know where she'll end up.
Where's that?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-19-2021, 09:58 PM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 4,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAMission View Post
Where's that?
There are only a few groups that meet your criteria and situation.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-20-2021, 12:53 AM
OnAMission OnAMission is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
There are only a few groups that meet your criteria and situation.
Collegiate, thatís true. Non collegiate, there are quite a number of options!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-20-2021, 06:59 AM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 4,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAMission View Post
Collegiate, thatís true. Non collegiate, there are quite a number of options!
Considering NPC, Divine 9 and MCGs, that lets out about 40 or so...so it's a generous number...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-20-2021, 08:18 PM
OnAMission OnAMission is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Considering NPC, Divine 9 and MCGs, that lets out about 40 or so...so it's a generous number...
I have no interest in NPC. maybe an alumi chapter of a D9 Org or MCG...but like I said, there are many options out there for someone in my position, just not many collegiate ones.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just found out something odd... Lagniappe Sorority Recruitment 4 07-30-2015 05:31 PM
Greek letters / spelling out letters RCM2020 Chapter Operations 36 08-10-2013 09:13 PM
To Found or not to Found? A Frat/Sorority for the underground. Solatika Greek Life 8 09-04-2008 05:56 PM
Found letters on the most unusual place: Sigma Kappa queequek Greek Life 7 07-21-2003 02:26 PM
It's Found bgsugirlie Chit Chat 4 12-29-2002 06:20 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.