GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,724
1 members and 1,723 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 05-14-2021, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
REALLY!?! I had no idea about Kutztown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Kutztown did this in the 80s and it didn’t stick.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the school, there are no houses on campus, housing is not at a premium (ie people do not join GLOs as a means to a housing end) and half of the groups are local and have been around longer than the nationals (ie “we won’t be national anymore!!” is not an innately terrifying thought).

This is probably the dumbest decision the school could have made. There are probably a good amount of people in the system who are glad the school is “out of their hair.”
Old 05-14-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
REALLY!?! I had no idea about Kutztown.
Actually it was probably more like the 70s. I know we opened a chapter there around 86-87 and it was when Greeks were coming back. I’ll see if I can find any info on it.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This story came out much later in the day yesterday, almost as if they were backpedaling off of the death of a student story, which they were using as their justification.
Back pedaling is RIGHT!

Now the story is "Montour County Coroner Scott E. Lynn said in an email to The Inquirer that Burke’s death “is not considered suspicious nor was it trauma related, and nothing nefarious was involved. We are looking at a potential undiagnosed medical condition which requires further testing.”

SO it is possible that nothing that happened at the fraternity house led to the young woman's death. But let's not let a tragedy go to waste....
Old 05-14-2021, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This story came out much later in the day yesterday, almost as if they were backpedaling off of the death of a student story, which they were using as their justification. After speaking to some other folks, it appears that ALL GREEKS are gone, including groups like APO or Phi Sigma Pi. I don't know which of those actually still exist there anyway.
Alpha Phi Omega at Bloomsburg was in good standing with the Alpha Phi Omega national office at least as of last Friday (5/7) (the last time the perpetual inventory status sheets were generated) and had a good size chapter prior to covid (more than 50 brothers)

BTW, archive.org's most recent storage of the Fraternity and Sorority life page is at https://web.archive.org/web/20201203...-sorority-life

Neither APO nor Phi Sigma Pi are listed there as part of the system. I *guess* they got hit due to the fact that they aren't *automatic* entry groups (like Psi Chi, just to pick one that seems to fit it at Bloomberg https://intranet.bloomu.edu/psychology-psi-chi ).
Old 05-15-2021, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It means ALL local and national NPC, NIC, NPHC, MGC social organizations
Hmmm... are we sure the ban applied to NPHC and MGC organizations, or perhaps someone just forgot about this page?

https://intranet.bloomu.edu/multicultural-organizations
Old 05-15-2021, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

I would assume that there will be legal challenges if they don't apply that to everyone.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Hmmm... are we sure the ban applied to NPHC and MGC organizations, or perhaps someone just forgot about this page?

https://intranet.bloomu.edu/multicultural-organizations
Given the overlap at the National level between the NIC, NPHC and NALFO, a ban of all NIC would knock out at least 3 or 4 of them (I think the only NPHC fraternity not also in the NIC is Omega Psi Phi)

Also, have talked to the member of the Alpha Phi Omega board of directors for the area that includes Bloomberg, according to them, as of Thursday, Alpha Phi Omega Service fraternity is not being caught up in this.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
You know, if they're going to indict the whole greek system of this college, isn't that an indictment of the school as a whole? And if the school is at fault isn't that an indictment of our country? Well, I for one, am not going to sit here and let them badmouth the United States of America!

p a w e a since 1899
Old 05-16-2021, 08:57 AM

Thanks all of you for your comments and support. As Bloomsburg is my alma mater AND I serve as the president of the Bloomsburg Greek Alumni Advisory Council (I guess that’s served now!), this whole shitstorm has been brewing for a long time. The story is so long and convoluted, but needless to say, we are not going to just pack up our toys and go home. Bloomsburg has suspended 8 chapters in two years, and justifiably so. Some of these groups were hazing like no other, following no risk management policies and the locals operated without insurance or a care in the world. For 20 years, the old Greek Advisor claimed there was no problem while we alumni continued to point out the hazing, the taking of underground new members and the unrecognized chapters continuing to operate and hurt those of us who followed the rules and remained recognized. They did nothing. Two years ago, we FINALLY got a Greek Life director who saw the big picture. First new person in that role in 20 years. The suspensions started and we supported them because they were for real reasons. But the sad part is that these kids were just operating like they had for the last 20 ears when nobody gave a shit and they did whatever they wanted.

The University has taken ZERO of the blame for the way the Greek System had become. Administration, including the President of the University, came out and said they were on board with change and were going to make Greek Life better. The only person who followed through was the new Director. So now, here we are with no recognition and a new student code of conduct saying that if you associate with fraternities or sororities, you will be held to the code of conduct and punished. I don’t know how that whole thing is gonna work.

I will say none of our nationals have revoked any charters and I am hoping they will be supporting our continuation along with NPC. We are still going to fight to keep our chapters so say some prayers it all works. As for the fraternities, well there weren’t very many left after all the suspensions, and the ones that were left were in shambles for the most part. Three were on interim suspension for rules violations when the shit down occurred, waiting for their judicial processes to be completed and three others were the only ones left standing. I don’t know if NIC can help them, but I hope for their sake they get some support finally.

Last edited by shadokat; 05-16-2021 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 05-16-2021, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

shadokat,
THANK YOU for caring enough to fight the “good fight” for the very survival of Greek Life at your Alma mater—and perhaps ultimately—at many campuses.

I hope you have some fellow like-minded Greek alums behind you. This would, indeed, be a lonely fight to have without back-up. And in this situation it would be very easy—and understandable—to just say: “Okay, we’ve been at this for years, and I’m DONE...”

Bless you and GOOD LUCK. Please keep us in the loop.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Shadokat,

Thank you!
Old 05-17-2021, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Shadokat, I wish you good luck in fighting to keep these orgs alive!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 05-17-2021, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Good luck Shadokat.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 05-17-2021, 01:39 PM

Today this article appeared in Inside Higher Ed. It was fantastic to see my executive director speak out honestly about how Bloomsburg did this.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...ths-misconduct

As for your kind comments, thank you. There are some like-minded folks who are joining the fight. Three Greek alums who serve on the University Alumni Association have resigned because of this already. There are also MANY Greek alumni who are of the mindset that this is great because now we don't have the University breathing down our necks. That side is concerning, as many groups who had already been suspended prior to the shut down have continued to operate as if nothing changed, and some of them are national organizations. I really wish there was some way for the national organizations who revoke charters to stop the chapters from continuing to operate with their letters.

Anyway, this is surely far from over. The one reason I keep fighting is because my sorority experience was one of the best things I gained from my undergraduate experience, and it has only provided me with more great opportunities as an alum. That opportunity shouldn't be taken away from current undergraduates. I know that there were groups who were likely going to get thrown out for hazing or risk management violations, etc., and I'm ok with that. But to cancel everyone because other groups did wrong is not the answer.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:27 PM

Oh, I completely forgot to mention that for clarification, all social Greeks under the office of Fraternity and Sorority Life are gone. This includes NPC, NIC, NPHC and local groups. The listing on the multicultural center's page as missed by the web team. Groups such as Alpha Phi Omega and Phi Sigma Pi do not fall under the office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, and as such are still recognized. I do know that Phi Sigma Pi has had previously "trouble" with the University, as they act much like a social organization.