GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,244
1 members and 1,243 guests
AOIIalum

Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Can I rush this Fall if I signed a pref card and then dropped?

Hi everyone! I'm Gaby.
So here's my story. I rushed my freshman year of college and got into a sorority. At that time, I really wasn't into the party scene or even greek life in general. I think I signed a pref card, but I was never initiated. Am I still allowed to rush this Fall (a year later)? I really think Greek life is for me now!
Also, do you think I have less chance of getting a bid since I rushed last year?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielleNM View Post
Hi everyone! I'm Gaby.
So here's my story. I rushed my freshman year of college and got into a sorority. At that time, I really wasn't into the party scene or even greek life in general. I think I signed a pref card, but I was never initiated. Am I still allowed to rush this Fall (a year later)? I really think Greek life is for me now!
Also, do you think I have less chance of getting a bid since I rushed last year?
As long as you were not initiated you won't be bound by the unanimous agreement anymore since it has been a year, but don't count on the sororities looking at you the same way as a first time rushing freshman. How bad they look at you will depend on your school.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

You can rush if you signed a pref card. It is only binding for one year.

However, no one can predict your chances of getting a bid in the fall. If its a big school, chances are that only the group you dropped would remember you. If it is a big school, then your chances may be less due to sophomore standing. It may come up, but it probably won't be a big thing unless it's a small school with a tight knit greek community. Again, we don't know and there's no way you could know either.

Just be cordial about it. If you didn't feel like you were suited greek life last year and feel you are better suited to it now, it's fine to say so. People are allowed to grow and change their mind.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisigma212 View Post
However, no one can predict your chances of getting a bid in the fall. If its a big school, chances are that only the group you dropped would remember you. If it is a big school, then your chances may be less due to sophomore standing. It may come up, but it probably won't be a big thing unless it's a small school with a tight knit greek community. Again, we don't know and there's no way you could know either.
Remember too that just because a group doesn't remember you doesn't mean they won't notice that you are rushing as a sophomore. Just make sure you have a very good answer as to why you chose not to pledge the sorority who bid you last year. Even at schools where upperclassmen are given bids relatively commonly, it will still stand out that you are not a freshman. As long as you answer the question maturely, though, it should be ok. Maybe something like, "Well, as a freshman I had the wrong impression of greek life. But after seeing what an amazing sisterhood each chapter has and doing some research, I know it's something I want to be a part of my life!"
Old 05-14-2012, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisigma212 View Post
If its a big school, chances are that only the group you dropped would remember you.
Not necessarily.

Her freshman year hall mates, class mates, PNM group, and friends would all be aware that for a few weeks she was wearing letters and participating in Greek Life, and then all of a sudden she wasn't. In addition, those from her hometown, those that she pledged with, and those that she participated in campus activities with would also know that she rushed, pledged and then dropped.

It only takes a handful of people to remember the situation, and word spreads quickly to the other groups. While the actives from last year's recruitment may not remember her I assure you that others in her freshman class will. Of course, those freshmen will be on-the-other-side come fall.

All that to say- OP you do need to be aware that this may have a negative impact with some groups and be ready for some heavy cuts. In addition, I would not try to hide the fact that you pledged. Getting caught being less than honest could spell disaster for your recruitment. As mentioned above, have a good answer (that does not criticize any groups on campus) as to why you depledged and what is different this year.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone! I go to one of the larger Big 10 schools, with about 10% of the school in the Greek Community. I also sent out an email with an explanation to the president of the chapter I got my previous bid from.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

What's past is past. It seems like you have great reasons for rushing again this time, so just go in, present your best, and hope for the best.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 PM

Just to make sure...you went through rush in Fall 2011, correct?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Not necessarily.

Her freshman year hall mates, class mates, PNM group, and friends would all be aware that for a few weeks she was wearing letters and participating in Greek Life, and then all of a sudden she wasn't. In addition, those from her hometown, those that she pledged with, and those that she participated in campus activities with would also know that she rushed, pledged and then dropped.
If she doesn't even know for sure if she signed a pref card, do you really think she was a NM for a few weeks?

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindawarren View Post
If she doesn't even know for sure if she signed a pref card, do you really think she was a NM for a few weeks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielleNM View Post
I rushed my freshman year of college and got into a sorority. At that time, I really wasn't into the party scene or even greek life in general.
Admittedly, the few weeks isn't clear. But, she did state in her title that she signed a pref card and then above she indicates that she got in.

My point was more to clarify that it would be much wider known than just by the older actives of the group that she dropped, as had been indicated earlier in the thread. Even if she decided on Bid Day that it wasn't for her, there are still going to be women on her campus who know. Word will spread fast as those few share that with their own chapters, their close friends in other chapters, etc.

I didn't want the OP to falsely believe that she could slide through recruitment this year without some/many/all chapters aware of her story. It serves her much better to be prepared to answer the inevitable questions.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Just to make sure...you went through rush in Fall 2011, correct?
Great minds 33.....I also want the OP to clarify that she went thru rush in the fall. If she joined in the spring, she would have to wait until spring the following year to rush.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Yep, I joined fall 2011
Old 05-15-2012, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I am definitely not planning on trying to 'hide' the fact that I accepted a bid. I think I have some pretty good reasons/explanations as to why I dropped and hopefully they will understand. I also have a very high college GPA, and I feel like I'm more settled. I think that should help too in getting a bid somewhere.
I also was a pledge for probably two weeks, maybe even less, and I never had a chance to wear letters or participate in much of anything.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all your help everyone!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

As I recall, it seems like some of our chapter/rush adviser GCers have said every time they encounter a non-freshman going through rush, they look her up in the archives to see if she has gone through rush before. That may not literally be possible with every girl going through at a Big 10 school since we're talking several hundred to pushing 1000 rushees every year. But the point still exists that even for the chapters she didn't pledge, there may be an alum going through and finding out what's what. That doesn't mean the OP is in trouble, just that she isn't invisible.