GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,378
2 members and 2,376 guests
TLLK

Old 06-06-2002, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, this happen about 4 years ago when i rushed at ECU. I was at the AOPi house the first day and they had virgin margaritas. The rusher was soo nervous she went to hand me the cup ( plastci margarita glasses) and dropped it on me!!! IT WAS MY SECOND PARTY ( i had 6 more that day and i didn't have a break to go change!!) Well, i didn't let that spoil my time, i loved the AOPi's and just laughed, but it was bad when the next day i was known as the margarita girl. I didn't go to any NPC sorority at ECU, but i was really good friends with A lot of AOPi ( my best friend was one).
We still laugh about it to this day!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-07-2002, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

where have I been?

It's always been my understanding that ALL NPC bids are good for one calendar year. What's the deal? Do schools have individual jurisdiction? Of course, we had our bid night and pledging half an hour after PNM's got their bids, and when we extended bids during COB we always said "We're having pledging on Friday so you can initiate by the end of the school year," but of course never breathed a word that the bids were good for a year. I think this information came from an advisor or a TC...anyone out there have a green book? I'm so curious now!

Sorry, off topic, but as a chapter adviser I want to make sure I'm getting everything right.
Old 06-07-2002, 02:59 AM

I think the deal with the bids is if you sign a bid card; you can only pledge that sorority in the next year. All other NPC sororities on that campus can't take you.

I believe campus officials but additional restrictions on to keep chapters from stringing girls along. So XYZ can't bid Rhonda Rushee, ignore her for 6 months, then pledge her cause they have a space to fill. Like if we know we'll have 6 Winter graduates, we can't bid 6 more girls in the Fall or Winter but not pledge them till the Spring.

With SK, a girl has 24 hrs to decide to accept or decline a bid. If she accepts, she must be pledged w/in a certain amount of time. (I think w/in a week.)

What I can't remember is if the year rule applies for informal/cob.
Like if we have a Winter pledge class and a girl dp's. Can she rush another chapter in Spring or Fall? Or does she have to wait until next Winter? I don't remember anyone dp'ing in Winter or Spring so I'm not sure that I ever knew the answer to this.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Last Fall I met this girl on the first nite of Rush. So I get to this girl, who graduated from teh same high school as my next door neighbor (commuter college). So we're talking, and she tells me she was homecoming queen, and it ends up we were both at his homecoming party (even tho I'm 2 years older than her). I told her that my neighbor's sister sent me into this room because her brother's friends were in there hookin up and she didn't want them in there. I walked in on this couple making out and gettin to 2nd or 3rd base. The girl ends up bein the girl that I was talking to! But oh well...she's now my lil sister and best friend!

KLTC
Old 08-04-2002, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Now that we're heading into Recruitment, let's chill out with these stories and some new ones I hope you'll add! Read these stories and you'll meet such fabulous rushees as the overly relaxed PNM, Mike the Pike, Rolly-Eyes Mute B**tch, and Fork Girl!

And be glad you didn't do what my roommate did...backing up to the back of a couch during prefs and doing a back somersault over it...in a short dress...

Old 08-06-2002, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

A couple of my funny recruitment stories...

My junior year, right before preference, my (very long) hair started to catch fire on one of the candles that was too close to my chair. Thank goodness it didn't happen while the pmn's were there! Only a few strands were burned, but we had to open the windows and spray air freshener to get rid of the icky burning hair smell.

Ok, this story is kind of long, sorry! My senior year, one of my sisters was Panhellenic president, so she was disaffiliated during recruitment. On preference night, she had to go to XYZ sorority to talk to them about something, and she got there just as the party was letting out. A few of the girls that we really wanted had preffed there, so she went a few feet away from the house so that they didn't see her and wonder why she was there (since we have sophomore recruitment and it's a small school, it's kind of hard for people to not know what house you're in even if you're really good about following the rules and not being seen with your sisters during recruitment). Anyway, the pmns were being led out by their preference sisters, and each sister told the pmn, "I hope your wish is the same as mine tonight," or something like that. One of the girls we wanted, as soon as she was out of the XYZ sister's earshot (but right near my sister), said, "Yeah, only if your wish is for me to be an AGD!" It was all my sister could do to keep from laughing. Of course, that pmn is now a sister, and we always joke about that story.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Anybody else ever experienced the PNM who ran away? Well, I've had two of them, one each year that I've been a rusher.

My sophomore year during first set, each of us was to "grab" two PNMs at the door. I was the last in line and there were three, so I took all of them. This one girl completely wandered off! I tried to catch her, but my other two PNMs were quite happy where they were standing and didn't seem at all interested in moving. I signaled to a couple of my sisters to intercept her, but each of them would lose her, too. It was as if she had her own rotation schedule in mind. She'd stand there and talk to one group for a minute or two, then move on. She was as sweet as could be, met almost everyone that night and everybody knew who she was. We actually admired her spunk and independence; she was the example of a wonderful PNM with lots of questions to ask, determined to make an informed decision.

I, however, was feeling horrible during that party, worried sick because I'd been told never, never to leave a PNM alone. And there was mine, spinning out of orbit. Complicated by nausea that turned out to be a combination of nerve-induced acid reflux and mild food poisoning, I was running to throw up between parties. Overall, not the best time for my first Rush. [Fortunately the Pepto Bismol had kicked in by the third party, when I met the fabulous woman who was to become my little sis.]

During Pref that year, I accidentally knocked over a vase and spilled water all over the girl I was preffing. She suicided elsewhere but didn't match. We snapped her and she depledged after 4 weeks of wreaking havoc in our new member program (she really, really wanted to be across the hall and made her sentiments clear-- we should have known when she laughed her whole way through our Pledging Ritual). I like to think that my spilling water on her was not the only reason she didn't want to be a Kappa.

My junior year during first set, I actually managed to retain both of my PNMs all the way to the food table. This pair of women couldn't have been more different. The one who wandered off was a stunning beauty, for sure, but I watched her size up her average-looking partner, me, and most other girls in the room in a moment. When we got to the food table, this PNM latched onto a very pretty, young, fun alumna (class of 2000) and wouldn't leave her side. Again, several sisters, actives and alumnae tried to pry her off and get her back to me (or any active, really), but she wouldn't leave Cara and she wouldn't talk to anybody else-- especially not her partner. All they talked about was how our school's party scene was in decline. Needless to say, she was gone after that night.

The only other major "oops" that I made during Recruitment was during second set of my junior year, the Philanthropy Round. I was giving a short welcome spiel, just a little bit about what we were doing and what our philanthropy was about. I finished by saying, "If you have any questions about Kappa's local or national philanthropy, ask the actives at your table. And if you don't..." I just kind of stopped there. If you don't have any questions about our philanthropy... um... I stammered for a minute and finally said, "Then humor us and make some up." My advisor chewed me out big-time after that one.

BTW-- at least on our campus-- as far as I know, FR bids are good for 24 hours, unless the woman deferrs, which she can do for 72. If she is snapped by a group not listed on her signed pref card, she is not bound to that group and can depledge (and pledge another group) at any time. COB bids expire upon the woman's graduation, transfer, or withdrawl from the school. But with COB, the woman is not bound to us for a year if she signs a pref card. Her signing it merely allows us to give her a bid. The other thing is that she does not sign a COB acceptance form.

So here's my question (to Barbara or anybody who knows about NPC regs): Do the individual schools have jurisdiction about the rules for FR bids, COB bids, preference forms, COB forms, etc.? Or are those rules laid out by NPC and everyone has to follow them? Is that a matter of College Panhellenic bylaws or NPC? Please advise. I really want to get us on track here, because I think that my group could be hurt the most if our Panhel doesn't play by the rules. (Feel free to start a new thread so that we might stay on topic in this one.)

Last edited by KappaKittyCat; 08-09-2002 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
I'm not trying to be pretentious, but for some reason the post didn't go through, so I'm trying to give it a little help.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG I have been reading all these rush stories and laughing my head off! Although the one about the pyscho with the screw driver got me REALLY scared. I am so glad those girls are ok. Anyway, I will be partcipating in rush for the first time this year. While some of the stories have made me a lil nervous, I must say I can't wait until I have my own stories to put up here. I went through COB so I honestly have no idea what rush is like. Plus, my best friendwas a Phi Sig and I had become really good friends and hung out with most of the other sisters during the year. So when it came time to bid me, everyone knew who I was and liked me, so to me the process was really awesome. I can't wait to see what happens when I am a rusher. I am really outgoing, not at all shy, and LOVE to talk so this is gonna be a whole lot of fun for me. Will report back once it starts!
Old 08-08-2002, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

KappaKittyCat was talking about the wandering pmn, and it reminded me about how my little sis did the same thing during recruitment. She is really outspoken and opinionated and likes to do her own thing, plus she had already decided before recruitment that she was going to be an AGD. There were a few sisters that she already knew very well, so we intentionally paired her with sisters that didn't know her during the first round of parties. Well, she decided that she didn't feel like meeting new people that night; she wanted to go catch up with those of us she was already friends with. The sister that was supposed to be talking to her got kind of mad that she had run off, but we managed to convince her to give her a chance. At the next round of parties, she came and found me and started talking about how glad she was that she was cut by two of the houses because she really didn't feel like going back there and she didn't really like them anyway. I was trying really hard not to laugh, and I tried to steer the conversation away from that so that she didn't scare the other pmns. It was really nice having her there, though, because she was so hardcore about us already that she practically rushed the other pmns for us. She turned out to be an awesome sister, too!
Old 08-08-2002, 09:23 PM

Talking

One of our sisters was a total nightmare as a rushee!

I was talking to her and having a great conversation. One of my sisters is walking by and tries to do the "Just wanted to say hi!". The rushee pulls her into the conversation. I'm thinking "She's going to make one hell of a rusher but Penney needs to go!" Finally Penney manages to move on and I ask Meghan how long she's known Penney. I'm shocked to find out they'd never met before. Meghan was like that with everyone! Unsuspecting sisters kept getting pulled into conversations. The rotations were getting majorly jacked up. The advisors were freaking out. We can't send in a new sister until the one that's not supposed to be there leaves. No more than two sisters per rushee at a time.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaKittyCat

During Pref that year, I accidentally knocked over a vase and spilled water all over the girl I was preffing. She suicided elsewhere but didn't match. We snapped her and she depledged after 4 weeks of wreaking havoc in our new member program (she really, really wanted to be across the hall and made her sentiments clear-- we should have known when she laughed her whole way through our Pledging Ritual) she depledged. I like to think that my spilling water on her was not the only reason she didn't want to be a Kappa.
And did she ever get into the group across the hall? How rude to do what she did...if I were in that other group and got wind of what she did I personally would NEVER vote to have her as a sister, someone with such little respect for other GLO's.

Quote:

My junior year during first set, I actually managed to retain both of my PNMs all the way to the food table. This pair of women couldn't have been more different. The one who wandered off was a stunning beauty, for sure, but I watched her size up her average-looking partner, me, and most other girls in the room in a moment. When we got to the food table, this PNM latched onto a very pretty, young, fun alumna (class of 2000) and wouldn't leave her side. Again, several sisters, actives and alumnae tried to pry her off and get her back to me (or any active, really), but she wouldn't leave Cara and she wouldn't talk to anybody else-- especially not her partner. All they talked about was how our school's party scene was in decline. Needless to say, she was gone after that night.

The only other major "oops" that I made during Recruitment was during second set of my junior year, the Philanthropy Round. I was giving a short welcome spiel, just a little bit about what we were doing and what our philanthropy was about. I finished by saying, "If you have any questions about Kappa's local or national philanthropy, ask the actives at your table. And if you don't..." I just kind of stopped there. If you don't have any questions about our philanthropy... um... I stammered for a minute and finally said, "Then humor us and make some up." My advisor chewed me out big-time after that one.
KappaStarboy thinks I'm crazy, I'm reading this and laughing and crying at the same time! I can just picture it. He personally thinks that was a great response...but what do guys know And the girl who complained about the party scene being on decline...oy...did she know what kind of a school she was at? Did she end up pledging anywhere?
Old 08-12-2002, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I got rushed by a members of a sorority who was initiated the previous semester during my senior year in college. Funny thing is that she used my little brother to convince me to join my fraternity. Another funny thing, I was wearing an old Rush shirt and she still didn't realized that I'm a member.

Last edited by moe.ron; 08-12-2002 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Does anybody have any weird stories from this year?
Old 09-09-2002, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, not from this year but kinda funny...

Panhel was very strictat my school. No rushee could set foot outside of a chapter house with ANYTHING! So I manned the doors at the end of every party to make sure, but there was never a problem...UNTIL

As this one rushee was leaving she had a handful of candy mints. I tried to tell her she couldn't leave with them (Rho Chis are at the door, too, "policing"), but she didn't get it. I actually had to step out the door and block it so she wouldn't leave. But she wanted them so much she stood there and stuffed them all in her mouth at once!!! We called her Mint Girl for the rest of Rush! But she was at our Pref, so we obviously didn't mind it that much! She went another house, though...