GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Cool Sites

Cool Sites Know of a unique, cool & useful website? Please tell us about it here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,432
3 members and 1,429 guests
FSUZeta, Kevin, PGD-GRAD

Old 09-16-2009, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

This website does seem sort of mean. I have to admit, however, that I sent the website to my friend who is in Iraq right now. She said it made her laugh and feel better about having to be in the sand box.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
I'm lucky that I have the financial means where deciding whether or not to boycott a store based on labor practices is even an option for me.
Good.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Good.
I'm also too busy boycotting Domino's Pizza, but that's another post.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
This website does seem sort of mean. I have to admit, however, that I sent the website to my friend who is in Iraq right now. She said it made her laugh and feel better about having to be in the sand box.
Some of the pictures/commentary do cross the line for me, but some don't fall in that category. If I would think that person looks crazy in any other environment because of their outfit, that's a poor fashion choice and that isn't always tied to race/class/gender. One that comes to mind is the man with a mullet and the description is in a language they assume he speaks. Mullets really aren't that exciting anymore (I see a fierce one every so often, and maybe it is my proximity to Canada and hockey so I am immune ) but a person who is wearing ridiculous underwear that is seen through her dress and it is similar to the store's marketing mascot is funny.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is that based on social or political commentary or because they messed up your order?

I haven't eaten Domino's in years. It's Papa John's on mineS, homie!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Why are you boycotting Domino's?
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

There's a great little pizza place on the corner of my street. I haven't ordered (or eaten) pizza from a chain since moving to my apartment.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

California Pizza Kitchen > all other pizza chains

Old 09-16-2009, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

So, I don't see why laughing at this website automatically equals classism. Poverty doesn't make you go to the store with a shirt on that says "I Hate Queers," nor does it force you to go to Wal-Mart dressed like Elvis Presley or a sorcerer.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

If the humor were found in their socio-economic situation, that would be one thing. But (at least to me) it's not. I also enjoy Glamour magazine Dos and Don'ts; poor fashion choices are funny at every price point. The before-referenced gofugyourself is every bit as funny as peopleofwalmart - sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, after all.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Is that based on social or political commentary or because they messed up your order?

I haven't eaten Domino's in years. It's Papa John's on mineS, homie!
Political.

Also, I just don't like their pizza. There are so many better options.

And my issue with the Walmart pictures is that it just seems to be too specific of a target. Sure, Glamour Don'ts makes fun of people's perceived faux pas, but in a joking way that never specifically identifies people. This is just mean. Why isn't there a "People of Saks Fifth Avenue" or "People of Nordstrom?" I've seen some pretty poorly dressed people there. This one is just too easy of a target and I just think it's mean to pick on people who either don't have the means or just don't care how they dress.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

And my issue with the Walmart pictures is that it just seems to be too specific of a target. Sure, Glamour Don'ts makes fun of people's perceived faux pas, but in a joking way that never specifically identifies people. This is just mean. Why isn't there a "People of Saks Fifth Avenue" or "People of Nordstrom?" I've seen some pretty poorly dressed people there. This one is just too easy of a target and I just think it's mean to pick on people who either don't have the means or just don't care how they dress.
Okay, the next time I'm in Saks and I see an elderly man dressed like a pimp, I'm starting my own website. Done and done.

The thing is, poor people everywhere else in the world DO NOT DRESS LIKE THIS. You don't see beggars in Cambodia dressed like Elvis. You don't see poor schoolchildren in Italy wearing shirts with Nazi Party insignia. For people to say that a website like this is classist is extremely patronizing. No one's dressing like this because they don't have anything else to wear.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Okay, the next time I'm in Saks and I see an elderly man dressed like a pimp, I'm starting my own website. Done and done.

The thing is, poor people everywhere else in the world DO NOT DRESS LIKE THIS. You don't see beggars in Cambodia dressed like Elvis. You don't see poor schoolchildren in Italy wearing shirts with Nazi Party insignia. For people to say that a website like this is classist is extremely patronizing. No one's dressing like this because they don't have anything else to wear.
I'd like to see a fashion intervention in Walmart, where fashion tragedies are taken to clothing in the store. So many people just need clothing that isn't ill fitting or too worn.

However not only should anyone old enough to drive or vote stay away from the Miley Cyrus collection, I wouldn't suggest it for preteens and teenagers either. It was fug and whorish.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post

If you go back and look at the site, I think you do see something that indicate probable poverty and misfortune rather than just bad taste. Not all of it, but some of it.

It is a class based commentary, predominately, I think, because I think the nature of fashion is to value stuff that looks rich basically. What are we really saying when we describe something as "tasteful" or "elegant"?

The most extremely humorous examples on the site where people are clearly making an effort to achieve a particular look, not so much, sure.

I think you can find pictures of poor people globally wearing crazy stuff. Most of it is random American stuff they've probably gotten from aid groups, and they probably are wearing it because they don't have too many other options.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I think you can find pictures of poor people globally wearing crazy stuff.
"Bad fashion. On a budget."

I've seen photos of poor people all over the world wearing things that would be considered unfashionable and tacky.