GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,300
1 members and 2,299 guests
No Members online

Old 01-14-2009, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

It is a "bed rush" at IU. There is no chapter total and no formal quota. Our chapter there sets their own quota which is really their goal number of PNMs.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
It is a "bed rush" at IU. There is no chapter total and no formal quota. Our chapter there sets their own quota which is really their goal number of PNMs.

I'm trying to see if I understand this correctly. I thought chapters at IU had a total but NOT quota.

Doesn't every chapter take as many PNMs as they need to reach total?

For example, if total at IU is 100, and Sorority A has 80 girls, then their quota is 20. If Sorority B has 60 girls, their quota is 40.

Someone please correct me if this is not right.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-14-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

IU Recruitment

There is no set campus total or quota. Each chapter sets their own total based upon the size of their house, and in turn sets quota based upon how many spots they have to fill.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUGreekAlum View Post
There is no set campus total or quota. Each chapter sets their own total based upon the size of their house, and in turn sets quota based upon how many spots they have to fill.

Thank you for the clarification. Since the quota isn't set by the number of PNMs attending preference (like most schools), it makes for a REALLY tough recruitment on the PNM side, as there are usually WAY more PNMs than there are spots in chapters.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
I don't mean to hijack this away from the IU topic, but this seems impossible to me at any school. 800 PMNs? 4 sororities? Only 150 open spots making quota at about 37? If this isn't an exaggeration, something clearly needs to be done on this campus.
I don't mean to hijack either but I think I might know the school she is at (it's been mentioned on here before) and the administration made a decision to cap the number of sororities and fraternities at 4 each, and I believe limit total as well.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
FrankSwim--

I'm not a transfer student and I didn't rush last year because, well, it's a bit of a long story. I knew no one that had gone greek either at IU or any other school, so I knew very little of the process other than the stuff you see in movies. Only one girl from my floor rushed last year, so that didn't help any either. I had considered rushing last year but was unsure, and felt that because I had heard rush was SO competitive, I didn't want to be another person for people to compete with when I wasn't sure. I didn't want to be at houses at 12 party, for example, when I wasn't sure if I wanted to be there, especially when there are other girls who know they want to be there or love the house. As cheesy as it sounds, I didn't want to take a spot at a party or a house away from another girl who genuinely wanted to be there.

However, this year and after seeing what girls in houses were really like and all the opportunities for philanthropies and things like IUDM and IU Sing, it made up my mind to go through and give it a shot!
Okay, I just wanted to know especially if you had rushed as a freshman. From hearing how things may go during informal recruitment, being in a sorority at IU. I have a feeling things will still be very difficult. I don't know, exactly, but only one or two spots, if that, are open a few houses, maybe more at one other. And, I'm only a freshman, so I don't know exactly, but I know a lot of girls are going to be going through informal as well, there's three on my floor alone.

But, hey, if you really want it, I say go for it. I'm just warning you, its still going to be super competitive.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I figured it would be really competitive but it's something I really want to do. So I figured why not give it a shot? Worst thing that can happen is where I am now, as an independent. I just think it sucks that sophomores have like no chance unless you know girls in houses, and I know like 2. But it's the way the process works and it'll work out how it was meant to!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I know when I went to IU (graduated in 97), only three houses went through informal rush and at the time, you had to receive an invitation to come.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
I don't mean to hijack this away from the IU topic, but this seems impossible to me at any school. 800 PMNs? 4 sororities? Only 150 open spots making quota at about 37? If this isn't an exaggeration, something clearly needs to be done on this campus.
I believe quota this year was 37. Good work. I just heard the 800 thing somewhere but I'll look into it.
We also have a local, but they don't go through regular recuritment.

Last edited by LucyAnne17; 01-21-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: whatever.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Figured I'd give you guys a bit of an update...I sent my info off to Panhel like my Rho Gamma suggested and never heard anything back, from either Panhel or any of the chapters doing informal recruitment. So it looks like my Greek story ends here
Old 02-16-2009, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

SO since my last post, things have changed and I just wanted to give you guys an update...I went through informal and have since accepted a bid to....

ALPHA DELTA PI!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to you and Alpha Delta Pi!

Enjoy your new member period and have fun with it.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on Alpha Delta Pi!

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cali_gossip Send a message via Skype™ to cali_gossip
Yay! Congrats on ADPi! I love that two of our members here from IU have tried again and have since found their homes :]

DZ
Old 02-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Banned

Thank you so much for coming back to give us this update. We love to hear that things worked out well!
________
Park Royal 3 Condo Pattaya

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:03 PM.