GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,388
0 members and 1,388 guests
No Members online

Old 12-29-2007, 07:47 PM

Exclamation Rush Advice, I've kinda got a unique story...

I need some advice about what to do here, I really want to join a certain fraternity here on campus because it seems to really fit my presonality type very well...
here's my problem, i recently went to a 'get together' at the house that one of my friends threw who was in the fraternity, he was the only one from the frat who was actually there for a while until one of his friends showed up much later... well i was drinking, as was everyone else, and long story short i made myself look like an ass in front of his friend from the fraternity, [not that i did anything physically but he was kidding around about a sesitive subject and i tryed to blow it off but ended up draggin it out] I know the converation we had will come up at rush because its a very 'interesting' subject...
what do i do? blow it off again and basically pretend it didn't happen or when they ask me about it try to explain it and justify it [again] or do i just not rush that fraternity?...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-29-2007, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I would follow your signature's advice and leave it be. Next time you see them, act like a normal person, i.e., not belligerent and a babbling "drunk". I think talking about it or asking people if you looked like an ass will make them remember it more than they would have. If there were only 2 people and everyone had been drinking, chances are, they didn't give it another thought.

A good friend once told me to only say half of what you THINK about saying. That has saved me from embarrassing myself at least a few times.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
A good friend once told me to only say half of what you THINK about saying. That has saved me from embarrassing myself at least a few times.
Amen!

Old 12-29-2007, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Yes, but unfortunately, alcohol usually has the exact opposite effect and makes you do a data dump of every single random thought you've had all day/week...

4est, I wouldn't stress about it too much. If everyone was drinking like you say they were, they may not remember everything all that clearly themselves and were surely aware that you had been imbibing. Just be sure not to drink so much next time you have the opportunity to be around them and play it much, much cooler. They'll likely write off the first episode and judge you more on your later behavior.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Co-sign on the rest of the thread, with this addition: if, in the future, you end up at another party with guys from the same fraternity, refrain from excessive drinking. AKA, don't get drunk - and if you ARE drunk, start taking it easy right away.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, you may want to read my thread on rush tips in the fraternity recruitment thread
Old 12-30-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
Yeah, you may want to read my thread on rush tips in the fraternity recruitment thread
i did and this wasn't a rush event it was just a get together... and they were also "drunktaneous" ...when i go to things like that i tend to gage how much i drink according to everyone else [basically]
Old 12-31-2007, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est View Post
i did and this wasn't a rush event it was just a get together... and they were also "drunktaneous" ...when i go to things like that i tend to gage how much i drink according to everyone else [basically]
Tis better to moderate your own alcoholic intake than try to match that of others'. No one ever came here looking for advice because they weren't drunk enough.

Just some sage advice from an old lady.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:20 PM

ma'am you make a VERY good point.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est View Post
ma'am you make a VERY good point.
Egads, someone called me ma'am in the store the other day. Twice in one week!

Old 01-01-2008, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Egads, someone called me ma'am in the store the other day. Twice in one week!
ree-xi, I'm 30 and work with military students...I get called ma'am all the time. LOL Oh well, I guess I can consider it an honor. The scary part is that, in four year's time, I'll officially be old enough to be their mother!

4est, what's done is done. I understand that it was a sensitive subject for you; but, you cannot afford any slip-ups right now. Next time, like nittany said, just play it cooler. No need to try and bring it up if you don't have to do so.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 01-01-2008, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

And for future reference - I've yet to ever hear anyone say "Wow - I really wish I had drunk more."
Old 01-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

the members of the fraternity are already in the fraternity, so it really doesn't matter if they makes asses of themselves or not. you, however, are hoping to join a fraternity, so you should be minding your "p's" and "q's". take one drink and nurse if along for the entire evening-you'll keep your wits about you but not come across as a prude. or have a gingerale-it will be hard for anyone to tell if you have a mixed drink or are just having a gingerale.

as to your aforementioned problem, i'm not trying to pry, but we can't give you our best advice not knowing the entire situation. given what you have told us, i would say not to mention the incident unless it is brought up-but you have to acknowledge it if it is. you need to be careful what you say about it, because to deny it ever happened could make you look like a liar and that would definately not be good.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
the members of the fraternity are already in the fraternity, so it really doesn't matter if they makes asses of themselves or not. you, however, are hoping to join a fraternity, so you should be minding your "p's" and "q's". take one drink and nurse if along for the entire evening-you'll keep your wits about you but not come across as a prude. or have a gingerale-it will be hard for anyone to tell if you have a mixed drink or are just having a gingerale.

as to your aforementioned problem, i'm not trying to pry, but we can't give you our best advice not knowing the entire situation. given what you have told us, i would say not to mention the incident unless it is brought up-but you have to acknowledge it if it is. you need to be careful what you say about it, because to deny it ever happened could make you look like a liar and that would definately not be good.
Well said.