GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,441
1 members and 2,440 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-01-2020, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I bet that Howard didn't have 2000 women wanting to be Deltas!
... They do. But they also know that not all of them will be selected at Howard too.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Same with NPCs at Bama--or anywhere else!
Old 07-01-2020, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

That's why I suggested having recs be part of registering with Panhellenic. That way, each PNM would only have, let's say 2, recs sent to the sorority along with their registration info.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
It's as though we haven't been talking about NPHC practices on GC for the past 20 years...

Do folks not know that this is exactly what happens at large HBCUs when the Deltas, AKAs, Alphas, Kappas, whoever, have a line?

At my old job, which was a community service organization, one of the site directors was asked five different times to write letters of recommendation for women wanting to be Deltas at Howard.

It's just the nature of the beast.
Hm. So you’re saying that “recs” for NPHC can come from anyone and not specifically an alumnae of that sorority?

(Been on GC for 10 years and didn’t know this...)
Old 07-01-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
That's why I suggested having recs be part of registering with Panhellenic. That way, each PNM would only have, let's say 2, recs sent to the sorority along with their registration info.
The problem with that is that every sorority’s rec form is different. (Sorority names used randomly) ASA’s form might focus almost exclusively on a woman’s academic history and the classes she’s taken, while KD’s might be more concerned with extracurricular activities.

Recs are part of membership selection and therefore cannot be part of Panhellenic’s province. Also, some rec forms are only available on the private side of websites. The sorority might not want everyone to have access to their rec form.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I bet that Howard didn't have 2000 women wanting to be Deltas!
Ha!!! Also, keep in mind, 2,000 girls are participating in recruitment at Alabama to get into one of multiple chapters. At Howard, our Alpha Chapter and other HBCU’s, there could easily be 750+ ladies vying for 50 spots. Even at large state schools in the Midwest, I’ve heard of 300 to 400 interests trying to get in. It is hard to be a Delta, literally.

I have written a few recommendations, but they were all ladies I knew personally. I was able to speak to who they are and I knew what they could bring to Delta. While I understand that recs are a necessary evil, I wonder if just signing off on a PNM just because she needs it, is helpful to a full evaluation of what she will bring to an org.

From an outsiders perspective who has looked at various college websites about recruitment, the necessity of rec letters could be explained more thoroughly. Perhaps even an explanation about how to get them or who to reach out to get them might be nice. I’ve seen the “recs aren’t necessary,” statements, but I know that’s not always true based on having friends Moms offer to write/find me recs in HS. That wasn’t my path, but if it was I would’ve been covered. Had they not offered, I would’ve had no idea.

Last edited by PersistentDST; 07-01-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The problem with that is that every sorority’s rec form is different. (Sorority names used randomly) ASA’s form might focus almost exclusively on a woman’s academic history and the classes she’s taken, while KD’s might be more concerned with extracurricular activities.

Recs are part of membership selection and therefore cannot be part of Panhellenic’s province. Also, some rec forms are only available on the private side of websites. The sorority might not want everyone to have access to their rec form.
I'm not talking about INSTEAD of the sorority's rec forms; I'm talking about in addition to, so that even those PNMs who don't have sorority recs have a chance to give the groups more than just the objective information on the registration form, with the goal of making the playing field more open to those who might not know, or might not be able, to get sorority recs. Every sorority could still use their own forms for their own alumnae to write sorority-specific recs.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Hm. So you’re saying that “recs” for NPHC can come from anyone and not specifically an alumnae of that sorority?

(Been on GC for 10 years and didn’t know this...)
Noooooottt just anyone. Each of our organizations have their own requirements, but I’m confident we all require more than one letter of rec. Put it this way, additional letters may be required to verify other things...but a letter(s) from an active member(s) is one that is common across the board.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:11 AM
GreekChat Member

One big problem I have with recs is the following situation. Alabama requires recs. I am NOT in Alabama. PNM waits until mid to late June to acquire recs. I don't know how she has handled getting them for every other chapter on campus, but she needs a KD rec. When I was President of my Alumnae Chapter, I would be notified by National that PNM contacted them about getting a KD rec, she she is from my area, can I help her out. I'd check with the members of my AC to see if there is any chance anyone knows her and can write the rec for her but alas, no one knows her. I'd finally meet with her at Starbucks and talk with her. When I filled out the rec, I would state on the form that the information was based on her resume and meeting her for 30 minutes in person. I had no real background on her, had no idea if she did get her recs earlier because she was in Juvenile Hall, no idea if she can afford the expenses, etc. She got her rec, but did not get a sterling recommendation. In fact, it was more of a non-recommendation. I also never received any kind of thank you for taking the time to meet her and of course, I never knew if she joined a chapter, actually went through recruitment, or if she dropped out. This happened a couple of times.

DaffyKD
Old 07-02-2020, 07:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't get that information either - from ANY DG chapter. I don't think we do that any longer. I do hear if she pledged DG but that's it. I think most groups have dropped this...and at Alabama ( where I am) it just can't be done for 2400 PNMs.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
Noooooottt just anyone. Each of our organizations have their own requirements, but I’m confident we all require more than one letter of rec. Put it this way, additional letters may be required to verify other things...but a letter(s) from an active member(s) is one that is common across the board.
Thanks for the clarification
Old 07-02-2020, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I don't get that information either - from ANY DG chapter. I don't think we do that any longer. I do hear if she pledged DG but that's it. I think most groups have dropped this...and at Alabama ( where I am) it just can't be done for 2400 PNMs.

Four years ago I wrote a recommendation for a PNM who went through recruitment as Mississippi State. I had heard from other DG alumnae, that often times they never heard back from the chapter if the PNM pledged DG or joined another organization. My rec girl joined Pi Beta Phi but I was actually surprised and pleased to at least hear back from the DG chapter that she had not pledged but had joined another group.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Four years ago I wrote a recommendation for a PNM who went through recruitment as Mississippi State. I had heard from other DG alumnae, that often times they never heard back from the chapter if the PNM pledged DG or joined another organization. My rec girl joined Pi Beta Phi but I was actually surprised and pleased to at least hear back from the DG chapter that she had not pledged but had joined another group.
Lucky you. I write several a year for them and don't hear back unless they pledge!
Old 07-02-2020, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

So ... why not get rid of "normal" recs and just have no recs? So no one sends in anything unless the PNM in question is an issue.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Because they introduce girls who may be unknown to the chapter, like small-town girls and out-of-state girls.