GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,369
1 members and 1,368 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-19-2019, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, Navane! As a former Fraternity Director of Housing for my GLO I can assure you that HC isn't trying to drive up costs- we try to keep them down...which is hard to do. The university doesn't pay for the houses at Alabama...and the ONLY source of income for HC is the chapter. And we actually have 3 collegians and the main chapter adviser on HC Board. That's more than some groups.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2019, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
And we actually have 3 collegians and the main chapter adviser on HC Board. That's more than some groups.
That's similar to Gamma Phi Beta. Our house corp boards typically have the collegiate president, collegiate financial vice president, collegiate house manager, chapter advisor and the financial advisor. So that's 5 collegiate representatives in addition to the 5-7 elected alumnae board members.

True and Constant
Old 08-19-2019, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ And a wise AHC relies on the chapter reps to provide accurate insights into cost and member wishes and works in collaboration to assure a positive experience and positive relationships.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone got numbers??? Lots of happy faces on Instagram. Would love to hear how SK did in their first formal recruitment!
Old 08-19-2019, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

You know what? There are many things in life I want but simply can't afford. If you want to be a sorority member, but can't afford the fees at Bama, go to a school where the fees are more affordable. You will still have a college degree in the end- and that's what attending college is ultimately about. We have to make monetary decisions all the time as adults. I might really want a BMW, but my budget is telling me I can only afford a Kia, or a Chevrolet, or a Ford. I'm still getting around to the places I need to go.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiPhiERDoc View Post
Anyone got numbers??? Lots of happy faces on Instagram. Would love to hear how SK did in their first formal recruitment!
I was told “about 100” from a volunteer who was there. This could be close or totally off. I’m not sure that this person was focused on the numbers portion

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 08-19-2019, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment 2019 Numbers

Panhellenic numbers...
2281 registered
2239 showed up for Day 1
2007 got bids today
So 232 either dropped or were released

Quota was 106, with secondary quota (upperclass students) at 5.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama_Mama_2 View Post
Quota was 106, with secondary quota (upperclass students) at 5.
People really need to look hard at that secondary quota number. I keep hearing "rushing as an upperclassman is so much easier because of the secondary quota" poppycock more and more frequently. At Alabama, a school so competitive that secondary quotas might as well have been named after them, secondary quota was less than 5% of primary quota. That's not because there weren't many upperclassmen rushing. I hope that those that need it will let that statistic sink in.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Bid Day https://youtu.be/hWby0vBDe8g

(love the girl getting pushed in the wheelchair)

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 08-21-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
People really need to look hard at that secondary quota number. I keep hearing "rushing as an upperclassman is so much easier because of the secondary quota" poppycock more and more frequently. At Alabama, a school so competitive that secondary quotas might as well have been named after them, secondary quota was less than 5% of primary quota. That's not because there weren't many upperclassmen rushing. I hope that those that need it will let that statistic sink in.
Actually that number is based on how many upperclass women turned in a signed MRABA...so it is based on the number of upperclass women in recruitment at that point...just like freshman quota is based on the number of freshman doing same....
Old 08-21-2019, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually that number is based on how many upperclass women turned in a signed MRABA...so it is based on the number of upperclass women in recruitment at that point...just like freshman quota is based on the number of freshman doing same....

But the chapters still have to carry those upperclass women to the end of recruitment, yes? It seems to me that, if they weren't as keen on pledging upperclass women, they could simply release those women earlier in the game.

True and Constant
Old 08-21-2019, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
You know what? There are many things in life I want but simply can't afford. If you want to be a sorority member, but can't afford the fees at Bama, go to a school where the fees are more affordable. You will still have a college degree in the end- and that's what attending college is ultimately about. We have to make monetary decisions all the time as adults. I might really want a BMW, but my budget is telling me I can only afford a Kia, or a Chevrolet, or a Ford. I'm still getting around to the places I need to go.
True! Our oldest got accepted at UGa and wanted to go there but if they were giving out any money, we don't know who got it; she and the other kids in the Top 20 of her class were only given the Hope Grant! (And the guy who was #5 had a dad who worked there.) Then Georgia Southern offered her a free ride plus and her decision was made.

She has had a fabulous career and made lifelong friends there.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm with Sheila that sororities are expensive at UA is kind of like saying water is wet. Look at the houses! Granted, it's not super expensive to live in them, but you can still just tell this is an overall affluent system. I grew up in a low income family- there are things you can and cannot afford. You deal with it. If you're smart enough to go to college, be smart enough to make a budget so you can attend a school where you can enjoy activities and afford to live at the same time. The women at my school had a good (albeit not anywhere near SEC, but good in other ways) sorority experience. Sometimes in life you have to take what's available to you and just make the best of it. We can't all live in gorgeous mansions!
Old 08-21-2019, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am well aware of how RFM works and quota is calculated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
But the chapters still have to carry those upperclass women to the end of recruitment, yes? It seems to me that, if they weren't as keen on pledging upperclass women, they could simply release those women earlier in the game.
Yes, this. Plus a large factor is the upperclassman PNM dropout rate before they even get to preference, because it turns out that upperclassman recruitment isn't easier and Top Tier Tau and Phrat Phavorite Phi still dropped them.

Maybe it's easier to look at it this way. There are 17 sororities that participate in primary recruitment at Alabama. That means roughly 85 women categorized as upperclassmen received bids (17 x 5). Do we really believe there were anywhere near as few as 85 upperclassman PNMs in that group of 2239 who showed up for the first day of recruitment? I would love to see that number.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
I'm trying to understand how this works here.

Example: There are 10 chapters. 1000 women sign up for recruitment. There are 900 freshmen and 100 upperclassmen. The rounds go on, PNMs are cut, and remaining are 800 freshmen and 80 upperclassmen.

A combined quota would be 88 (800 freshman plus 80 upperclassmen divided by 10 chapters). But separate quotas would be 80 for the freshmen and 8 for the upperclassmen... which is still the same number.

So how is having an upperclassmen quota a benefit? Does it require a certain number of upperclassmen PNMs to be carried through each round?

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 08-21-2019 at 06:12 PM.