GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 580
0 members and 580 guests
No Members online

Old 01-10-2002, 11:44 PM

Verbal Assault and Sexual Harassment...

At my stage of life, I'm not particularly offended by the use of inappropriate words (I think I've probably heard them all used in remarkably creative ways) but you all might want to consider this...

As you move into the business or everyday work world, the use of many of the words used so freely on this forum are grounds for legal action.

Running off at the mouth is a stupid reason to lose a job or, as a manager, get sued.

Maybe we should all try to wean ourselves away from gratuitous use of sexually connotative words and other unsavory comments. It's a hard habit to break.

Just a thought.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 01-11-2002 at 12:43 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-11-2002, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

my parents are very conservative, extremely religious people. my mother believes that the work 'butt' is dirty. i however, am far from having a clean mouth. over the years i have developed the reflex to act in each situation as may be appropriate. when out with my friends i can swear like a sailor (i used to date one) but when in a parental, church, or professional environment nothing slips out. i think it's all a matter of knowing what's appropriate and when.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
I disagree. We all need a forum to come to and vent, why not here? If one is not mature enough to know they must censor themselves in the real world, then the lesson they will learn will be needed and deserved.

The world is already far too politically correct. I feel its ebbing away at our first ammendment rights bit by bit. We all know when someone grossly crosses the line and the GC community is quick to jump on it... let's let the more minor everyday stuff go.

I've been the victim of both verbal assault (my ex boss and my ex husband) and sexual harassment (a former co-worker who was fired as a result of it). Neither is any fun. Both make the victim feel like they are 2 feet tall. But I don't think anyone on this board would mistake random venting, playful flirting, and sarcasm for either. The few times its gone too far its been handled and dealt with, if not within the community, by the admins.

Just my thought-
Amy
Old 01-11-2002, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

thank you amy! that's the general thought i was trying to get at, you just put it much better!
Old 01-11-2002, 12:49 AM

Read my comment again. I'm talking about the gratuitous use of words -- using them for shock value -- not to simply make a point.

Or just being crude.

I think there's a difference.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

There is a difference.

However, part of maturity is being able to make the seperation. A mature person should know that comments/tone/colloquial language that is acceptable in a forum such as this is not as acceptable in a professional setting. If you're a mature person, you have the self-control to carry your tone in Greek Chat, or other more relaxed social settings, over into more formal settings.

Like Amy said - if you're not mature enough to make the distinction between a forum like this and a professional setting - maybe you deserve to screw up to realize it.

Collin
Old 01-11-2002, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Delt Alum,

I understood your post.
My statement stands whether the language is used in a sentence colloquially (sp) or as an expletive out of emotion/passion/anger.

Amy
Old 01-11-2002, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Well . . . I mean, I'd hate to see anyone get fired either, but I can think of dozens of examples of times where a "10 dollar word" will get you in far more trouble than some random f-bombs or references to one's junk . . . think 'truck stop'

Life is situational - this is no different. Intent is key in a lot of ways - Chris Rock has shown all of us that using the f-bomb and other such language (FOR SHOCK VALUE NO LESS) can definitely be used to convey a point more effectively. Also, I'm sure I can sexually harrass someone, or insult them, or offend them, using the highest-level diction possible - see Winston Churchill for numerous examples of how to parlay this into everyday use.

I think that this sort of attitude leads to bad prescedent - that some words carry more weight than others, and it forces looking at connotation rather than denotation. If a person is sexually harrassing someone, it had damn well better be based on intent, rather than on a misplaced word - otherwise, we're talking about rarified piles of angus droppings.

Now, I realize that since I'm still in school, my daily language probably ventures more toward the gutter than most of you out in the workforce - but the facts remain that I can use words like "fuckers" and "assbag" and "dick" and even more, without using them in a manner DIRECTLY offensive to anyone. I also know that, in a forum such as this, this sort of dialogue may not fit every person's ideal of expressive language, but that this situation favors me as the speaker, as it is an implicitly colloquial environment - everyday speech is the norm. I see no reason to assume that people here carry their typing patterns into everyday life, especially in terms of 'occupational environment.'

Furthermore, I will continue to speak as such - from this point on, I entreat every person to judge me on what I have to say, and not on how I say it. Except KSigKid, who can go fuck himself - use the butternut squash douche bag, no lube.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:35 AM

don't listen to what ksigrc has to say, he is a total knob
Old 01-11-2002, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone says they understand what Delt Alum is saying, but I don't think you really do-Heck I could be reading it wrong...

When I was in college(F-so EASY to pick up) and until the time I married the "F" word was a part of my everyday vocabulary. It
felt very liberating to say "OH F-" "F-Off" "F-You" I felt like it was part of my freedom. When I got married the F word would pepper my conversation, but I noticed it wasn't like it used to be
There would be the polite laugh and perhaps a few others that used the word, but I really began to feel uncomfortable-it DID slip out at the wrong moments and when you are in "polite" company, it can have a real negative affect on more thn just the gathering. The men started talking about one of the wives in particular who could get really creative. The more she spoke that way, the more she turned people off. She became looked upon as cheap and vulagar. Vulgar is a word you NEVER want used to describe you in the "social" world...it is a killer. Most of us killed the "F" word at the point of that realization. Then comes KIDS---
nothing too hard to understand there.

So-I think it's rather "natural" for young adults to freely use the "F" word. I also know that it is SOOOOO hard a habit to break.
It WILL slip out, even when you are on your toes. It WILL brand you if you are in a generational mix---it can also HARM you socially and business wise. When you are in an social situation, the really impressive thing to do is say "F-U" in a way that no one but the receiver is offended. It's calldTHE VELVET GLOVE!
Old 01-11-2002, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I really have to think on this one!!!!!

All of the words are in my vocabulary! Ever drive a police car and find out about your heritage? I never used a lot of BAD WORDS TILL THEN!

Yep I know them all! And in many languages well only that part! I little Ole Blue Hair Ladies who come in and talk like salt sea sailors!!!!! Or China Marines!!!!!!

AH WELL SCREW IT!!!!!!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-11-2002, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
Everyone says they understand what Delt Alum is saying, but I don't think you really do-Heck I could be reading it wrong...
This is exactly how I read it.

Again - your point about generational gaps, differences in diction, and etc goes along with exactly what I'm saying. I assume it's a type of transition thing - you play one game until you're too tall to ride, then proceed with the next. The velvet glove is great - but I'm saying it doesn't relieve people of responsibility etc for intent and action, and that simple vulgarity isn't enough for me to drop the glass hammer on someone.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom

When I was in college(F-so EASY to pick up) and until the time I married the "F" word was a part of my everyday vocabulary. It
felt very liberating to say "OH F-" "F-Off" "F-You" I felt like it was part of my freedom. When I got married the F word would pepper my conversation, but I noticed it wasn't like it used to be
There would be the polite laugh and perhaps a few others that used the word, but I really began to feel uncomfortable-it DID slip out at the wrong moments and when you are in "polite" company, it can have a real negative affect on more thn just the gathering. The men started talking about one of the wives in particular who could get really creative. The more she spoke that way, the more she turned people off. She became looked upon as cheap and vulagar. Vulgar is a word you NEVER want used to describe you in the "social" world...it is a killer. Most of us killed the "F" word at the point of that realization. Then comes KIDS---
nothing too hard to understand there.

So-I think it's rather "natural" for young adults to freely use the "F" word. I also know that it is SOOOOO hard a habit to break.
It WILL slip out, even when you are on your toes. It WILL brand you if you are in a generational mix---it can also HARM you socially and business wise. When you are in an social situation, the really impressive thing to do is say "F-U" in a way that no one but the receiver is offended. It's calldTHE VELVET GLOVE!
Never ever been hard for me to control at all. There is times when you say and times that you don't. The times are hard to explain.....its just someone has to be really dumb to ever get caught in a situation where you use the f word when you are not supposed to. It is used by me to my cloest friends that are in my age group.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:55 PM
Banned

Cool

I DO understand both DeltAlum and justamom. It has nothing to do with being dumb. When you constantly use the words "s---", "d---n", and "f--k", it becomes a part of your regular vocab. THEY DO SLIP OUT AT TIMES, no matter hard you try. I myself am expecially vulnerable to say it when I am mad, suprised, or disgusted. Fortunately, I have not had many dilemas with that....yet. What they are saying is when curse left and right it becomes a habit that is hard to break, that may cause you trouble in different social settings.

I remember when I was in high school I used to say the phrase "that's gay" left and right. People at my high school were'nt openly gay. But, people at my college are. I remember saying that in front of a gay person twice, because it slipped. . Since then, the word was deleted from vocab.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

This reminded me of a story-
My son was in 5th grade and I walked by my bedroom. He was hiding behind the bed whispering on the phone to a friend. I heard him say. "Page 695....no, it's page 695.......P-U-S-S-Y....."
He had one dictionary and his friend obvously had a different one!
I don't think they found what they were looking for...