GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 960
3 members and 957 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 04-04-2019, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
My husband is an alum of one of the UTA fraternities and had some specifics. Apparently one of the fraternities (who I will leave nameless) recently had a party to announce their little sisters. At said party, one of the fraternity new members was forced to drink heavily and ended up in the hospital with a .5 BAC. That is very near death.

This was pretty much the final straw. Looks like UTA has been ignoring issues in the Greek community for a while.

Sexual Assault and Alcohol Abuse at UTA
Well that is not what they said. It will be interesting to see what the Arlington Voice investigation digs up. I am still skeptical of punishment for all because one house did something bad. Punish the offenders.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
Well that is not what they said. It will be interesting to see what the Arlington Voice investigation digs up. I am still skeptical of punishment for all because one house did something bad. Punish the offenders.
Agreed. And banning Greek life will by no means end sexual assault on campus. Neither will it fix the problem of how universities deal with it.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

More trouble at UT Arlington.

A woman has alleged that she was sexually assaulted at a fraternity house over the weekend. Apparently, prohibiting all Greek social events did not stop assaults in fraternity houses. Shocking.

UTA Police investigating rape
Old 05-09-2019, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

UTA is my alma mater so I have been trying to keep somewhat of an eye on this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Wtf? So basically, no one actually did anything, but they think if they keep Greeks from having activities everything will be fine. I’m sure this will prevent all the bad behavior that happens in dorms, off campus apartments and athletic houses.
Basically this.

They tried doing this when I was an undergrad ~15 years ago. Essentially, one or two IFC orgs acted up at a retreat and, because no one would go on record, they tried holding everyone accountable.

Back then, a TON of us (my loud ass included lol) raised a stink so that was overturned quickly. Plus, we had a lot more support (read: mintority/NPHC/MGC resources) so staff stood up for us when the hammer came down unnecessarily.

I hope someone on staff steps up for current membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
Are these numbers correct? Anyone else think it is odd that they would have 31 chapters and only 800 members throughout the Greek community? Seems very low.
That seems right. UTA was (and kind of still is) a largely commuter campus, even given its size. It's gotten bigger and more "traditional" since I've left, but I can't imagine that things have switched up enough for our numbers to be on par with SEC or anything.

Most of the chapters are small-ish.
If I remember correctly, chapter totals for IFC/NPC were ~30-60. NPHC and MGC were lower (<20).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
My husband is an alum of one of the UTA fraternities and had some specifics. Apparently one of the fraternities (who I will leave nameless) recently had a party to announce their little sisters. At said party, one of the fraternity new members was forced to drink heavily and ended up in the hospital with a .5 BAC. That is very near death.

This was pretty much the final straw. Looks like UTA has been ignoring issues in the Greek community for a while.

Sexual Assault and Alcohol Abuse at UTA
Yea I remember a lot of crap like that happening. I'm glad they are taking action, but they swung the pendulum too far this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
Amen.